Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I have posted this report on our Sister site RVOC as the tyres in question are more akin to RV tyres than those used by Euro Motor Homes.
BUT,
The maximum age recommendations for both Euro and RV tyres are about the same, 6-7 years
I find the report interesting because the Dept for Transport Safety Section appear to be saying our tyres are Good for a much longer period than that given out by the tyre Manf almost 50% longer and even longer when used on the rear axle as one of a pair
Whats your view having read the report

The report can be read
Link Removed

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
in no way at all am i an expert so this is a question more than a statement...

are the variances due to the use? as in MH/RV tend to stand for longer and buses etc dont, although id have though that lots of use (going round and round use) would be more likely to reduce the life due to wear and tear than just stood standing use

is it just because manufacturers are:
1) playing very safe
2) spouting crap to get more sales?
3) right - and the coroners report is wrong?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Maybe manufacturers are using a worst case use scenario then adding a safety buffer.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Interesting findings. How old is the report ! Is it possible to provide a link to the complete report, I've done a quick search myself but I'm unable to find it.

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Interesting findings. How old is the report ! Is it possible to provide a link to the complete report, I've done a quick search myself but I'm unable to find it.

It is old ---------------------- almost 6 hrs now Brian:winky:
I have to be on the ball after a certain member pointed out one of my reports had been seen before::bigsmile:

Issued to day by the new DVSA the link I posted was taken from a Vosa e -mail to a >Gov public service page HERE
PS that is the full report

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I had a tyre go on my VW T5 at 78mph on the M5 5 4 weeks ago, managed to pull in quick before it shreded so could inspect it afterwards, the tyre depot concluded it was breaking down with age and the crazing was obvious when looked at closely, it was dated 2007, It was one of the pair of original Michelins and the other one shows no age problems at all allthough I will change that shortly

Dave

The tyre depot told me michelins and continentals were the worst for this

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I wonder how many commercial coaches and buses manage to get 10 years out of a tyre with the mileages they do each year ?

i would think 10 years was the rare exception.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
George

Geo, have you had the VOSA news sheet regarding diesel particulate trap test on MOT, or the info on bus and truck tyres?
The tyres issue may be of interest to RV owners?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I had a tyre go on my VW T5 at 78mph on the M5 5 4 weeks ago, managed to pull in quick before it shreded so could inspect it afterwards, the tyre depot concluded it was breaking down with age and the crazing was obvious when looked at closely, it was dated 2007, It was one of the pair of original Michelins and the other one shows no age problems at all allthough I will change that shortly

Dave

The tyre depot told me michelins and continentals were the worst for this

Yes, the only tyres I have ever seen that are perished before they are 10 years old are Michelins, in fact I had a pair on my car which are 4 years old & are perished as I discovered when I started to get a low speed wobble the other day.

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Geo, have you had the VOSA news sheet regarding diesel particulate trap test on MOT, or the info on bus and truck tyres?
The tyres issue may be of interest to RV owners?

Yes John, posted both on here and RVOC:thumb::thumb:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I am not sure the report can be interpreted as saying tyres under 10 years old can be classed as "good". I suspect they simply didn't have the evidence to support a lower figure, which is not quite the same thing.

The situation now is if there is another similar accident to the one mentioned in the report the vehicle operator will have to explain why they ignored official advice and this might be used to assess culpability and the severity of any charges brought. It may not be law yet but it is a start and as any further evidence comes to light the guidance may change and may yet become law.

Good practice may be to change tyres earlier but the Department seems to have decided not to go that far.

Last edited:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
we check the walls on our tyres on all our vehicles at least every 2 months and they are checked when the vehicles go in for service and for MOT

Peter_n_Margaret

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Funster No
MH
"C" class 4WD DIY
Exp
About 20 years
I agree with a maximum safe age for tyres being 10 years.

An inspection is useful for finding physical damage, but it will not indicate age related deterioration which includes reduced flexibility leading to higher heat build up which leads to catastrophic failure.

All tyre problems are further exacerbated by overloading, a common feature of RVs.

I advise caravanners to fit wheels and tyres to their caravan which can be exchanged with those on their tug. That way there is a much better chance of wearing them all out before their expiry date comes up and they become dangerous.

Cheers,
Peter

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Tyres

As i have said on the RV Owners Club forum,i am reluctant to comment on this subject because i get accused of trying to sell tyres whereas in fact i am just trying to give people advice.knowing what i know and seeing some of the tyres that we have changed over the years with age related failure i stick by my beliefs that tyres should be changed at 7yrs max.the damage that can be caused by tyre failure could be massive not to mention the safety issues.tyres can look in mint condition on the outside but its the internal degradation that cannot be seen that is the danger.
brian

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I wish I could get 6 or 7 years out of my tyres :Sad:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
In support of tyre manufacturers, when I spoke to a technical support lady at Continental a few months ago, she said that they would expect a properly cared-for tyre to last at least 5 years - wear and tear allowing. She said that at 10 years old, they would be more concerned and that there was a greater chance of sidewall deterioration.

Obviously, it all depends on how tyres are treated, and I'm sure some need changing far sooner. The reason for my call to Continental was to check what would be a good all-weather / snow & ice replacement for the present Vanco tyres that I've had on for 5 years. The advice was that if the tyres are in good condition, they don't need changing yet.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
As i have said on the RV Owners Club forum,i am reluctant to comment on this subject because i get accused of trying to sell tyres whereas in fact i am just trying to give people advice.knowing what i know and seeing some of the tyres that we have changed over the years with age related failure i stick by my beliefs that tyres should be changed at 7yrs max.the damage that can be caused by tyre failure could be massive not to mention the safety issues.tyres can look in mint condition on the outside but its the internal degradation that cannot be seen that is the danger.
brian

I agree Brian, I have upset Bill a few times by insisting the tyres that look good are changed due to age, tread is still great no obvious signs of cracks externally but when taken off you can see where they are starting to powder on the inside, Im no expert but reckon thats cos our leisure vehicles spend more time standing than rolling so get tiny 'flat spots' - i look at them as you would a piece of elastic stretch in in one spot all the while and that area looses its ability to stretch and return to normal even though the rest of the elastic is good

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
I dont know whether this is a sensible question or a blonde moment question

I know internal means inside and degradation means breakdown/wearntear etc but

can someone please explain what internal degradation is

why it occurs

what causes it

and why there are no checks for this

many thanks

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I dont know whether this is a sensible question or a blonde moment question

I know internal means inside and degradation means breakdown/wearntear etc but

can someone please explain what internal degradation is

why it occurs

what causes it

and why there are no checks for this

many thanks
In laymans terms Gail "degradation" is the drying out of the rubber, tyres in daily use suffer less because the molecules are constantly being stirred and re bonding takes place
tyres that stand dry out quicker even more so with the help of UV light from the sun
whilst the outside of tyres are often treated or dressed by the owners the inside cant be done so a very smart looking tyre can be a mess inside often demonstrated by hundreds of little rubber balls inside, Tyre removal refitting and balancing is to expensive just for an internal inspection, especially when damage to the tyre is most likely as well due to loss of flexibility, who would pay for the replacment??
Geo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back