Insurers want copy of licences

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Easyliving, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

Hi

This is not strictly motorhome related but it could turn out to be. I recently insured my car with a subsidiary of Liverpool Victoria Insurance via a broker.

A couple of days after paying up I received an email saying I had to provide photocopies of my licence (photocard and paper version, front and back) within 7 days or they would charge me £15.

I have been in touch with the broker to tell them I won't be sending any copies and I won't be paying £15 either. Apparently, if I don't play ball they will cancel my policy!

It was a ridiculously cheap deal so this is not the end of the world and I will fight for a refund of course.

Just wondered if anyone else has come accross this? First time I have been asked to do this in 40 years of buying car insurance.

Paul

2. neilydun

neilydun Read Only Funster

I have just taken out a new policy, I had to provide

Proof of ncb
    license, paper and card, both sides, all drivers
    copy of utility bill
    copy of log book

I asked if they wanted my birth certificate, but apparently they did n`t need it !

3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Our van (and previous one) have been insured through Highway (part of LV) via Frank Pickles for three years and we've never had to provide copies of licences. Similarly with the cars (current and previous) insured through the AA.

4. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

We also took a new policy out and they also asked for these - our daughter is also on the insurance as a named driver but she had lost the pink card part of the licence - they said she must provide it within 15 days, we said not to worry as she only used the card once last year. They said that if we took her off the policy it would cost us another £35.00. We could also change the policy to husband and wife, but it would mean cancelling the initial policy and that would incur a £45.00 cancellation charge, we paid for daughter to order another card for £20 on-line. They also wanted proof of NCD, we sent a copy, but they couldn't honour it as our previous insurers would not confirm it to them when they rang them as asked as we hadn't authorised it. We had to ring them first to say that it was OK for them to divulge this info. If we hadn't of being going away in a few days we would have challenged everything.

We asked why they needed the copies, they said it was to prove if you had a valid licence, but we said we had an accident and we did not have valid licences you wouldn't pay out, but they were having none of it.

Won't be using them next year that's for sure.

Can't remember the name of the insurers now, paperwork at home.

Nigel and Pamala

5. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

If it was not explained to you over the phone that they would need you to copy and send things then that is not part of your contract with them and they should not be threatening customers with we will make you pay if you do not

6. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

To be honest I cant see the problem.

Would be interested to know what are your main concerns about them seeing a copyof your license? And I am missing something?

Whenever I have started a new job and had to drive pool cars etc I have had to gve a photocopy of my license to my new employer.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

Seems sensible to me. It might prevent, or help to prevent people driving vehicles they legally cannot drive - for example - my motorhome is 5000kg so someone passing a car test today cannot legally drive it.

Russell

• Like Like x 2
  8. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Errr maybe its just me but why is this a problem? The insurance company is taking you on unknown as a potential risk, in your own words " at a ridiculously low price" why not send photocopies/scans of licences?

D.

• Like Like x 3
  9. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

far too many people lie on their insurance quote forms, either not licenced, or not admitting previous claims or convictions. these people are then uninsured costing every other legitimate driver more money.

this is just common sense to ask for documentary evidence of what you claim to be fact. I posted a while ago about reminding people to check their photo licences as many dont realise they only last 10 years. government figures recon thousands are driving on expired licences. if so youre not insured

if you dont want to provide the evidence, stop driving, its that simple

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

The more documents and proof I need to provide, the happier I am knowing that there will be less uninsured, untaxed cars on the road.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Its not a problem that you have to but you should be told BEFORE they have had your money.In a claim the first thing they ask for is your licence

12. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Really? In the million plus miles I've covered from behind a steering wheel I've been involved in a couple of accidents, only one that was my fault and on none of those occasions was I asked for my licence!

Maybe you sholud be told in advance that they will want copies of docs but so what if they don't tell you, is it that difficult to scan and e-mail a copy of your licence? And more to the point in this case would you really "demand a refund" of what was a cheap insurance deal because they want some proof of who you are and what you're licenced to dirve so that you can go somewhere else and pay more (for the sake of £15 and a few minutes effort) for your insurance? REALLY? WOULD YOU????? I wouldn't!

D.

13. Angus dog

Angus dog

What is the big deal ?I recently insured a new mh and was asked for the licence before I paid anything

• Like Like x 1
  14. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

If it keeps cost down no problem

15. vwalan

vwalan Funster

could also be that they have read your avatar on here . full time means different rules .
    address,s etc can cause probs when full-time .

16. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

You will soon find all insurers will require copy details as it is now known many drivers drive with out the proper Liecence for the catagory. Since the changes a few years ago
    Now they will check it is reported they are looking at restricting new drivers to low CC to stop new young drivers driving high powered cars
    The debate is what size should it be 1.4 or 1.6cc
    I say with new cars it should be 1.1cc for five years
    A bloody idiot in a 2.5BMW hit my Rv on a round about two weeks ago
    The young fool will kill some one driving like a racing driver on a public road

What a mess. Now I may loose my NCB.
    What a world. We live in

17. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

my present and previous insurance policies have all said
    "provided you hold or are not barred from holding the appropriate licence" so an expired licence wouldnt cancel the insurance

18. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Err, I think it might.

19. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

insurers have no intention of limiting new drivers to small cars other than by price which they already do if you have enough money someone will take the risk

20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

That's a good point. Before we put the deposit down on our first van the sales woman asked to see our licences. Given that Highway knew we had been insured for 5 years before we transferred to them maybe that was sufficient indication that licence conditions had been met.