Insurers want copy of licences (1 Viewer)

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi

This is not strictly motorhome related but it could turn out to be. I recently insured my car with a subsidiary of Liverpool Victoria Insurance via a broker.

A couple of days after paying up I received an email saying I had to provide photocopies of my licence (photocard and paper version, front and back) within 7 days or they would charge me £15.

I have been in touch with the broker to tell them I won't be sending any copies and I won't be paying £15 either. Apparently, if I don't play ball they will cancel my policy!

It was a ridiculously cheap deal so this is not the end of the world and I will fight for a refund of course.

Just wondered if anyone else has come accross this? First time I have been asked to do this in 40 years of buying car insurance.

Paul

Apr 18, 2013
Nuthampstead
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
since 2013
I have just taken out a new policy, I had to provide

Proof of ncb
license, paper and card, both sides, all drivers
copy of utility bill
copy of log book

I asked if they wanted my birth certificate, but apparently they did n`t need it !

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our van (and previous one) have been insured through Highway (part of LV) via Frank Pickles for three years and we've never had to provide copies of licences. Similarly with the cars (current and previous) insured through the AA.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We also took a new policy out and they also asked for these - our daughter is also on the insurance as a named driver but she had lost the pink card part of the licence - they said she must provide it within 15 days, we said not to worry as she only used the card once last year. They said that if we took her off the policy it would cost us another £35.00. We could also change the policy to husband and wife, but it would mean cancelling the initial policy and that would incur a £45.00 cancellation charge, we paid for daughter to order another card for £20 on-line. They also wanted proof of NCD, we sent a copy, but they couldn't honour it as our previous insurers would not confirm it to them when they rang them as asked as we hadn't authorised it. We had to ring them first to say that it was OK for them to divulge this info. If we hadn't of being going away in a few days we would have challenged everything.

We asked why they needed the copies, they said it was to prove if you had a valid licence, but we said we had an accident and we did not have valid licences you wouldn't pay out, but they were having none of it.

Won't be using them next year that's for sure.

Can't remember the name of the insurers now, paperwork at home.

Nigel and Pamala

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
If it was not explained to you over the phone that they would need you to copy and send things then that is not part of your contract with them and they should not be threatening customers with we will make you pay if you do not

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
To be honest I cant see the problem.

Would be interested to know what are your main concerns about them seeing a copyof your license? And I am missing something?

Whenever I have started a new job and had to drive pool cars etc I have had to gve a photocopy of my license to my new employer.

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Seems sensible to me. It might prevent, or help to prevent people driving vehicles they legally cannot drive - for example - my motorhome is 5000kg so someone passing a car test today cannot legally drive it.

Russell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Errr maybe its just me but why is this a problem? The insurance company is taking you on unknown as a potential risk, in your own words " at a ridiculously low price" why not send photocopies/scans of licences?

D.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
far too many people lie on their insurance quote forms, either not licenced, or not admitting previous claims or convictions. these people are then uninsured costing every other legitimate driver more money.

this is just common sense to ask for documentary evidence of what you claim to be fact. I posted a while ago about reminding people to check their photo licences as many dont realise they only last 10 years. government figures recon thousands are driving on expired licences. if so youre not insured

if you dont want to provide the evidence, stop driving, its that simple

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
The more documents and proof I need to provide, the happier I am knowing that there will be less uninsured, untaxed cars on the road.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Its not a problem that you have to but you should be told BEFORE they have had your money.In a claim the first thing they ask for is your licence

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Its not a problem that you have to but you should be told BEFORE they have had your money.In a claim the first thing they ask for is your licence

Really? In the million plus miles I've covered from behind a steering wheel I've been involved in a couple of accidents, only one that was my fault and on none of those occasions was I asked for my licence!

Maybe you sholud be told in advance that they will want copies of docs but so what if they don't tell you, is it that difficult to scan and e-mail a copy of your licence? And more to the point in this case would you really "demand a refund" of what was a cheap insurance deal because they want some proof of who you are and what you're licenced to dirve so that you can go somewhere else and pay more (for the sake of £15 and a few minutes effort) for your insurance? REALLY? WOULD YOU????? I wouldn't!

D.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
could also be that they have read your avatar on here . full time means different rules .
address,s etc can cause probs when full-time .

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
You will soon find all insurers will require copy details as it is now known many drivers drive with out the proper Liecence for the catagory. Since the changes a few years ago
Now they will check it is reported they are looking at restricting new drivers to low CC to stop new young drivers driving high powered cars
The debate is what size should it be 1.4 or 1.6cc
I say with new cars it should be 1.1cc for five years
A bloody idiot in a 2.5BMW hit my Rv on a round about two weeks ago
The young fool will kill some one driving like a racing driver on a public road

What a mess. Now I may loose my NCB.
What a world. We live in

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
far too many people lie on their insurance quote forms, either not licenced, or not admitting previous claims or convictions. these people are then uninsured costing every other legitimate driver more money.

this is just common sense to ask for documentary evidence of what you claim to be fact. I posted a while ago about reminding people to check their photo licences as many dont realise they only last 10 years. government figures recon thousands are driving on expired licences. if so youre not insured

if you dont want to provide the evidence, stop driving, its that simple

my present and previous insurance policies have all said
"provided you hold or are not barred from holding the appropriate licence" so an expired licence wouldnt cancel the insurance

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
"provided you hold or are not barred from holding the appropriate licence" so an expired licence wouldnt cancel the insurance

Err, I think it might.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
You will soon find all insurers will require copy details as it is now known many drivers drive with out the proper Liecence for the catagory. Since the changes a few years ago
Now they will check it is reported they are looking at restricting new drivers to low CC to stop new young drivers driving high powered cars
The debate is what size should it be 1.4 or 1.6cc
I say with new cars it should be 1.1cc for five years
A bloody idiot in a 2.5BMW hit my Rv on a round about two weeks ago
The young fool will kill some one driving like a racing driver on a public road

What a mess. Now I may loose my NCB.
What a world. We live in

insurers have no intention of limiting new drivers to small cars other than by price which they already do if you have enough money someone will take the risk

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
What is the big deal ?I recently insured a new mh and was asked for the licence before I paid anything

That's a good point. Before we put the deposit down on our first van the sales woman asked to see our licences. Given that Highway knew we had been insured for 5 years before we transferred to them maybe that was sufficient indication that licence conditions had been met.

Apocalypse

Free Member
Jun 11, 2013
Halesowen, West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato hi-line
Exp
As a director of a company I have to undersign a declaration that all my staff have license checks every 6 months, the relevance is bloody obvious, you claim under obligatory law that your license is as stated on your declaration to be insured on your policy, surely if a broker requests a copy of your license, you should be obligated to provide a copy...........Mr Singh
:rollonfloor:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
insurers have no intention of limiting new drivers to small cars other than by price which they already do if you have enough money someone will take the risk

worse is them old fogies in their great big m,homes .never driven much stuff bigger than a cortinas then retire and get a big m,home . never had an accident in 50yrs but caused hundreds .hee hee.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I have just taken out a new policy, I had to provide

Proof of ncb
license, paper and card, both sides, all drivers
copy of utility bill
copy of log book

[HI]I asked if they wanted my birth certificate, but apparently they did n`t need it [/HI]!

because your DOB is on your driving licence.,........:thumb:

::bigsmile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

sorry but youre sadly deluded if you think an invalid licence, as in a material fact you should notify your insurer, wont invalidate your policy. in the real world insurance companies pay lawyers to avoid claims on such grounds.

an unlicenced driver is an uninsured driver FACT

"provided you [HI]hold[/HI](as in its valid) or are [HI]not barred[/HI](as in currently cant hold such licence) from holding the appropriate licence"

It really couldnt be simpler. It is down to you the driver to make sure you comply with the conditions of insurance, such as holding the correct and valid licence, or your wasting your money as they wont pay

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Don't see any problem with providing copies as requested.

Only bit of advice is that you should enclose a letter to the effect that the copies are solely for verification of entitlement to drive / driving licence endorsements by that company only. State that in accordance with the provisions of the Data Protection Act, you do not give permission for the details to be shared with any other parties, including 'sister companies' and also the MID (Motor Insurance Database).

If you fail to state the above at the time of providing the documents, the details are uploaded onto computers and ultimately shared - and in some cases to unscrupulous ambulance chasing lawyers etc.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm really surprised they are asking for licences. Their normal code of practice is to get you to sign underneath all that small print, and then only in the event of a claim start wriggling and asking to see licences, weight plates etc.

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
I've had to provide copies of both parts of my licence for the nice people providing the finance for my M/Hs' but never, yet, for insurance.
On another point has anyone else received notification from Frank Pickles that they are going back to 'core' business and won't be offering M/H policies after the expiry of current policy?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've had to provide copies of both parts of my licence for the nice people providing the finance for my M/Hs' but never, yet, for insurance.
[HI]On another point has anyone else received notification from Frank Pickles that they are going back to 'core' business and won't be offering M/H policies after the expiry of current policy?[/HI]

Nothing mentioned when we renewed our van insurance last month. Whilst I would be inclined to stay with Highway/LV because of the excellent service we received after being "Asda'd" I think a visit to confused.com might be in order if FP do pull out :Smile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It has been pretty standard practice by a good many insurers for bikers ( not all, but a fair few ) and all the grand kids, as they have passed their tests and subsequently applied for insurance, been asked or a copy of their licence for their first cars..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back