Insurance renewal time...

Discussion in 'American RV's' started by WinnietheBrave, Jul 25, 2010.

1. WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave Read Only Funster

My insurance is due up on the 28th of this month, I have had a renewal quote for £720 includes euro travel and euro break down cover, limited to 10k miles a year. Is this a good quote, or am I paying over the odds?

1992 Winnie 22ft valued @ £16k I'm 43 and the only named driver.

I'm with Adrian Flux at present.

2. Terry and Nicola

Terry and Nicola Read Only Funster

Insurance renewal

HI ALL
    My Insurance renewal is up at the end off month as well also with Adrian Flux been with them 8 years but this year will be moving its 462 pound with no break down cover but CARAVAN GUARD wanted 360 pound with full break down cover any one wth CARAVAN GUARD on here any good :thumb:

3. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

I know little about motorhome prices, but if its worth under 30k try Frank Pickles for an insurance quote ask for barry - and tell him you are a funster coz then you get a discount

4. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

Have you tried Comfort Insurance? They include European breakdown cover.

I'm with Saga - £75 without breakdown cover. (My MH is small enough to be covered by my AA cover) Bargain. :Laughing:

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

give the NFU (national farmers union) a ring...no on-line quotes but very helpful staff.

on advise from Geo, ring the Louth branch...they know RVs inside out.

6. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

what makes me made is you get a discount if you have a name 2nd driver with some companies:shout:

7. big map

big map Funster Life Member

Hi,
    We have used Caravan Gaurd for the last two years. £683 including UK and European breakdown. This is for a 2006 Damon Daybreak.

Last year we had to use the breakdown while on holiday in Scotland, excellent service from a local garage on Skye they were even talking about taking us back to the south of England on a low loader. After hours of searching they found an electrical fault, a wire shorting out.

Cheers Mike.

8. big map

big map Funster Life Member

Hi,
    We have used Caravan Gaurd for the last two years. £683 including UK and European breakdown. This is for a 2006 Damon Daybreak.

Last year we had to use the breakdown while on holiday in Scotland, excellent service from a local garage on Skye they were even talking about taking us back to the south of England on a low loader. After hours of searching they found an electrical fault, a wire shorting out.

Cheers Mike.

9. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

We, on advise from around these parts, went to NFU, seemed good and saved a fair bit over Flux:thumb:

10. madbluemad

madbluemad

I changed from Adrian Flux too IC Choice last year. They beat Adrian Flux hands down. Probabley be different this year.

Jim
    :Smile:

11. Terry

Terry Funster

I have just been on the phone to NFU and they said they do not cover vans above 3 . 5 ton :Eek!: what's going on ?
    Sureterm direct have given me the best quote so far at £210 -UK only inc free legal cover :thumb: Got a couple of weeks left to sort something out / beat it
    terry

12. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

Safeguard

I insure my 2005 Winnebao B Class with Safeguard. They gave me a mirror bonus (4) years from my car last year and I renewed with them this year. The Camping and Caravan Club was a bit cheaper by £65 but the devil is in the detail... I am 5.5 tons and want to use it in Europe and I looked at what was and was not covered. With Safeguard I get a lot of cover in Europe where as with say the Camping and Caravaning club you get a lot less, they hardly cover the cost of a tow off the motorway where as Safeguard covers gives a £1,000 for the motorway tow off compared to £250. Plus there is unlimited recovery back to the UK where the Camping and Caravanning club limits it to £2,000... some differance. Cannot see a 5.5 ton yank being recovered under £3,000 as they agreed.

So you get what you pay for. I want to know I will get recovered without issue. I pay £550 I am retired and just over 60. My vehicle is valued at £30,000 and I have a thatcham alarm system, I park on my own drive. I have unlimited mileage cover. :Smile: You need to hunt around more. Adrian Flux have in the past insured my A class and Dodge Ram V an, but of late they are a lot more expensive.. over £800. Sureteam never called me back despite two calls to them:Angry:.

13. Chas17

Chas17 Funster

Just renewed with Safeguard this afternoon. 2004 Autocruise Stargazer, Thatcham class 1 alarm, named driver, UK and europe breakdown cover, legal protection - £451. This my second year with them and I initially chose Safeguard because, unlike many others, they accepted my French no claims bonus.

14. cydersyd

cydersyd Funster

Ive been with Safegaurd for 10 years now, absolutely no probs. Insurance comes with european breakdown and recovery. £350.00 Brilliant!:BigGrin:

15. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Terry,

I'm sure that all the farmers gear weighs in at under 3.5 tons.:Rofl1:

Our Hymer at 4.6 gross is insured with NFU, and also our toad.:RollEyes:

They have been consistantly competitave, over the last six years, and when we had a claim, a couple of years ago, almost £6k, it only cost us our excess.:RollEyes:

I would try again, it could be worth it.

Nomadic

16. snowpig

snowpig Read Only Funster

Ive been with Caravan Guard for years now and I found they were the cheapest for me, just renewed mine too:thumb:

17. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Just renewed mine on Hurricane RV 04 plate no mileage limit, euro use etc incl rescue/assistance £596 with Safeguard.

18. WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave Read Only Funster

I've had a ring around today, and this is what i have so far.
    NFU £482 £400 excess for accidental damage, £350 theft excess.
    I was happy with this but there is no brake down cover, I am thinking about buying that separately and seeing how it matches up.

Caravan Guard came in at £678 no milage limit, full hgv breakdown recovery, the usual excesses + all the legal.

Caravan club and Safe Guard to go, I'm not holding out on Safe Guard though as they quoted me over a grand when I first enquired last year.
    Thanks for the help so far people. :thumb: