Insurance for campervan broken down in France

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Dan_Motorhome, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Dan_Motorhome

Dan_Motorhome Read Only Funster

Hi all,

First time on the forums today, and I've got a bit of a question for anyone who knows more about insurance than me.

Our motorhome broke down in France over a year ago and has been parked up over there ever since. I've hatched a plan to go over and fix and rescue it, but it has no tax, MOT or insurance for when I bring it back.

It seems that insurance shouldn't be a problem, but I can't get a tax disc without a recent MOT certificate. I certainly don't fancy chancing it and driving it up North without tax.

I've read however, that you can drive without tax if you're on your way to a pre-booked MOT. So what do people think about me booking an MOT in Dover, and driving it off the ferry to the MOT centre without insurance. Do you think that's ok?

What about booking a test near home (near Manchester) and driving straight there - is that pushing it?

If anyone has any experience or knowledge in this area I'd be most grateful for any advice!

Thanks in advance,

Dan

2. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I reckon that would be ok. Unusual, but ok:thumb:

3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I think you are in the same boat as someone importing a vehicle. You can drive it to a prearranged MOT and I would suggest you arrange that near home in case it fails and you need to repair it.

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

As said.. you can drive to a pre arranged MOT without tax disc ... but you MUST be insured..

note that it is the driver who must be insured.. so provided you have insurance for another vehicle and it covers you to drive ANY other vehicle .. usually third party.. that would be ok ..

if caught on a ANPR camera with no insurance ...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  5. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Not sure if I have misread this bit, you say that insurance will not be a problem, from which I thought you meant you could get it easily

Then you suggest driving it without insurance to the MOT station

In my opinion you would be much better driving without tax than insurance

But good luck getting it back

David

6. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

no way

without tax but not without insurance.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ukbill

ukbill Funster

if u r on another insurance to drive any other vehicle then u maybe ok but i wouldn't drive it home do it in dover there is also some places i heard of in france u can mot a motor but i cant remember where but the price is high someone will know and inform ya soon

8. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

That's exactly what I did, prior to collecting an imported ISUZU Bighorn from the shipping agent at Bristol. I insured it prior to collection, using the chassis number.

I didn't have a Reg No plate, but wasn't pulled up once by the Police. :Eek!:

Good luck Dan, and don't forget to take your vehicle documents with you. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

never heard of that..

to the best of my knowledge there is no way to legally get an MOT whilst abroad

• Like Like x 1
  10. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Driving anywhere without insurance is a great big NO - apart from the obvious risk of accident and subsequent damage you risk seizure by the police and serious fines - do not forget that ANPR cameras are working across all roads these days so you do not need to be seen by the police to be caught. ANPR will be working at the port and you will be caught.

MOT again this will be alerted by ANPR - what the police would think of such a distance I do not know - I think I would be inclined to get one done as soon as possible and then use the other clause taking it to a place of repair from the MOT station but if it is a minor thing then get it done . At least you will be safe on your travels

Tax once you have your MOT done you can do that on line - even though you will not have a disc it will show as taxed on ANPR.

Driving without insurance could - in the event of a serious accident - leave you in debt for the rest of your life.

11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Your insurance will probably cover you third party driving vehicles belonging to other people, but if it is your own vehicle I think you would need to tell the insurers. Best to ring them and explain the position if in any doubt. A vehicle which has been standing for a year might not have the best brakes etc so an accident is not impossible.

12. ukbill

ukbill Funster

it was on here i 1st heard of mot abroad

13. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

Being covered on another insurance policy will not, I believe, cover you for other vehicles you own or are hired to you?
    For instance I am a named driver on Mrs Colpot's Car Policy and am covered to drive, with the owners permission, another vehicle not owned or hired to Myself or Mrs Colpot. Similarly Mrs Colpot is named and covered on the Motorhome Policy.
    Of course other policies may differ.....

14. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

why not get it serviced over there, with a reciept for a service at least you can show you have tried to ensure its safe to use, then mot it when you get back here.

After a year stood it will need a service anyway and Im sure it wont be that much (if at all) more expensive in France

15. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

I think if you check up on that the situation changed a couple of years ago - since MIT came into being all vehicles have to be insured in their own right and if the driver is not insured under that policy he could legally drive on an insurance held on a different vehicle provided the that he does not own the motor. So in this case as the chap owns the motor home any other vehicle policy will not cover him. Another point worth remembering is the cover given under those permitted rights are only road traffic acts so no cover for damage to the vehicle you are driving and not all policies have that right and the cover given is only for the insured NOT all named drivers - so a total minefield there

• Like Like x 2
  16. Dan_Motorhome

Wow, so many quick replies, thanks everyone!

Seems I made a typo in my original post - the plan is indeed to get insurance, and drive without tax disc for an MOT (not drive without insurance). Sorry for the confusion!

• Like Like x 1
  17. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

What is the van ?? How big ?.

There are many companies that take cars, vans etc back and forwards to Spain for expats etc... Must be worth looking into that..

MOT abroad, not worth the paper it's written on, certainly not legal.. People used to have Spanish MOT's done on their UK cars but now the police have clamped down on that. Only way I can see around it is some dodgy garage doing it.. But no idea how that would work.

Insurance, someone who is allowed to drive other vehicles on their own policy could do it BUT it is stated that vehicle must be taxed and Mot, so thats a no go.

18. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

That sorts the insurance issue - please bear in mind the vehicle can still be seized for no MOT or Tax if stopped and the police are not satisfied with your replies - I would personally go for the nearest MOT station outside Dover and make sure the vehicle is roadworthy then pay the tax on line - you have no worries then. As soon as its taxed you will get an email as a receipt so no copper would argue with that anyway - be safe be legal

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dan_Motorhome

It's a 3.5 tonne converted ambulance minibus, pretty huge. I imagine it would cost a fair bit to get transported?

20. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

you can only drive on your insurance on a another vehicle third party if that vehicle is insured in it's own right it;s myth that you can drive any vehicle on your insurance the vehicle you are going to drive must be insured in its own right it you do so you will be committing an offence
    Dire consequences

If you are found to be driving a vehicle without insurance you could be issued with an IN10 licence endorsement.
    This carries six to eight penalty points and stays on your licence for four years from the date of offence.
    An IN10 on your record will most likely send your premium sky-high.
    “And that’s if the insurer wants your business at all - many will simply refuse to insure you.
    “It’s one of the biggest black marks you can have on your insurance record, so ensuring it doesn’t happen to you in imperative.
    “If in doubt, refer to your policy wording or just give your insurer a ring

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    • Like Like x 1