Insurance for campervan broken down in France (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
If you check you will find the break down cover people will only attend to vehicles that are road legal ie taxed insured and MOT'ed this is to cover themselves in the case of a roadside incident and their risk of complicity in the crimes.

The legal state of vehicles can easily be checked by a few click of the mouse these days and probably is automatically undertaken as a part of the process of arranging the assistance

Oops, that was just slightly tongue in cheek :winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As said.. you can drive to a pre arranged MOT without tax disc ... but you MUST be insured..

note that it is the driver who must be insured.. so provided you have insurance for another vehicle and it covers you to drive ANY other vehicle .. usually third party.. [HI]that would be ok .[/HI].

if caught on a ANPR camera with no insurance ...

no it wont Jim......

Any vehicle kept or used on the road must be insured in its own right.....the owner/keeper must have insurance.

The insurance you speak of is to cover you as driver of another vehicle which isnt insured for other drivers....but is insured.

A member on another forum i use has just been prosecuted for the same offence.....using his partners uninsured car on his 'other cars' clause, he was not insured.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
insurance aside, to drive to an MOT appointment without tax....the MOT appointment MUST BE PRE-BOOKED and documented at the test station....ie: in their daily appointment book..
If it fails it is again permitted to drive the vehicle DIRECTLY to a place of repair or home then the same applies to a PRE BOOKED retest.

I hope you have the vehicle registered as SORN with DVLA.....big fine and back duty payable to the last tax expiry date if it isnt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I do not think it is quite that simple is it? Otherwise the trade would have to have each car named on their general policy before that started to drive it, which is not the case.

I think whether you are insured or not to drive another vehicle depends upon the terms of the insurance contract you have with your insurer. My car insurance (Nationwide) makes it clear that the other car must not be owned by me or on HP or lease to me, along with some other conditions. But it has no requirement that the vehicle must be insured by its owner. The law may have such a requirement, but that is only a duty on the owner, not me as far as can see.

By the way before I ever did drive any such car I would phone Nationwide and make sure my understanding is correct!!!!!

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I do not think it is quite that simple is it? Otherwise the trade would have to have each car named on their general policy before that started to drive it, which is not the case.

I think whether you are insured or not to drive another vehicle depends upon the terms of the insurance contract you have with your insurer. My car insurance (Nationwide) makes it clear that the other car must not be owned by me or on HP or lease to me, along with some other conditions. But it has no requirement that the vehicle must be insured by its owner. The law may have such a requirement, but that is only a duty on the owner, not me as far as can see.

By the way before I ever did drive any such car I would phone Nationwide and make sure my understanding is correct!!!!!

Trade policies are very different and if the car is held by a trader I think you will find it needs to be shown on his policy after being on site for 7 days. You will probably have noticed that not many vehicles are moved on trade plates these days mainly on transport of one sort or another - you will also probably have noticed that even on transport many put a strip of gaffer tape over the number plate to avoid confusion with ANPR cameras which read any number plate no matter where it is.

I think you will find it is your responsibility to ensure that any vehicle you are driving is correctly insured and that you as the driver are also correctly insured - get it wrong and the car is confiscated even if you as the driver are insured. You can check any vehicles insurance status by going on line to Broken Link Removed likewise you can check on the MOT status by going to http://motinfo.direct.gov.uk/internet/servlet/ECSIDDispatcher with all that info available you cannot claim ignorance and will loose the vehicle if you get it wrong

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Surely this needs bringing back on a transporter ?

Anything else seems to be a risk.

There is no clear position and even if there was the French police wouldn't understand it.

Can it be legally towed without tax, insurance MOT ?

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
Since 1970 first van converted police van
I think you are in the same boat as someone importing a vehicle. You can drive it to a prearranged MOT and I would suggest you arrange that near home in case it fails and you need to repair it.

I think you will find that there is a limit to the distance drive to an MOT and I do beleive that this is around 4--5 miles, if it were me in this situation I would get it tested in Dover because if the police spot you in the docks as you come off the boat at least you can explain the problem Hope this helps good luck George:thumb::thumb::thumb::Smile:

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

There is no clear position and even if there was the French police wouldn't understand it.

Can it be legally towed without tax, insurance MOT ?
in uk and i assume european countries you can tow a broken down vehicle by use of a fixed bar but only to the nearest garage or safe place. for instance the RAC will tow a vehicle off the motorway using a fixed bar, but only for safety reasons to the next exit or services. from there if it cant be fixed where it is, it will need to be loaded onto a recovery truck

towing from france all the way up to manchester wouldn't be allowed or safe

the consensus of advice including from those with professional knowledge on this is it will need a low loader. dont forget this isnt a family saloon car but a 3 1/2 tonne converted ex ambulance

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well there you go, still stand by my return load on a low loader, got to be the easiest and cheapest by far, no need to think about insurance mot or tax, just get it back.:thumb::thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

[HI]Can it be legally towed without tax, insurance MOT ?[/HI]

no.....a vehicle used on public roads, even a broken down vehicle being towed, has to be insured.

this makes a mockery of DVLA's interpretation of the law and A frames which states, in their opinion, a vehicle towed with an A frame becomes a trailer...providing it meets all the regs....trailers dont need compulsory insurance whereas a towed car does.

so it begs the question....is it a car on tow or a trailer

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
even if you have another policy it will not allow you to drive a second vehicle that belonghs to you and the second vehicle has to be insured in someone elses name

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could always bring it back this way.....:ROFLMAO:

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM"]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM[/ame]

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
As said.. you can drive to a pre arranged MOT without tax disc ... but you MUST be insured..

note that it is the driver who must be insured.. so provided you have insurance for another vehicle and it covers you to drive ANY other vehicle .. usually third party.. that would be ok ..

if caught on a ANPR camera with no insurance ...

This wont work either assuming you have cover as Jim suggested the "Other vehicles" must also be insured in their own right also, there has never been a policy that can extend to totaly uninsured vehicles
Also worthy of note many policy holders who have had that very same provision on their policies have learned the hard way that it has been removed, only notified to you in the very very small print

1.Insurance a must
2. Direct journey to a Pre booked appointment to an MoT station of your choice
(Pre booked as in they have your name vehicle reg and details and a time for the test)
stop for so much as a cuppa or deviate from the straightest route and your illegal
Mr plod has heard all the I got lost stories, ANPR can and will issue automatic tickets that you will then have to defend
G

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
1.Insurance a must
2. Direct journey to a Pre booked appointment to an MoT station of your choice
(Pre booked as in they have your name vehicle reg and details and a time for the test)
stop for so much as a cuppa or deviate from the straightest route and your illegal
Mr plod has heard all the I got lost stories, ANPR can and will issue automatic tickets that you will then have to defend
G

And although this means costs and nuisance the rules are there to protect us all.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
This wont work either assuming you have cover as Jim suggested the "Other vehicles" must also be insured in their own right also, there has never been a policy that can extend to totaly uninsured vehicles

Can you say where you got that from please? I have carefully read all the small print and there is no such exclusion in my policy wording, as there would need to be in order for it to take effect. Maybe others can say they have the wording, but mine does not.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can you say where you got that from please? I have carefully read all the small print and there is no such exclusion in my policy wording, as there would need to be in order for it to take effect. Maybe others can say they have the wording, but mine does not.

What does it say? I have never seen one that would let you drive another vehicle if not insured by someone, apart from if you have a dealers policy or some other garage related one:thumb:

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Hi,I havent read all post but most .Do you know anyone to hire or borrow trade plates from which exempt the van from road tax but not sure if that would include mot maybe someone else can say

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
What does it say? I have never seen one that would let you drive another vehicle if not insured by someone, apart from if you have a dealers policy or some other garage related one:thumb:

It tells me I can drive a car not owned or leased/HP to me and be covered third party only. It then lists a whole load of "along as's" like getting owner's permission, car/van registered and normally kept in UK, car has not been seized by police, etc. There is no "as long as" that says the car I want to drive must already be insured by its owner or anybody else.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

very few, if any, have the wording in the documentation for one simple reason......its a given fact that any vehicle kept or used on a public road has to be insured so to use someone elses car they must have it insured.

The insurers aint stupid.....you insure a 20 year old fiesta, cost...£100.
now you can legally drive, on the 'other vehicles' clause on that insurance, the uninsured buggatti veron you registered in your spouses name.....it aint going to happen.

Unsure still....ring your insurers and enquire, they'll say the same.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
theres been a few bits of legislation quietly added over the last few years. some was tagged onto the rules changing about being able to offer lower premiums to women. basically though it is an offence to drive an uninsured vehicle or to allow it to be driven on the public highways. this is also linked to the road fund licence and SORN declarations. basically if ANY vehicle is uninsured in its own right, it must be declared SORN and not kept or driven on a public road

insurance companies protect themselves by reserving the right to vary terms and conditions of insurance without written notice. driving somebody elses car using an extension of your own comprehensive insurance is now a thing of the past. the exception to this is hired vehicles, where you declare that you are insured so their policy will cover your use

there is a national insurance database that can be checked to see if a vehicle is insured. if the vehicle is not shown on this database as being insured it is not legal to use it on the road http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi it's a simple fact that for your drive any other vehicle insurance to work the 3 rd parties insurance has to be valid IE the car you wish to drive has to be insured by someone else -only if it is insured by someone else who gives you permission to drive it will you be covered on your own (drive any vehicle) insurance --If my car is not insured for whatever reason and someone says I can drive any vehicle they are simply not insured :Eeek:
Around here we have loads of young uns 25 /30 yr olds that take out traders insurance and think they can get away with paying say 1200 quid and drive a evo etc,it's only when they smash them and try to claim that they get asked to prove they are trade and how many cars etc have you bought and sold this yr sir ? prove it? that they find out that there insurance is not valid --I know 3 people this has happened to but they don't listen (or care not to) god help them if they ever knock a person/kid down --ins are not stupid :Smile:
The police can intemperate the law as they see fit - you may not agree but in 99 per cent of times they will be in the right --Like Geo says pull in for a coffee or deviate slightly and they can have you --you would be far better getting the van done where it is then booking it in at a test station in Dover :thumb:
terry

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It tells me I can drive a car not owned or leased/HP to me and be covered third party only. It then lists a whole load of "along as's" like getting owner's permission, car/van registered and normally kept in UK, car has not been seized by police, etc. There is no "as long as" that says the car I want to drive must already be insured by its owner or anybody else.

If that really is the case the op and you should get together and have a week in France then you can bring his van back and he can bring yours, simples:thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back