Insurance cover for new purchase -Mould within 4weeks??

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Loopy from Oz, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Loopy from Oz

Loopy from Oz Funster

Hi all
    we are totally new to MH & have purchased a 2nd hand french motorhome. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas/ info on our recourse having only driven the van for 4weeks to discover a roof leak & excessive mould….?
    (It rained the almost the entire first 3 weeks from when we collected the van)
    Do we have any returns/ exchange stance with the sales company or would our French insurance cover…?? we are so disappointed as I know mould will just reappear every time we have wet weather.
    any advice is greatly appreciated. cheers

2. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

I can't imagine that an insurance company would be remotely interested, but did the vehicle come with any kind of warranty ?

3. Loopy from Oz

Loopy from Oz Funster

Im actually not sure…. all the paperwork is in French… I am awaiting a reply email from the company at present.

4. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

I believe we have a French member, @yodeli, who may be able to help you ?

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

French law may be different to english law, but here in the uk the selling dealer is usually responsible for making good existing faults.

If bought privately then very little recourse except good will on the sellers part or action via the small claims courts.

6. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Thing is as long as your are not a member you can't use the "private messaging" function.
    As soon as you have paid your membership (see upper toolbar subscribe) you will be able to send me a copy of the French papers if you wish so. I will then be able to tell you what you can do.

Amicalement
    Frankie:)

• Like Like x 4
  7. yodeli

You should have a warranty paper coming with the selling, unless private ! Do take pics. You need evidences.

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

You say it was from a 'sales company' .. so my first course of action would be to go back to them and show them the problem..

as Frankie said.. take pics to show the mould and damp. A picture is better than a 1,000 words.

• Like Like x 1
  9. yodeli

Same here PPJ !

10. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Where is the mould? It shouldn't just appear so quickly but it might reappear having been a long standing problem. Alarm bells are ringing in my head that you might have a vehicle with a long standing damp problem and this might mean serious trouble.

11. Loopy from Oz

Loopy from Oz Funster

thank you all. the van is still under the manufacturer's 'body" warranty so we will just have to wait and see what the "damp test" results are….. reading some older posts on similar topics does have me aware that a damp test may not always be a definitive answer..fingers crossed for all good outcomes.