In Praise of the MCC as well

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by GJH, Aug 16, 2015.

1. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Earlier this year I posted This Thread about our 3 week trip in May/June.

Today we have returned from a 4 week trip staying at 9 THSs/Rallies, 4 organised by C&CC groups and 5 by MCC groups, which gave us even better value in terms of camping fees.

30 nights away for the grand total of £226.50, an average of only £7.55 a night, and not one of them had to be booked in advance.

Once again all were within easy walking distance of public transport and/or local amenities (though lack of a footpath from Stow on the Wold RUFC for most of the way into Stow made for an interesting walk at times :)).

Brilliant (y)(y)(y)

• Like Like x 4
  2. walburga

walburga Funster

Hi Graham, just give supertractordave a call...he'll be over with the bus shortly.

Allen

• Like Like x 1
  3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Now there's a name from the past Allen :) Come to think of it, it's a few years since we've seen you as well :)

4. walburga

walburga Funster

We'll be at Wrenbury.

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi Graham.. sounds good,

have never used THSs .. was thinking on rejoining the C&CC to try them out..

when and how long do they normally open for .. ?

• Like Like x 1
  6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We won't, I'm afraid, Allen. Several home duties having just been away so long.
    Most take place during the March to September/October period Jim. They vary in length from around 5 days or so to 28 days (though some last a couple of months so are presumably run by different sections at the same site concurrently to comply with the law). See Here.

We find them especially useful when visiting a particular region (as we did on our 3 and 4 week trips) because they cover the midweek periods where most rallies/meets are confined to weekends.
    In many cases you register your details on arrival but pay just before leaving - which means that if you want to move on sooner than originally intended because you don't like a place you aren't stuck with having paid.

We joined the Motor Caravan Section as well so I think the C&CC membership costs us just under 50 quid a year and MCC is (I think) £33. I've saved a fair bit of the C&CC membership this year in discounts from Mountain Warehouse (15% for C&CC members) quite apart from the low costs of overnight stops.

• Like Like x 2
  7. namwaldog

namwaldog Funster

Jim,
    THS's can be anything from a week to 60 days. This months magazine is listing some through to January 2016. Usually about £8 a night but varies from £5 to £10.
    http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/magazine/
    then 'Out & About'
    From our experience we recouped the cost of membership in about five nights with the difference in overnight costs

• Like Like x 1
  8. Popeye

Popeye Funster

We stayed at York RFC Ths with C&CC. They told us that York was the only one open for 60 days. It got around the regs because it had been going for so long. £7 per night, lovely people and pleasant level walk into town or to @Jez and Lin house. Brilliant week for us.

Joined MCC yesterday, I'll save that story for its own thread.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bluemooner

Bluemooner Funster Life Member

We stayed at a THS at Lytham recently £8.50 a night enjoyed it

• Like Like x 1