Impact of accident on insurance premium

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by DM23, Sep 28, 2016.

1. DM23

DM23 Funster

Been trying to work out whether its worth claiming on the insurance for some accidental damage to the MH or whether we should pay ourselves. Did some dummy quotes for a renewal with 1 years NCD Vs no NCD with fault accident costing £1k, and whilst Comfort shows an increase of £60 per year the Caravan Club doesn't show any premium increase at all - seems too good to be true? Any thoughts?

2. Tootles

Tootles Funster

The secret is in the excess, :confused: We claimed for a £300 window. After the excess, (fixed and 'voluntary'), plus the increase in the following years premium, it just wasnt worth it. Didnt mention the hassle either, flow of photos and emails.......:(

3. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Comfort only put my renewal up around a fiver after an accident.

£2700 was the amount for total claim to both our vehicles and we were judged as both at fault

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. DM23

DM23 Funster

We have a £200 excess so it'll definitely be worth claiming if the premium doesn't go up too much coz we've had two wildly-varing quotes so far: one at £700 and one at £1600 excl. VAT (still waiting for a few more to get back to me).

• Like Like x 1
  5. pyro

pyro Funster

Worth watching the wording on proposal forms. Some ask if you have had an accidents over the past year, others ask if you have made any insurance claims. I have heard of people who (reportedly) have withdrawn claims on economic grounds still ending up losing NCB

On window claims, surely these would be covered by the glass cover and not result in a loss of NCB?

6. DM23

DM23 Funster

Luckily(?) as its our first year of MH insurance we don't have any NCB to lose (we just won't earn any this year) which probably makes the decision easier.

7. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

The NCB is only half the story. The other half is the premium load. That's a black art in itself and I don't think very many people know how they are calculated. I'm sure it isn't as simple as whether or not you've had any accidents.

• Like Like x 2
  8. DM23

DM23 Funster

Yep - I think some people are surprised that even with protected no claims your premium will still go up after a claim. Best way to check is usually to do two quotes: one with the claim and one without to see how it impacts the premium. I was just surprised that it didn't seem to have any impact on the CC insurance quote at all.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

Premium loading is what you may get after any claim, this applies to all vehicles so my case its the excess plus I have to declare it on the other insurances for a van, car and motor scooter, so I end up with four loaded insurance premiums !!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. sueandjohn

sueandjohn Funster

We had 2 no fault accidents and the car premium went up almost £100. Worst though, we couldn't change insurers because no one would give us protected no claims .
    Nb now have dash cam in all vehicles .

11. pyro

pyro Funster

Now dash cams are a great idea

12. teensvan99

teensvan99 Funster

We take a big hit if we claim as insurance on 2 motorbikes and another car +M/H will all go up. We would not claim on anything less than £1500. Remember it is on every year after for 5 years. We found out the hard way once before.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. DM23

DM23 Funster

If we claim we'll end up with slightly higher premiums for the other two cars true, but the quotes so far are coming in between £2k and £2.5k to fix a 60cm gouge - way more than I expected!

We did get one quote of £850 from an independent bodyshop but its lacking a few details of exactly what kind of finish we can expect. They get good reviews on checkatrade so if the guy comes back with a bit more info then it could still be an option not to claim.