Impact of accident on insurance premium (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Been trying to work out whether its worth claiming on the insurance for some accidental damage to the MH or whether we should pay ourselves. Did some dummy quotes for a renewal with 1 years NCD Vs no NCD with fault accident costing £1k, and whilst Comfort shows an increase of £60 per year the Caravan Club doesn't show any premium increase at all - seems too good to be true? Any thoughts?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
The secret is in the excess, :confused: We claimed for a £300 window. After the excess, (fixed and 'voluntary'), plus the increase in the following years premium, it just wasnt worth it. Didnt mention the hassle either, flow of photos and emails.......:(

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Comfort only put my renewal up around a fiver after an accident.

£2700 was the amount for total claim to both our vehicles and we were judged as both at fault

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DangerMousy
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We have a £200 excess so it'll definitely be worth claiming if the premium doesn't go up too much coz we've had two wildly-varing quotes so far: one at £700 and one at £1600 excl. VAT (still waiting for a few more to get back to me).

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Worth watching the wording on proposal forms. Some ask if you have had an accidents over the past year, others ask if you have made any insurance claims. I have heard of people who (reportedly) have withdrawn claims on economic grounds still ending up losing NCB

On window claims, surely these would be covered by the glass cover and not result in a loss of NCB?

OP
OP
DangerMousy
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Luckily(?) as its our first year of MH insurance we don't have any NCB to lose (we just won't earn any this year) which probably makes the decision easier.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
The NCB is only half the story. The other half is the premium load. That's a black art in itself and I don't think very many people know how they are calculated. I'm sure it isn't as simple as whether or not you've had any accidents.

OP
OP
DangerMousy
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
The NCB is only half the story. The other half is the premium load. That's a black art in itself and I don't think very many people know how they are calculated. I'm sure it isn't as simple as whether or not you've had any accidents.
Yep - I think some people are surprised that even with protected no claims your premium will still go up after a claim. Best way to check is usually to do two quotes: one with the claim and one without to see how it impacts the premium. I was just surprised that it didn't seem to have any impact on the CC insurance quote at all.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Premium loading is what you may get after any claim, this applies to all vehicles so my case its the excess plus I have to declare it on the other insurances for a van, car and motor scooter, so I end up with four loaded insurance premiums !!!!

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
We had 2 no fault accidents and the car premium went up almost £100. Worst though, we couldn't change insurers because no one would give us protected no claims .
Nb now have dash cam in all vehicles .

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We take a big hit if we claim as insurance on 2 motorbikes and another car +M/H will all go up. We would not claim on anything less than £1500. Remember it is on every year after for 5 years. We found out the hard way once before.

OP
OP
DangerMousy
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
If we claim we'll end up with slightly higher premiums for the other two cars true, but the quotes so far are coming in between £2k and £2.5k to fix a 60cm gouge - way more than I expected!

We did get one quote of £850 from an independent bodyshop but its lacking a few details of exactly what kind of finish we can expect. They get good reviews on checkatrade so if the guy comes back with a bit more info then it could still be an option not to claim.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back