I'm worrying about weight now..... (1 Viewer)

Luvin156

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Soon too buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
......and I hadn't even got a MH yet.
I am restricted to 3500kg due to MH licence and after reading a few posts on here it looks like I may have to reconsider what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for at least a 4birth I will be travelling with my wife, teenager and 8 year old. I'm about 100kg on my own☺️ (Might have to go on a diet) From what I can gather I will be using half the payload on us, leaving very little for water clothing and the rest we will be needing.

Has anyone else had these issues and how do you he over them? Oram I looking at it all wrong?

Thanks for any advice

Paul

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I know it takes about 250kgs of paint to respray a 747 Jumbo :whistle:.
Does that help?
Mind you I don't think that's metallic paint.

Regards Steve

great example of why i love this forum...a laugh round every corner:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This thread has gone on for so long ... I've forgotten what the original questions was!!! :LOL:

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
And the original poster hasn't registered on fun. ( yet )

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I rang today and apparently I can't upgrade the weight without having air suspension ( or something like that) fitted to the van.

It sounded expensive so I stopped listening:)

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Assuming a 7m long Hymer has an area of approx 50m2 and 1litre of cellulose metallic has a coverage of say 10m2 then it follows that at 1kg per litre one coat equals 5kg. How many coats ?

WTF am I on about :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I rang today and apparently I can't upgrade the weight without having air suspension ( or something like that) fitted to the van.

It sounded expensive so I stopped listening:)

I remember Ralph upgrading tyres, suspension and something else (I think ) when he ordered the base vehicle, now known as Pug.
He had every intention of doing it. Not wanting to worry about what he was putting into his build weight wise.
Knowing he likes to take plenty beer.....................

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Assuming a 7m long Hymer has an area of approx 50m2 and 1litre of cellulose metallic has a coverage of say 10m2 then it follows that at 1kg per litre one coat equals 5kg. How many coats ?

WTF am I on about :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
Larry see posts #84 & #91. It is probably not about the paint.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
A typo on one page for one year? maybe. But this is on multiple pages for multiple years. Very very unlikely.

The top of the roof section of my grey Hymer has an additional white layer of what appears to be ABS (or maybe GRP) bonded on top what is the otherwise grey GRP sandwich roof. It is there to provide a reflective coating to prevent thermal gain. If the whole roof section was made in white (as the standard ones are) you would see it because the junction between roof and side sections is about 6" down from the roof. My guess is that is why they add the white as an additional layer over part but not all of the roof section. And I suspect the vast majority of the additional 30kg is the weight of that additional layer
Hymer as standard alloy body and roof this why there are so many hail damaged examples on German websites. The grp roof is a paid for heavier extra. I prefer full grp like euro Mobil. Don't look as smooth but alloy shows up ever tiny knuckle dents..hopeless!:(

They use it as it's lighter.....

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hymer as standard alloy body and roof this why there are so many hail damaged examples on German websites. The grp roof is a paid for heavier extra. I prefer full grp like euro Mobil. Don't look as smooth but alloy shows up ever tiny knuckle dents..hopeless!:(

They use it as it's lighter.....
Depends upon model Eddie. The B class has a GRP roof as standard. The difference is mine appears to have two layers of it!

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The sides are grey. The point is that the 30kg addition for the grey version is probably mainly for the additional bonded layer of white GRP/ABS on the roof that the grey version needs which the white (standard) version does not.

I have the white version and it has the additional bonded layer .

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Now that is interesting, because in that case its not that layer that accounts for the extra weight of the grey paint option.

Be interesting to know how many coats of paint and possibly a primer are added. At a kilo a litre soon reach 30kg

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Be interesting to know how many coats of paint and possibly a primer are added. At a kilo a litre soon reach 30kg
From memory? the grp roof adds 35 kg alone. @Lenny HB Mr hymer on here he will confirm:)

Being restricted to 3500 I was talking about lightweight Exsis-i models earlier.

I think we have scared the OP off! Probably bought some tents!lol

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hmmmmm. There seems to be more than a bit of imprecision in Hymer's quoted figures. Checking their 2015 figures. They quote the same 30kg figure for optional GRP roof from the 5.5m narrow bodied C class Hymer Van to the 7.8m Hymer ML-I A class. Seems unlikely they both have the same roof area. And similar applies to the figure for grey paint (again 30kg) - no difference between large and small models at all.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hmmmmm. There seems to be more than a bit of imprecision in Hymer's quoted figures.
Well I never ... Hymer figures wrong ... knock me over with a soggy newspaper! :LOL:

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Well I never ... Hymer figures wrong ... knock me over with a soggy newspaper! :LOL:
At least they err on the side of caution and put the max, their vans appear to be the only ones that come out of the factory at under the stated MIRO.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
At least they err on the side of caution and put the max, their vans appear to be the only ones that come out of the factory at under the stated MIRO.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Yes I agree. Have been able, with confidence to use their figures re add ons etc, ie tow bar. Got this experience with the exsis so that helped me with working out payload on the new one.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Paul, you're very wise to be concerned about the payload in a 3.5t 4 berth van. I had serious weight issues with a 1976 Hymer 584 when I visited a weighbridge and got a shock. So I brought everything out, removed 'just in case duplicates' and weighed what was left and it still came to 150 kilos! My present 6m van Autocruise Rhythm Conversion 3.5t claims 637 kilos payload but I've not weighed it yet fully loaded.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi "Luvin156".....
Go naturist mate !!!
No need for loads of clothes !!!!
Mitch.. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.
PS.. There ARE lots of more sensible suggestions on here ((Fortunately)).. (y)But most do seem obsessed with the weight of their paint.
I suggest you pay a subscription and join this club, as it is the fount of all knowledge with regards to motorhomes and enjoying them etc !!!!
Mitch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
There is going to be a hell of a lot of unhappy people who cannot sell their vans, I cannot understand why they had to change the rules on lightweight lorries, 7.5 tonner is not big or difficult to drive, and I did it for years when I was younger off and on for the company. This problem of having to have a full commercial licence just for the matter of a few kilos, and the almost impossibility of keeping them legal at 3500kgs and still putting the family in it.. The makers are VERY good at hiding the weights the van ACTUALLY IS. and giving all manner of spurious figures, My chausson was originally brought onto the market as sub 3500 kgs and it was but the payload was 160kgs They HAD to uprate it to 3860 to sell any of them One dealer was forced to take it back for that reason when he sold it at the original weight. All the bits that go into a van detract from the payload left, I have sold mine now as I am not able to drive it after my 70th birthday without a medical which I would find impossible to pass and yet I can drive one a couple of kilos lighter but otherwise the same. I am not going to be driving 8 hours a day for weeks and weeks, just a leisure van for a trip here or there. Why not a Leisure licence???? Surely THEY can see there is a total difference between the two. It may be an EEC homologation exercise to fit all into the same size bottle.

Upvote 0

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I would paint the Forth Bridge with that much paint, It goes an awful long way if done properly. The 30 kilos is mostly the GRP roof and a bit of paint. For gooness sake I weigh 67kgs and I am a short fat hairy thing, I cannot imagine picking up that much paint and having to get it an inch thick over a roof panel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I would paint the Forth Bridge with that much paint, It goes an awful long way if done properly. The 30 kilos is mostly the GRP roof and a bit of paint. For gooness sake I weigh 67kgs and I am a short fat hairy thing, I cannot imagine picking up that much paint and having to get it an inch thick over a roof panel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
Nah ,you need a bit more. 80,000litres a coat x 3 coats. just over 1m2 per litre.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back