I'm worrying about weight now.....

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Luvin156, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Luvin156

Luvin156 Funster

......and I hadn't even got a MH yet.
    I am restricted to 3500kg due to MH licence and after reading a few posts on here it looks like I may have to reconsider what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for at least a 4birth I will be travelling with my wife, teenager and 8 year old. I'm about 100kg on my own☺️ (Might have to go on a diet) From what I can gather I will be using half the payload on us, leaving very little for water clothing and the rest we will be needing.

Has anyone else had these issues and how do you he over them? Oram I looking at it all wrong?

Thanks for any advice

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  2. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

No you have got it right, the main difference between you and most others you have realised before you buy

Being realistic you have very few options that will legally cope (y):(

• Like Like x 6
  3. f6c

f6c Funster

Paul your right its all pay load bedding knifes forks water the lot, I would say you will need 500kg payload minimum. Good Luck in your search.

4. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Appreciate your concerns but will you ever be weighed?...... I never have.............. has anyone? and if so what penalty?

If you feel you are over up-rate your suspension, safety should be your main concern....4 seat belts for instance

others will disagree..............

• Like Like x 1
  5. laser101uk

laser101uk Funster

I don't see many options for a family of four in a 3.5 ton van, your likely to be over before you set off. Don't trust anything the dealers say about weight either. Weigh the van at a weighbridge is the only way to know, then do the maths including luggage people etc. I would look at getting the C1 on your license and buying something bigger if you can, otherwise maybe a caravan.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Speve

Speve Funster

I reckon you may struggle to get something with enough payload under 3500kg to carry everything, wouldn't even consider driving overweight ignorance is no defence if the law catches you.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the work around is to tow a trailer and put all the outside chairs, bikes etc in that

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Interesting concept, I think you maybe right, being caught overweight (may never happen) is certainly better than driving a vehicle outside of the licence limits

• Like Like x 1
  9. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

No you are doing it the right way round....worrying about the issue before buying not regreting going an unsuitable purchase! You are best going for a lightweight van like a Hymer Exsis-i etc...keep it a reasonable size with a MIRO of around 2800kg....it can work at 3500 believe you me! Keep length to around. 6.5 as well. Give us sa list of wants and budget and will see what we can do:)

Don't worry it's do able
    Travel with minimum water and fill when you arrive for a start....its a steep learning curve
    Eddie

• Like Like x 6
  10. Luvin156

Luvin156 Funster

Noooo I don't want a caravan.

I may have to look into the c1 licence (I hate tests)

The MH I'm looking for states it has 543kg payload. Before I looked into it I thought that was loads.

My head is spinning now just when I thought I had nailed it.

• Like Like x 4
  11. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Apart from the trailer option, you might be better off taking a C1 (+E) test and up rating your licence - assuming there is no medical reason to prevent you.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

You will have to join the rest of us at weight watchers.
    Don't carry any unnecessary crap (many do).
    Also traveling with the water tank only half full (or less if you are heading to a site) will help.
    You can ask a friendly local weigh bridge guy to give you an indication before you set of on a trip.
    My local factory is happy to weigh me for free - £10 if I want an official ticket.
    My Burstner T660 is exactly 3000Kg with out water and with half a tank of fuel.
    The two of us weigh 160Kg - 340Kg for everything else --- its enough --- if you are careful.
    Caravans also have the same problem.

• Like Like x 2
  13. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

you will find that it is criminal what is not included in the weight of the van, even down to oil in the engine if some the tales are to be believed, they certainly haven't allowed for properly fed grown men, like myself, or their dogs, let alone water, gas and beer (y)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Luvin156

Luvin156 Funster

Oh yea I forgot about the essentials (beer) lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Have a look on here, there have been a few units pulled. Four adult passengers could be your total weight allowance if you buy the wrong Moho.

16. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

?? have a look where Paul ?? I have mine already, even been uprated to 5.5t got 1.2t payload now, the diet can do one :LOL:

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

As Eddie @Judge Mental says one of the new Hymer Exsis may be workable if you travel light but we just uprated our Exsis to 3850, I'm average weight 75kg and the boss is 45k. We do like to travel with a full water tank and carry an extra 40 lt in the garage and have e-bikes.

You will often get a higher payload in a budget van as they are more basic without a lot of the frills. The Hymer groupes Corado have good payloads around 750kg on some models, also Ford Transit based vans often have higher payload than the same van based on a Fiat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

No need! 3500 manageable. I'm diabetic limited to 3500 and managed fine for over 20 years with a family of four. Just stick with quality well constructed German vans..and not be over ambitious on the size front. Our kids where always happier in a tent on the pitch..

You don't realise how refreshing your post is as most get carried away with the big shiny boxes on wheels and are clueless about the realities and legalities of motorhoming..so cheer up this is refreshing!:)

Budget?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 7
  19. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

I assume you have read my post about being weighed in Spain and yes if I had not updated our van from 3.5 to 3.85 ton I would have been fined and had to loose 250 kilo off weight before being allowed to move on so not good
    In my humble opinion your options are

Buy a 3.5 ton van and live with it not good

Tow a trailor upto 800 kg Ok but trailers can be a pain

Take your lgv test up to 7 ton this is I think your best option
    Plus No more worrys ,cheaper tax on van
    And a bigger choice on van selection
    Plus with the age difference between our genenaration that got 7 ton when we passed our test before the mid ninetys
    as we sell off or die of that's one hell of a lot of over 3.5 ton vans that like yourself the younger ones can't drive
    wonder how that will affect prices in about 10 / 15 years time

with the changes in tech now available in road construction the highways agency is fitted load cells into major road surfaces that weigh your vehicle on the move then automatic number plate readers identify or vehicle 2 seconds of computer power and the fine is on its way Welcome to so called smart roads

our van with all our bits like extra batterys solar panels a full tank of water tow bar bike rack and 2 gaslow bottles and me weighs 3.39 ton
    Leaving 110kgs for pay load
    That would not even take Elaine and her shoes let alone alone a full load of food and clothes when out for a long trip

Think carefully choose carefully and think long term
    Do your test and its sorted long term

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I don't think anyone else has mentioned this yet, but if you decide to stick with the 3.5 tonne limit, make sure you have any candidate van weighed empty before you buy (ask the dealer to take it to a weighbridge with you). Manufacturers are allowed a +/- tolerance (cannot remember whether it is 5% or 10%) so the actual MIRO may be greater than the stated figure.
    Also, the stated MIRO rarely, if ever, includes optional accessories where fitted. These can eat into the payload quite significantly. As an example, here are some 'extra' weights on my 2003 Hymer: larger than standard engine and automatic gearbox - 66 kg; factory fitted cab aircon - 30 kg; 3 metre awning - 25 kg; second leisure battery - 25 kg; satellite dome - 10 kg; solar panel - 14 kg. That little lot totals 170 kg!

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1