hymer shocks

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by francour, Apr 16, 2013.

1. francour

francour Read Only Funster

Hi
    has any one out there replaced front shocks on a B class hymer 1996 if so was the ride better any info would help Thanks BERNIE:Smile:

2. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

i haven't done this, but if you haven't already, do check your tyre pressures at the front.
    When I first got my current van, bumps in the road felt like they'd jolt your fillings out.

When I found the tyre pressure plate, where the converters had hidden it, I found the front tyres were at 65psi instead of the recommended 55psi. An appropriate reduction and all was fine.:Smile:

3. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

We have carried out a couple of front suspension upgrades on B class Hymers although they were spring upgrades rather than dampers. B class Hymers are notoriously heavy on the front and ride low meaning they almost always ride on the bumpstops causing harsh and crashy ride quality. You may think fitting stronger springs would make this worse but it doesn't, it lifts the front end off the bumpstops and allows the suspension to work properly giving a far superior ride quality. On a vehicle of 1996 vintage I'd suggest new struts to go with the new springs and new top mounts and bearings as these are known problem areas. All in you're looking at about £600 or so (don't quote me on this as it is totally off the top of my head from memory, we'd need to check spring, damper and mounting prices for the specific vehicle to give an accurate quote).

Hope this helps, D.

4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I would agree with Dave completely and add for clarity and the layman

Shock absorbers do not contribute anything to ride height
    By their very nature they have to work both at maximum and minimum heights, so go up and down with the suspension Springs and therefor cant in themselves hold anything in place at a given height
    That as Dave says is the springs full time Job:thumb:
    However if your happy with height and by better, you mean less bouncy then yes, an improvement will be felt with just shocks
    G

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
    • Like Like x 1