Mar 13, 2012
Pontefract
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
Hi
has any one out there replaced front shocks on a B class hymer 1996 if so was the ride better any info would help Thanks BERNIE:Smile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
i haven't done this, but if you haven't already, do check your tyre pressures at the front.
When I first got my current van, bumps in the road felt like they'd jolt your fillings out.

When I found the tyre pressure plate, where the converters had hidden it, I found the front tyres were at 65psi instead of the recommended 55psi. An appropriate reduction and all was fine.:Smile:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
We have carried out a couple of front suspension upgrades on B class Hymers although they were spring upgrades rather than dampers. B class Hymers are notoriously heavy on the front and ride low meaning they almost always ride on the bumpstops causing harsh and crashy ride quality. You may think fitting stronger springs would make this worse but it doesn't, it lifts the front end off the bumpstops and allows the suspension to work properly giving a far superior ride quality. On a vehicle of 1996 vintage I'd suggest new struts to go with the new springs and new top mounts and bearings as these are known problem areas. All in you're looking at about £600 or so (don't quote me on this as it is totally off the top of my head from memory, we'd need to check spring, damper and mounting prices for the specific vehicle to give an accurate quote).

Hope this helps, D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi
has any one out there replaced front shocks on a B class hymer 1996 if so was the ride better any info would help Thanks BERNIE:Smile:

I would agree with Dave completely and add for clarity and the layman

Shock absorbers do not contribute anything to ride height
By their very nature they have to work both at maximum and minimum heights, so go up and down with the suspension Springs and therefor cant in themselves hold anything in place at a given height
That as Dave says is the springs full time Job:thumb:
However if your happy with height and by better, you mean less bouncy then yes, an improvement will be felt with just shocks
G

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back