Hymer S820 engine battery

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by s20hymer, Dec 30, 2012.

1. s20hymer

s20hymer Funster

Has anyone replaced a Hymer S820 engine battery. Is it necessary to turn off the leisure batteries before disconnecting the engine battery ? It looks very difficult, and I wondered if anyone has any tips for me please.

2. Phill D

Phill D

Hi, i would think that there would be no issue removing the engine battery withoit touching the liesure battery. Some basic saftey will ensure you have no issues.

Make sure the is no potential charging supply to the van.. i.e. mains connection. Remove the terminals from the engine battery one at a time and i would insulate the ends (tape or rubber glove etc ). Then tie them out of the way.
    Then carry out the change. Reconnect new engine battery earth first.

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 3
  4. maz

maz Funster

Not had a Hymer but had a Burstner A-class that appeared to have been built around the engine battery with no thought of replacement! Is that what you mean by it looking very difficult? Various bits (technical term) in the engine compartment had to be removed to gain access to it.

5. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Make sure you have the radio codes written down as you will lose them if the engine battery is disconnected.

Peterd

6. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

if you dont have the codes you could short across the split charge relay to keep current flowing to radios but keep loose poitive leads away from chassis

7. Roland Attridge

Roland Attridge Read Only Funster

Take it to Halfords and they do all the work, had mine done last year with a 5 year warranty

8. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I had mine replaced (B630, Sprinter-based and not much room in the engine bay) a few years back. I called out the Comfort Insurance home start (RAC I think). I could not have lifted the battery in and out.
    I think you should pull the 30 amp fuse that should be next to the starter battery. That will disconnect it from the Elektrobloc before disconnecting the leads (as Jim has advised earlier).

9. s20hymer

s20hymer Funster

hya god this is an old post ..bought a new battery at m/b dealers in Albir ....have to kneel in front of bonnet... undo all neg wires to battery and tape up then posy wires and tape then undo aircon wires remove radiator cap... stand battery on end and lift out struggle as it is heavy .... the new one slides in so easy as no lifting reconnect ..and bobs your uncle ...about a mornings work and didn't disconnect leisure batterys

10. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Whoops!! should have read the date.

• Like Like x 1
  11. s20hymer

s20hymer Funster

thats one of the things you remember doing as the skin grows back on knuckles ...had a new engine since then... totally different story

• Like Like x 1