Hymer S820 engine battery (1 Viewer)

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
Has anyone replaced a Hymer S820 engine battery. Is it necessary to turn off the leisure batteries before disconnecting the engine battery ? It looks very difficult, and I wondered if anyone has any tips for me please.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi, i would think that there would be no issue removing the engine battery withoit touching the liesure battery. Some basic saftey will ensure you have no issues.

Make sure the is no potential charging supply to the van.. i.e. mains connection. Remove the terminals from the engine battery one at a time and i would insulate the ends (tape or rubber glove etc ). Then tie them out of the way.
Then carry out the change. Reconnect new engine battery earth first.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Has anyone replaced a Hymer S820 engine battery. It looks very difficult, and I wondered if anyone has any tips for me please.

Not had a Hymer but had a Burstner A-class that appeared to have been built around the engine battery with no thought of replacement! Is that what you mean by it looking very difficult? Various bits (technical term) in the engine compartment had to be removed to gain access to it.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if you dont have the codes you could short across the split charge relay to keep current flowing to radios but keep loose poitive leads away from chassis

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I had mine replaced (B630, Sprinter-based and not much room in the engine bay) a few years back. I called out the Comfort Insurance home start (RAC I think). I could not have lifted the battery in and out.
I think you should pull the 30 amp fuse that should be next to the starter battery. That will disconnect it from the Elektrobloc before disconnecting the leads (as Jim has advised earlier).

OP
OP
s20hymer
Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
hya god this is an old post ..bought a new battery at m/b dealers in Albir ....have to kneel in front of bonnet... undo all neg wires to battery and tape up then posy wires and tape then undo aircon wires remove radiator cap... stand battery on end and lift out struggle as it is heavy .... the new one slides in so easy as no lifting reconnect ..and bobs your uncle ...about a mornings work and didn't disconnect leisure batterys

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
s20hymer
Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
thats one of the things you remember doing as the skin grows back on knuckles ...had a new engine since then... totally different story

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back