Hymer headlight and search facility (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My opion is it is not a stone chip, it was common for 2007 & 2008 left side almond eyes to fail. Unfortunately with the age of your van it was only a remote chance Hymer would pick up the bill worth a try though.
Shame your van is RHD you could have picked up a LHD unit in Germany for around €900.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Is there any difference? In my Hymer there are two levers which switch the position for the dipped beam from RHD to LHD and vice versa.

I really don't know, but they are Bi Xenon and the quote from TW says RHD so I reckon there must be a difference, even though it is a few £100's cheaper I don't think I want the risk of having to buy 2 in the end (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
nice thought @Khizzie to be honest all I want is a guaranteed fix, messed around for long enough with the turbo

I am lucky that I can offset it on my company, time to move on again, but gin stocks will be down at Chester :)

Buy some headlights defenders this time...not as if your on your own it's a common problem. I always use german ones:)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Buy some headlights defenders this time...not as if your on your own it's a common problem. I always use german ones:)

I think this is half the problem, I don't think they are made for these lights, and my DIY skills are not up to anything that would pass as acceptable

It is a sensible idea though, but talking to Edgehill our local Hymer importers they haven't come up with that option, I will check with TW, if available I will buy a pair (y) should take the bill to over £2K then :(

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
@lennyhb made his own...made it sound reasonably straight forward. Had them on our Ford based and present X250. Odd that hymer with all the problems don't manufacture them they sell enough Bloomin vans!:(

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Sorry to hear of the response from Hymer. I can't see the difference from mine that they did under warranty, not sure about this 'time' issue. Aiming to go to NEC and TW (hymer show) this week and will mention it to them both. There was someone who made a perspex cover for the unit and attached with about 5 large suckers - seemed to work, but never tried it.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Cathargo use individual round units...I would think far more reasonable to replace. Are you listening hymer?:(

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi David

I don't know if you can just get the shell and use your lights which will be OK of course, or is the whole lot integrated.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Cathargo use individual round units...I would think far more reasonable to replace. Are you listening hymer?:(
As our N+B is also, much better idea, but many manufacturers are going over to the integrated unit (that's progress for you) Hymers mistake was putting glass over the top not sure what Corcorde integrated units are glass or plastic.

I should add, all the older Hymers are individual units as well, another reason to buy a used van as a lot of the new designs have lost the way.

Martin

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
As our N+B is also, much better idea, but many manufacturers are going over to the integrated unit (that's progress for you) Hymers mistake was putting glass over the top not sure what Corcorde integrated units are glass or plastic.

Martin

That is a very good point...glass daft in such a style of light, Flat and large and low down. at least on an x250 they are slanted to deflect stuff and higher. never really liked the flat styling of Hymer A class, others do a far more attractive job of it..good value for money though..

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi David

I don't know if you can just get the shell and use your lights which will be OK of course, or is the whole lot integrated.

Martin

Not sure how that works with the Bi Xenon bit, the cost of the other bulbs is minimal, although the holders as well would add a bit I guess (y) worth asking :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

I should add, all the older Hymers are individual units as well, another reason to buy a used van as a lot of the new designs have lost the way.

Martin

You have got to back quite a way now to avoid these lights, our was an 07 build and although one of the first I think they started them in 06

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Not sure how that works with the Bi Xenon bit, the cost of the other bulbs is minimal, although the holders as well would add a bit I guess (y) worth asking :)
It's only a windscreen in front of the bulbs, it's like trying to sell you a new motorhome when the windscreen cracks!

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
@DavidG58, David I'm fairly certain all the Almond eyes are the same, on the standard units the only difference between LHD & RHD is the type of Hella projector dip beam unit that is fitted (LHD ones kick up to the right & RHD to the left, both adjustable for flat dipping).
You xenon units should fit straight into the standard unit so why not just order one from a German dealer and save yourself a packet.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@DavidG58, David I'm fairly certain all the Almond eyes are the same, on the standard units the only difference between LHD & RHD is the type of Hella projector dip beam unit that is fitted (LHD ones kick up to the right & RHD to the left, both adjustable for flat dipping).
You xenon units should fit straight into the standard unit so why not just order one from a German dealer and save yourself a packet.

Thanks Lenny, the idea of saving money really appeals, the expectation of having a useless light unit and still having to pay the UK price on top concerns me too much o_O

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
@DavidG58 if you contact some German dealers I think you will find they will be more helpful than most UK ones and would be able to confirm your lights will fit. Also Chris at Primer Chichester is very helpful.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
A lot of cars have moulded acrylic/ plastic outer covers. To get a decent result a mould would have to be made, possibly then a plug and the acrylic possibly vacuum formed. I assume the are companies out there to do this, cost would I think be well under 1400 £ . We all use mastic glue to bond our solar panel on so there's that bit. But is base unit still intact, what would be effect on resale? As you can tell I am suggesting a solution I don't know enough about, perhaps someone out there with more knowledge can add to this idea? Of course once the first ones been made costs will fall.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have decided to take the easy way out, ordered new light from Travel World, with them to fit, total price just under £1600 inc VAT, but invoice will go through my books, not so easy with a euro invoice from Germany I decided

So I also asked TW to see if protective covers were an option and if so how much, Hymer have replied they are not supplied due to 'safety issues', now that opens up a whole new topic, but why on earth there could be a safety issue with an extra cover I really cant guess, more likely they are happy to keep selling new lights o_O

My hope is that the fault was actually due to the 'known' issue and although mine hasn't been covered by them the new one will not suffer the same fate

There are an awful lot of Hymers with these lights running around, there surely can't be a epidemic of breakages or they would be changed or covers made at least

The biggest risk I now have is looking round their stock while waiting for light to be fitted and buying something else :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Oh dear...Crazy price for something not fit for purpose:(

as someone else said they should be plastic not glass.....

We are still in the EU no problem with VAT. I have bought lots of stuff VAT free from various countries when I was VAT registered including large items...

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
final word comes from Hymer

Nein :(

Hi David

I am dealing with the head of warranty at Hymer and he is saying the following : if it was pressure then the headlights would be cracked earlier.

I am sorry but I can’t go any further with this.

The cost of a replacement headlight is - #1401194 – Headlight Bi-Xenon-complete-LH side-RHD - £1497.26 (at today’s Euro exchange rate). There will be no shipping charges if the light is delivered to TW and the labour is 1 hour at £78.00

Kind Regards

Annabel

Oh well, it would have been good, but with my luck very unlikely :)

Fair point of theirs that it would have gone a while ago, but others have been swapped after a few years and they haven't even asked for our mileage, but time to move on, going down the back of the sofa (again) looking for lost coins (y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
6 times the cost of that headlamp is all my motorhome is worth and it gets us to Europe for 8 months a year,,,,,,BUSBY....

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Start a class action against Hymer!! By the way referring to comments about getting a cheaper unit some one mentioned the cheaper one is on a can bus system so not comparable. If you find any deflectors let me know.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Start a class action against Hymer!! By the way referring to comments about getting a cheaper unit some one mentioned the cheaper one is on a can bus system so not comparable. If you find any deflectors let me know.

I am not really surprised, 9 years after they built it, they do have a point when they say it would have broken ages ago if faulty

I am over it, but it will make me think about what to buy next time

Hymer have said no to covers for 'safety reasons' Oh Please!

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
Broken Link Removed

no turbo, 7'' headlights,fix at side of road (regularly)
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
maybe not, keep the hymer,:)

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I have decided to take the easy way out, ordered new light from Travel World, with them to fit, total price just under £1600 inc VAT, but invoice will go through my books, not so easy with a euro invoice from Germany I decided

So I also asked TW to see if protective covers were an option and if so how much, Hymer have replied they are not supplied due to 'safety issues', now that opens up a whole new topic, but why on earth there could be a safety issue with an extra cover I really cant guess, more likely they are happy to keep selling new lights o_O

My hope is that the fault was actually due to the 'known' issue and although mine hasn't been covered by them the new one will not suffer the same fate

There are an awful lot of Hymers with these lights running around, there surely can't be a epidemic of breakages or they would be changed or covers made at least

The biggest risk I now have is looking round their stock while waiting for light to be fitted and buying something else :)

I hope I am not tempting fate with this post, in view of the concerns about these headlight I got some Laminate-X film (used to,protect headlights on saloon race cars) and attached it to the headlight units.From memory you wet the headlight glass and use something like a credit card to squeeze the moisture out, it self adheres then. Been on my lights for some years and so far no problems. Now crossing fingers!

Mike

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I

:)

I have heard it before & not from Hymer. It normally means they have concerns about overheating by not having the cooling air direct on the headlight.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I know you are t aking the easy option, but £78 to undo a couple of scews an change over the conectors is taking t he mick.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back