Hymer headlight and search facility

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DavidG58, Feb 19, 2016.

1. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Hello all

double edged question here

our Hymer headlight has exploded, well the front glass has at least, although still attached for now at least it is in over 1,000 pieces :(

I am sure I have read of this on this forum before and decided rather than just post a new thread to refer to those, put Hymer exploding headlight into search only got my own thread ref our current trip where I also mentioned it, so reduced search to Hymer headlight and still got virtually nothing, certainly no mention of exploding lights other than a brief mention ref covers

So, new thread it is, sorry

Anybody got any tips, other than just waving my credit card around again

Seems sad and wrong that some kind of design issue is going to cost me over £1000 to mend, the real issue I guess and why I doubt I will get help from Hymer is the Mercedes chassis is 06/07, built by Hymer in 07, registered UK 09

I guess at 9 years old I am going to be lucky to get help, but do intend to ask, I think I have heard that Travel World have helped others

@dabhand I seem to think you might be one?? or have I dreamt that? :) but yours is newer than ours but identical body (MH that is :LOL:)

2. dabhand

dabhand Funster Life Member

Try this
    http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/travelworld-superb-service.116838/
    Or search Travelworld on the forum. It is unlikely she can help but and its a big but, Hymer know there is a problem with headlight of a certain year, you WILL need the part number off the back of the headlight which has often been obliterated as its on a white label! Good luck David. If Annabel can help she will.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Detnor

Detnor Funster

Nearside (RHD - Fiat) on my 09 Hymer shattered as photo. Annabel Edwards at Travelworld got it sorted despite being out of warranty, the van came from Brownhills Preston and I had no previous history with them, really first class service from a good company. I covered it with glass tape until I could get it to them. Lots of reports of identical issue.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

A positive note at least, the lights all still work, I am amazed the Bi Xenon bit hasn't failed (y)

@Detnor thanks, saves me posting a photo, absolutely identical to mine (y) how long ago did yours go?

Ours also started life at Brownhills Preston, not bought new by us and out of warranty when we got it, fingers crossed

• Like Like x 1
  5. Figaro

Figaro Funster

The expensive bother does seem to follow you around. Is it just in the moho sphere or is it in general life as well ?
    I do hope your luck changes soon :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I assume stone damage has been eliminated as the cause as protectors could prevent a re occurence.
    Headlight glass in my experience has not in the past been tempered glass and with stone damage would chip or crack rather than shatter as these have.
    You will see from my avatar I have a keen interest in this.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

If hymer won't touch what about insurance. It's a well known issue so should be ok with hymer i would think...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Detnor

Detnor Funster

My headlight shattered 2 years ago, van sitting on the drive, it hadn't moved for a week. Hymer wanted a photo of the batch number off the white label on the back of the light housing which made me suspect it was possibly a manufacturing issue. Both Travelworld and Hymer acted just as you would want, no discussions, quickly established the problem, and dealt with it. I'd been happier if it hadn't happened but when it did, they were brilliant about it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dabhand

dabhand Funster Life Member

The makers of the glass, Hella I think, several years ago, apparently advised Hymer not to fit the unit under stress which it was and now isn't, it is allegedly these units which are causing the problems. This is a conversation overheard at salon show in Germany and not by me so make of it what you will!

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I sent an email to Travel World, within an hour had a call back from them (Annabel) really nice and helpful, asked for photo of front and back, told her the back could be hard to get at she has asked for the best we can

Apparently Hymer are pretty black and white about this and will decide yes or no in minutes, no half measures though all FOC or nothing, but from my description she sounded hopeful (y)

Will send photos on Monday, see what happens, credit card could do without another hit so soon, my biggest worry is going to Travel World and coming out with a new motorhome :)

• Like Like x 6
  11. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

You've just got your van sorted out after much brow beating - I'm presuming the limp mode problem didn't manifest itself again during your recent sojourn?

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Detnor

Detnor Funster

Best of luck, I hope it all works out. The white label on the back has all the info on. I stuck an arm in with the camera and took several photos and one found the label. The workshop manager is really good on Hymer issues.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

IMG_1533.JPG IMG_1534.JPG

Close ups of headlight, Hymer have said no as there is a stone chip

Scheinwerfer GB Steinschlag (00000004).png

I have asked for a revisit with the aid of my photos, but I can see what they think is a chip and my photo doesn't really show it isn't. The glass is smooth no hole but it does look holed in first photo

So, trying to move on, rang my insurers, it would be covered but not under glass so would mean full claim, we have a £250 excess and our broker AIB suggest that with the loading on the other policies due to the claim it doesn't make sense to claim

Not really sure why we have insurance other than for the really big ones I guess

Still hoping Hymer change their minds, then looking at how much and whether to claim or not

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  14. Judge Mental

Oh dear....All you can do is argue the toss I guess...better pictures? I'm sure Safe guard would be more reasonable but then you dont know till the proverbial hits the fan....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

IMG_1520.JPG

Scheinwerfer GB Steinschlag (00000004).png

@Judge Mental

the top image is how they based their decision

its only money :(

16. Judge Mental

Hmmm....My eyesight not that great, don't know what Im looking as to be honest. If @Lenny HB sees this (currently travellling) he is the man for Hymer's

Yes its only money but surprised by insurers attitude..I thought glass treated differently

• Like Like x 1
  17. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

final word comes from Hymer

Nein :(

Hi David

I am dealing with the head of warranty at Hymer and he is saying the following : if it was pressure then the headlights would be cracked earlier.

I am sorry but I can’t go any further with this.

The cost of a replacement headlight is - #1401194 – Headlight Bi-Xenon-complete-LH side-RHD - £1497.26 (at today’s Euro exchange rate). There will be no shipping charges if the light is delivered to TW and the labour is 1 hour at £78.00

Kind Regards

Annabel

Oh well, it would have been good, but with my luck very unlikely :)

Fair point of theirs that it would have gone a while ago, but others have been swapped after a few years and they haven't even asked for our mileage, but time to move on, going down the back of the sofa (again) looking for lost coins (y)

18. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

just sent reply to TW to see if those prices include VAT, I do hope so, it really pisses me off when you get prices quoted without, although as it happens I will be putting the receipt through my books so will recover most of it

19. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Good lord that's blxxdy expensive ...

• Like Like x 1
  20. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

they have confirmed it does at least include VAT o_O(y)