Hymer Duomobile Indicator Woes (2 Viewers)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Looks like I’ve joined the club.
My front o/s indicator ( led built into the headlight) packed up today.
Have ordered replacement looms from Lazee Camper should be here within a couple of days.
Hoping it’s not the headlight.
I doubt it’s the headlight I’m sending an old harness toTheBig1 this Week he has offered to make some up but at the moment we would not know the cost but he reckons he can do it a lot cheaper?😊 although the Lazeecamper harness is slightly better than Hymers offering they are not cheap at £260 for a pair?

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
I doubt it’s the headlight I’m sending an old harness toTheBig1 this Week he has offered to make some up but at the moment we would not know the cost but he reckons he can do it a lot cheaper?😊 although the Lazeecamper harness is slightly better than Hymers offering they are not cheap at £260 for a pair?
Fingers crossed It’s not the headlight. Ferry is booked for 01/02 so needed someone with the looms in stock.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
definitely broken wires in your loom as I found when testing and mapping the pins on each plug. The wire used is utter rubbish and the fractures are inevitable in a vehicle

Can I ask, are the looms the same left and right Lenny HB as I am preparing a jig to assemble them easier. Current prices and factoring in the time, I expect to be able to make them around £100 with all new plugs, wires, sleeving and improved strain relief at the points where the loom is bent. Once up and running it should be a day or 2 lead time from order to posting if I am at home. I might put a couple on ebay at a higher price to cover selling fees and paypal. The cheaper price is for members here

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
definitely broken wires in your loom as I found when testing and mapping the pins on each plug. The wire used is utter rubbish and the fractures are inevitable in a vehicle

Can I ask, are the looms the same left and right Lenny HB as I am preparing a jig to assemble them easier. Current prices and factoring in the time, I expect to be able to make them around £100 with all new plugs, wires, sleeving and improved strain relief at the points where the loom is bent. Once up and running it should be a day or 2 lead time from order to posting if I am at home. I might put a couple on ebay at a higher price to cover selling fees and paypal. The cheaper price is for members here
Sorry I was slow getting back as we have been on the road all day now in France Heading South thanks Lenny HB for confirming both the same.😊👍

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Well Alan's is made and sat on my workbench. They take about an hour and a half to make up if the plugs are here. I am using better quality wire a bit bigger than OEM, as they are only 0.5mm. The plugs are not exactly cheap either, hence only holding stock for orders. I am retired, so no longer need to keep loads and loads of random electrical parts just in case the next customer through the door needs it "NOW".

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Well done John I reckon there will be a few orders coming through there is a lot of that headlight being used on Hymers. 👍😊

May 14, 2019
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2019
We have also joined the club. I was waiting to see what response I received from Hymer before I posted but they have made clear they will not pay for a replacement wiring loom.
The direction indicators on the offside failed on our van and I had to fix them over Xmas Eve/Day as we were due to go away.
Our loom has exactly the same problem as the others. I used the Broken Link Removed technique (cleaning up the old wires, soldering in new wire and then heatshrink). I noted that there was extensive oxidisation on one of the damaged wires stretching to several centimeters from the break.
Damaged Wires.jpg

The fix is working for now but it is not really a solution and I am sure it is just a matter of time before the other loom fails :(.
would be very interested in possible replacements from TheBig1 if available. I certainly won't be purchasing the Hymer looms.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We have also joined the club. I was waiting to see what response I received from Hymer before I posted but they have made clear they will not pay for a replacement wiring loom.
The direction indicators on the offside failed on our van and I had to fix them over Xmas Eve/Day as we were due to go away.
Our loom has exactly the same problem as the others. I used the Broken Link Removed technique (cleaning up the old wires, soldering in new wire and then heatshrink). I noted that there was extensive oxidisation on one of the damaged wires stretching to several centimeters from the break.
View attachment 713977
The fix is working for now but it is not really a solution and I am sure it is just a matter of time before the other loom fails :(.
would be very interested in possible replacements from TheBig1 if available. I certainly won't be purchasing the Hymer looms.
PM me if you would like to place an order, happy to help

Jan 22, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 588
We started up our 2017 Hymer Exsis after Christmas to take it for a run and quickly heard the rapid click-click-click of indicator woes when we went to turn right. Interestingly the problem was intermittent - sometimes right indicator would work fine and sometimes whe would get the scrolling message that all was not well on the RHS. It seems a common problem on German vehicles as I often see BMWS and Audis where the indicators do not appear to work. I am ashamed to say than in the past I was onclined to blame the drivers. But I digress. We then SORNed but as it is on the driveway regular checking showed that while it was OK most of the time sometimes it just didn't feel like working. It clearly wanted to wait til the least opportune moment to make a complete break - perhaps al;ong the Peripherique one dark and stormy night. What to do, what to do!!

A quick visit to motorhomefun indicated we were not alone and indeed a support group had been formed by Duomobile. At times like these I found TheBig1 can help. Having worked out how to PM I got in touch. All I needed to do then was to extract the old harness and send it to him to be sure the fittings on the new ones were correct. As others have mentioned releasing the fittings is not easy and the bitter cold did't help. Witht he help of the hairdryer a couple of broken nails later the harness was on its way to theBig1 and by return a much classier harness then the original landed on my doorstep. Fitted that same afternoon I saw the light - the daytime running light (DRL) and then I was bathed in an orange glow - a working RHS indicator. Hallelujah. One happy camper. And to cap it all had saved enough to pay for my motorhome fun subs from here to eternity! (well a lifetime subscription, at least).

Jan 22, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 588
Addendum
Foe a relative mechanical novice it wasn't too difficult. Releasing 3 screws to take the headlight out was straightforward but releasing the fittings from the square aluminium panel on the wing was a real challenge. I eventually found that the little square aluminium pane;l can easily be unscrewed from the wing and then there in only one fitting to undo to completely remove the headlamp. I also found that at each step you should take photographs before undoing anything as generally you have to put it back. It also pays to read through all of this thread because as my old prof used to tell us "More is missed by not looking, than by not knowing". There is a group of wires wire that runs from the square panel on the wing directly to the LED for the indicator on the headlight unit. the wires are multicoloured and on this Hymer they are in a much smarter glossy plastic sheath. This can safely be left alone as it does not need to be replaced. I did try to undo it from the back of the headlight. This is not a good idea. In fact it is a dreadful idea. Undoing the screws to have a look inside at the DRL/indicator is also not a good idea. There is a tiny, fragile clear plastic holder that holds the light sabre against the LED. In my case this holder had stuck to the light sabre and broke when i removed the back. I managed to get it back in position and all seems well. The other reason is that there are 2 docks on the square aluminium panel on the wing. The mind plays strange tricks and having been convinced that the LED cable fitting belonged on the wrong dock I then spent what felt like hours trying to put a 5 pin fitting into a four pin dock. As I admitted at the beginning I am a novice but through studying with motorhomefun I hope to one day do something without breaking something else.

Now on to working out whether to replace the bulbs in the projectors with Osram Nightsearchers or Katur LEDs but that is a separate thread. Also need to work out where the legendary "3 screws" are that I need to undo to switch between driving on the right and driving on the left, and also how to adjust to alignment. Just as well I retired before I bought a motorhome.

Jan 22, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 588
The infamous square aluminium panel referred to in the last post may actually be rectangular. I sometimes have delusions of competence. Leave multicoloured wires alone......

IMG_2413.JPG IMG_2418.JPG

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
In my case this holder had stuck to the light sabre and broke when i removed the back. I managed to get it back in position and all seems well.
Been there done that, got the badge.
Also need to work out where the legendary "3 screws" are that I need to undo to switch between driving on the right and driving on the left, and also how to adjust to alignment. J
No screws just flip the lever inside the lamp housing, beam alignment is a bit better if you don't push it all the way.

Jan 22, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 588
PPS
Reminds me. When we first bought the motorhome I couldn't open the bonnet. Tried for hours to find the little catch that releases it. Read the manual, ha! ha! Finally gave up and emailed the private seller. It was too simple - there was no little catch all yo had to do was gently pull both sides of the top of the bonnet slightly forward. Delusions of competence .... Novice ....

Jan 22, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 588
Oh dear, flip the lever, I'm still looking for the bonnet
Been there done that, got the badge.

No screws just flip the lever inside the lamp housing, beam alignment is a bit better if you don't push it all the way.
Flip the lever? this someone who didn't even know there was no bonnet catch. Sadly I forgot to take a photo of the back of the headlight and it's snowing this morning. I'll get there.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Oh dear, flip the lever, I'm still looking for the bonnet

Flip the lever? this someone who didn't even know there was no bonnet catch. Sadly I forgot to take a photo of the back of the headlight and it's snowing this morning. I'll get there.
Just remove the cover on the back of the lamp, the cover just twists about 30° to release. When putting it back on note the arrows for alignment. I lost one of mine it fell off somewhere, couldn't get a replacement in the UK & in Europe about €50 for a bit of plastic. Got one from China on AliExpress £13 and arrived in 8 days.

Jan 22, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 588
It's been a steep learning curve but I do have the bonnet badge, the airbag-ECU badge and now the headlight harness badge. All good fun....

Jan 22, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 588
Just remove the cover on the back of the lamp, the cover just twists about 30° to release. When putting it back on note the arrows for alignment. I lost one of mine it fell off somewhere, couldn't get a replacement in the UK & in Europe about €50 for a bit of plastic. Got one from China on AliExpress £13 and arrived in 8 days.
Many thanks. I did remove the cover to have a look at replacing the bulb. Will have another look when I get a chance.

Jan 22, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 588
Thanks for all the advice you provide in these threads. Having taken headlamp in and out several times to replace harness would agree.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks for all the advice you provide in these threads. Having taken headlamp in and out several times to replace harness would agree.
Believe it or not, we all keep learning. As a new model or new part comes out, it is the end user enthusiasts that discover how to fix or alter it and share that knowledge.

Jan 22, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 588
Have definitely benefitted form the experience of others. Many thanks to all who share their experience and their woes.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
hi can you please help me where i can buy this from or if any chance would you have the part number please
thanks in advance
What do you need? the looms I make, but if you mean the aluminium panel linked to, is going to be hard to source

malawiboy1

Free Member
Apr 6, 2023
Funster No
MH
just looking
What do you need? the looms I make, but if you mean the aluminium panel linked to, is going to be hard to source
i need the part number for the blaster itself the aluminium unit part number please

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
i need the part number for the blaster itself the aluminium unit part number please
It's a Hella part the part number is on the back so you have to unbolt it to see it.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If you contact Chris at Reliance CMS chris@reliancecms.uk he will be able to assist I’m sure but you need to give him your Hymer build number that’s on the plate on the side of your van (ours is on side skirt just in front of garage door)😊👍

May 22, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Since 2016
Hi all.
Hymer indicator wiring loom problem.
I had a problem last year with the near side indicator & running light not working. I got some great help & advise from you Funsters. As predicted it was the poor quality wiring loom. I managed to repair the broken wires & replace it. It works fine (for now). Low & behold, the offside failed on Sunday. I remember the one of the Funsters was thinking of making some better looms, is there any news on a better quality replacement loom ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back