Hymer 12v Socket-always live-?OK

Discussion in 'Hymer' started by DrRogerRam, Aug 17, 2014.

1. DrRogerRam

DrRogerRam Funster

Hi,

We have a 12v cigar type socket for the tv on the offside of our LHD Hymer.

I'm keen to use a Revo radio (mains only) through an inverter when we are driving or or off hook-up. Would prefer to have a new 12v connection either on the nearside at the front or in the double bed area at the rear presumably fuse-protected.

The reason is that the Revo is FM/DAB & internet radio connected-quite complicated to tune & don't fancy doing this every time.

Wondering whether this would be feasible and safe.

I guess as an alternative I could get a rechargeable battery with a mains plug. Charge it when we are on hook-up & leave radio plugged in when we are driving.

As a non-techie the alternative would be easy & I guess the former is best for our local dealer to sort.

Thanks,

Roger

2. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Hello Roger

Another option could be to get a power supply from Maplins or similar, although you say the Revo is mains powered it will almost certainly be powered through a transformer

I bought a laptop charger powered via a 12V socket, without needing a separate inverter

You just need to confirm the input voltage, my power supply came wit a bout 50 different connectors and cost about £20 fro Maplins

You might even find there is enough cable in total not to need a new socket, presuming you an run the leads out of the way somewhere

David

• Like Like x 1
  3. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

Roger, you seem to be suggesting the your Revo radio loses its memories unless it's always connected to a live feed. Is this really the case? My dab radio remembers all its presets as do most (?all) mains portables with presets.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DrRogerRam

DrRogerRam Funster

Thanks, for that. I guess I could use a charger to power it. In our Hymer tho' the tv, the tv 'column' and those live sockets are all on the left side of the doorway together with a drop-down table for the kitchen. It's all a bit cluttered and busy! I could run the charger cable underneath the carpet to the table though.

5. DrRogerRam

DrRogerRam Funster

I think I'll have to contact their tech support to ask the question. I know our mains DAB alarm retains its radio and alarm after being disconnected. If the Revo did that would be great & no problem. I guess when we get on the site where we'll be living for a while I'll have to re-tune the internet radio anyway once we use mobile wifi.

Thanks,

Roger

6. DrRogerRam

DrRogerRam Funster

I've now discovered that the Revo and our DAB alarm retain their settings even when disconnected. The Revo even retains its internet radio settings. All sorts of good stuff there-like Jazz, Classic Rock & Classic Comedy-'The Navy Lark' & various Sid James radio programs-I'm old enough to remember them live on the old Light Program I think it was called.

Anyway-panic over!

Roger