Hydraulic levellers

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ericonabike, Oct 11, 2013.

1. ericonabike

ericonabike Read Only Funster

We now have the van that ticks all our boxes. And so we're looking to make it even more perfect by fitting a hydraulic levelling system. Cost seems to be around £4k, which I know will prompt replies such as 'you could get a lot of levelling blocks for that' but we have the money to do it. And the child in me really likes the idea of arriving on site, pressing a button and watching the thing level itself up to a round of applause from watching and envious neighbours...

We have researched and found E an P Hydraulics, who are exhibiting at the NEC next week. But would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience of this type of levelling system, either good or bad, so that we can ask some informed questions!

• Like Like x 1
  2. lunarman

lunarman Funster

one question I would be asking is "How much of the vans payload will this take up?"

They don't appear to quote any weight for their systems on the web site.

Lunarman

• Like Like x 1
  3. ericonabike

About 60kg I believe. We're getting the van replated and will have approx 600kg over MIRO to play with

4. Mel

Mel Funster

Do you have air susspension?
    If not E&P now do a system with the two combined.

It should now be on the market.
    If it is like the prototype it will first lower the susspension then level the Motorhome.
    So the entry height is as low as pos
    Might be cheaper to vist Thz Netherlands and have it fitted there.

Mel

5. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

We had hydraulic levellers on all 3 RVs we owned and its brilliant. We don't miss many things from our RVs but this is one item I especially miss as I like the van to be properly level and blocks never quite do it.
    If you can afford it and it doesn't take too much payload go for it and enjoy. :thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. JJ

JJ Funster

I'm sure you don't need me to remind you but those "envious" neighbours might clap even louder and laugh forever if they see you drive off with the legs still down

Mind you, for 4 grand I expect it comes with an isolating switch to make that impossible.

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 2
  7. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

Most RV's have them fitted. In our case if you disconnect the parking brake, with the jacks down, all hell lets loose inside with a very loud bleeper alarm and a big, about 3/4" dia, red light on the dash starts flashing. :Eeek: The alarm will stop itself, after a time, but the light remains on until the jacks are fully retracted.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  8. dulvil

dulvil Funster

Hyd levelling

I had hydralic levellers fitted 4 weeks ago to my autotrail chieftain. I wish i had fitted them 3 years ago, brilliant i used glide-rite £3500.00 if you want to see them in use i live in bedford

9. JJ

JJ Funster

I don't think Eric has an RV...

Plenty of other reasons to laugh at RVs without needing to resort to the jacks...:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

Now JJ, methinks you are just being silly. :Doh:

11. ericonabike

I've been looking at the luxury end of the market...as I understand it, if you attempt to move off whilst the jacks are down, a uniformed flunky emerges from underneath the 'van and politely retracts them for you.

Ta for the recommendations from those that have used them - will ask at NEC show about the combined air suspension/hydraulic system. Have looked at Glide Rite, but it doesn't seem to level off automatically? Talks about an onboard spirit level, which is something I would seek to do away with after spending that amount of dosh!

12. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

Having had a couple of American RVs. Jacks are an easy operation but be warned they all have their down side. It is all too easy to twist your chassis
    Should you or some one else not use them correctly
    If I were you. Talk to http://www.rlhydraulics.co.uk/

The cost can be cut by thousands of pounds.
    Get a system. Bespoke to your van.

Yours Ian

13. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Get a bottle jack out and put under your lowest axle --leave the jack handle on the drivers seat so you don't forget ---cost £30:thumb:

14. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

We have a full VB-FullAir-4C, system...

As far as I can make out, all the suspension is removed and this system is fitted,,, I think it`s the same as what big trucks have +.....

It is automatic, for ordinary driving,,, there is a button that you press for parking/camping, where by all the air is dumped, and the suspension drops as low as it can.... then a compressor starts up and brings the body 100% level, irrespective of the lay of the land.. And just enough to be 100% level, although we have a small step to put down,,,, most times the internal step is only a few inches off the ground... But we still carry a step just in case it is the opposite..

Other settings for Off Road. front down, back down and even sideways... why anybody would want to drive at a tilt, beats me... :Doh: plus loads of other settings.. all on a umbilical cord, so you can stand outside a tweaker the vehicle...:Cool:

Where we are now,,,, the plot has a big lean to one side and down on the front.. looking at the outside the nearside you cannot get a fag paper between the tyre and the wheel arch,,, other side there is about 4 inches between the tyre and the wheel arch...

Can be tipped on one side to empty any tanks... and there is a warning ("Do not tilt vehicle too far if high cupboards are filled with heavy items... For fear of tipping vehicle over".. ).. Not going to try that... :RollEyes::Rofl1:

Would I have them put on.....? .... Doubt it..£££££££££££.. :Blush:

Already fitted when we bought the thing... :Cool::thumb:

Here = http://www.vbairsuspension.com/en/page/solutions/fullairsuspension/fullairsuspension4c.html

.. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Better solution, go out for a few weekends in Derbyshire or similar without any form of levelling. You soon get used to the slopes and leans in the van.

These days I don't even make any attempt at getting level just pull up handbrake on and done :thumb: Also helps with the speedy get aways. I gave my levelling blocks away almost 4 years ago.

But I have to admit I do like hydraulics so a levelling system would be a pretty cool toy though:thumb:.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Philcott

Philcott Read Only Funster

I tend to do the same - only problem is that the fridge doesn't work when on some slopes! :RollEyes:

17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

hope it never gets a glitch Mo.....

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=7q2HwZ3bTJE

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  18. Philcott

Philcott Read Only Funster

linkey no workey Papa

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

We all have the means required, they are called eyes, if you cannot park level then move to where you can.

• Like Like x 1
  20. busby

busby Funster

Not all ways possible to do either. BUSBY:BigGrin: