Hydraulic levellers (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
We now have the van that ticks all our boxes. And so we're looking to make it even more perfect by fitting a hydraulic levelling system. Cost seems to be around £4k, which I know will prompt replies such as 'you could get a lot of levelling blocks for that' but we have the money to do it. And the child in me really likes the idea of arriving on site, pressing a button and watching the thing level itself up to a round of applause from watching and envious neighbours...

We have researched and found E an P Hydraulics, who are exhibiting at the NEC next week. But would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience of this type of levelling system, either good or bad, so that we can ask some informed questions!

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
one question I would be asking is "How much of the vans payload will this take up?"

They don't appear to quote any weight for their systems on the web site.

Lunarman

OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
About 60kg I believe. We're getting the van replated and will have approx 600kg over MIRO to play with

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Do you have air susspension?
If not E&P now do a system with the two combined.

It should now be on the market.
If it is like the prototype it will first lower the susspension then level the Motorhome.
So the entry height is as low as pos
Might be cheaper to vist Thz Netherlands and have it fitted there.

Mel

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We had hydraulic levellers on all 3 RVs we owned and its brilliant. We don't miss many things from our RVs but this is one item I especially miss as I like the van to be properly level and blocks never quite do it.
If you can afford it and it doesn't take too much payload go for it and enjoy. :thumb::thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I'm sure you don't need me to remind you but those "envious" neighbours might clap even louder and laugh forever if they see you drive off with the legs still down

Mind you, for 4 grand I expect it comes with an isolating switch to make that impossible.

JJ :Cool:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I'm sure you don't need me to remind you but those "envious" neighbours might clap even louder and laugh forever if they see you drive off with the legs still down

Mind you, for 4 grand I expect it comes with an isolating switch to make that impossible.

Most RV's have them fitted. In our case if you disconnect the parking brake, with the jacks down, all hell lets loose inside with a very loud bleeper alarm and a big, about 3/4" dia, red light on the dash starts flashing. :Eeek: The alarm will stop itself, after a time, but the light remains on until the jacks are fully retracted.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hyd levelling

I had hydralic levellers fitted 4 weeks ago to my autotrail chieftain. I wish i had fitted them 3 years ago, brilliant i used glide-rite £3500.00 if you want to see them in use i live in bedford

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Most RV's have them fitted. In our case if you disconnect the parking brake, with the jacks down, all hell lets loose inside with a very loud bleeper alarm and a big, about 3/4" dia, red light on the dash starts flashing. :Eeek: The alarm will stop itself, after a time, but the light remains on until the jacks are fully retracted.

I don't think Eric has an RV...

Plenty of other reasons to laugh at RVs without needing to resort to the jacks...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
I don't think Eric has an RV...

Plenty of other reasons to laugh at RVs without needing to resort to the jacks...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Now JJ, methinks you are just being silly. :Doh:

OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I've been looking at the luxury end of the market...as I understand it, if you attempt to move off whilst the jacks are down, a uniformed flunky emerges from underneath the 'van and politely retracts them for you.

Ta for the recommendations from those that have used them - will ask at NEC show about the combined air suspension/hydraulic system. Have looked at Glide Rite, but it doesn't seem to level off automatically? Talks about an onboard spirit level, which is something I would seek to do away with after spending that amount of dosh!

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
We now have the van that ticks all our boxes. And so we're looking to make it even more perfect by fitting a hydraulic levelling system. Cost seems to be around £4k, which I know will prompt replies such as 'you could get a lot of levelling blocks for that' but we have the money to do it. And the child in me really likes the idea of arriving on site, pressing a button and watching the thing level itself up to a round of applause from watching and envious neighbours...

We have researched and found E an P Hydraulics, who are exhibiting at the NEC next week. But would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience of this type of levelling system, either good or bad, so that we can ask some informed questions!

Having had a couple of American RVs. Jacks are an easy operation but be warned they all have their down side. It is all too easy to twist your chassis
Should you or some one else not use them correctly
If I were you. Talk to http://www.rlhydraulics.co.uk/

The cost can be cut by thousands of pounds.
Get a system. Bespoke to your van.

Yours Ian

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Get a bottle jack out and put under your lowest axle --leave the jack handle on the drivers seat so you don't forget ---cost £30:thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
We have a full VB-FullAir-4C, system...

As far as I can make out, all the suspension is removed and this system is fitted,,, I think it`s the same as what big trucks have +.....

It is automatic, for ordinary driving,,, there is a button that you press for parking/camping, where by all the air is dumped, and the suspension drops as low as it can.... then a compressor starts up and brings the body 100% level, irrespective of the lay of the land.. And just enough to be 100% level, although we have a small step to put down,,,, most times the internal step is only a few inches off the ground... But we still carry a step just in case it is the opposite..

Other settings for Off Road. front down, back down and even sideways... why anybody would want to drive at a tilt, beats me... :Doh: plus loads of other settings.. all on a umbilical cord, so you can stand outside a tweaker the vehicle...:Cool:

Where we are now,,,, the plot has a big lean to one side and down on the front.. looking at the outside the nearside you cannot get a fag paper between the tyre and the wheel arch,,, other side there is about 4 inches between the tyre and the wheel arch...

Can be tipped on one side to empty any tanks... and there is a warning ("Do not tilt vehicle too far if high cupboards are filled with heavy items... For fear of tipping vehicle over".. ).. Not going to try that... :RollEyes::ROFLMAO:

Would I have them put on.....? .... Doubt it..£££££££££££.. :Blush:

Already fitted when we bought the thing... :Cool::thumb:

Here = Link Removed

.. :thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Get a bottle jack out and put under your lowest axle --leave the jack handle on the drivers seat so you don't forget ---cost £30:thumb:

Better solution, go out for a few weekends in Derbyshire or similar without any form of levelling. You soon get used to the slopes and leans in the van.

These days I don't even make any attempt at getting level just pull up handbrake on and done :thumb: Also helps with the speedy get aways. I gave my levelling blocks away almost 4 years ago.

But I have to admit I do like hydraulics so a levelling system would be a pretty cool toy though:thumb:.

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Better solution, go out for a few weekends in Derbyshire or similar without any form of levelling. You soon get used to the slopes and leans in the van.

These days I don't even make any attempt at getting level just pull up handbrake on and done :thumb: Also helps with the speedy get aways. I gave my levelling blocks away almost 4 years ago.

Snip......

I tend to do the same - only problem is that the fridge doesn't work when on some slopes! :RollEyes:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We all have the means required, they are called eyes, if you cannot park level then move to where you can.

Not all ways possible to do either. BUSBY::bigsmile:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
Also with hydraulic jacks, when in use, you get none of the sway and movement as you move around inside. Which Management finds most useful when getting around on her sticks. :thumb:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Our van has the E&P system fitted. Wouldnt be without it :thumb:

Had ours serviced and the hydraulic oil changed by Mick Leightley in Doncaster who is an agent for E&P and VB Air Systems which are both manufactured in the Netherlands.

Cant drive off with the legs down on ours. There is an electrical connection the the air hand brake and as soon as the handbrake is taken off the legs retract automatically. Simples :thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I tend to do the same - only problem is that the fridge doesn't work when on some slopes! :RollEyes:

Anyone considering doing without all this leveling nonsense should also consider a compressor fridge which is not nearly so level sensitive.

Like Karl, I have such a fridge making many, many more parking spaces available.

Park, live, enjoy, move on...

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Anyone considering doing without all this leveling nonsense should also consider a compressor fridge which is not nearly so level sensitive.

Like Karl, I have such a fridge making many, many more parking spaces available.

Wish I'd known that before replacing my fridge three months ago!:cry:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
:thumb::thumb:

Going to save me a fortune on tyre wear... :RollEyes::ROFLMAO:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

Pick different slopes :ROFLMAO::winky:

Erm, not any more. For over a year now I have been fridgeless.
Trying to defrost the freezer box. Got impatient and couldn't find my scraper. Knife straight through the metal tubes and whooooshh....
Lesson learned.:Doh::ROFLMAO:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Level

Hi

In my opinion, a lot of cost and payload taken for something rather might not get that must use. How un level are pitches these days?

However, people will say similar about my satellite dish for T in Italy etc.

If you think it worth it, get it is my advice.

Russell

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back