Hydra trail easy lifter scooter trailer

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Ashwells, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Ashwells

Ashwells Funster

I have been using the Htydra trail trailer on my Pilote 740 since June and have had no problems the scooter I currently have have a Peugeot Tweet , only weighs in at 109kg so very light , but I would like upgrade to a 300CC Kawasaki J300 which is 191Kg , has anyone had any experience with towing a scooter or motorbike of this weight with the hydra trail , I know the weight limit on the trailer is 250kg but I am worried that the extra weight may cause issues. would appreciate any advice.

Attached Files:

2. MikeD

MikeD Funster

I towed a 300cc Vespa using a hydra trail and have not had a issue but a friend who uses his for 400cc Honda cracked his.

Both Of us have not had any of issues with the tow bar and are generally very pleased with them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. John745

John745 Funster

As mike said I have a Honda 400 super 4 (195Kg) on mine and traveled over 8000 miles across europe with it on the back with no problems apart from last year it cracked just under the front wheel of Moto (Italian roads you could lose a MH in probably). I've had it plated underneath so it won't break now. The lastest model has been redesigned so this issue will not happen again as the deck is full width instead of 7/8ths of the length.
    I have no problem continuing to use as is, good solution to a difficult problem.
    The only facet to mention is because the tyres are small the wear is accelerated over that one might expect, but at £38 for a pair of new tyres on wheels I don't mind every couple of years.
    With it on the back you don't know it's there (don't put it on the back of your car !).

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Ashwells

Ashwells Funster

Sound's encouraging, my Hydra trail is the latest model so hopefully all the teething problems have been ironed out , certainly is a talking point at most sites .

5. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

Any idea when the "latest model" of the Hydratrail became available?

6. Ashwells

Ashwells Funster

don't know but I believe the original design had one wheel , my one has two . we got our new MH in May and was looking for a solution that was not going to affect the payload
    the Hydra Trail look like the perfect solution ,

7. MikeD

MikeD Funster

I can't help with a date but the earlier version has a box section that the front wheel drops into.
    As said the checker plate deck extended only along to this part.
    I have not seen a new version but I assume the checker plate decking goes across the whole length of the easy lifter.

8. John745

John745 Funster

20160407_163323.jpg 20160407_163227.jpg 20160407_163227.jpg
    This is the repair to the underside, the later model has a deck that runs completly from one side to the other with this well where the front wheel drops into which is 3mm steel which is a bit weak really, but the 5mm plate under will stop any future problems.
    Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

What is reversing like with these? From what I remember the smaller the trailer the more difficult it is to reverse. I never has a problem with my caravan but taking the 4' trailer to the tip was a nightmare!

10. MikeD

MikeD Funster

They are solid with the tow bar and don't articulate like a trailer. As you reverse the wheels spin round like a shopping trolley.

You can see the plate that bolts onto the towbar and the "Y" shape mounting that the pins fit into.

The actual position of the bike behind the motorhome never changes, it only articulates up/down on the pivot arms.

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. zac

zac Funster Life Member

Had mine towing a 200kg scooter, never had any issues mentioned above, i did have to get my motorhome towbar strengthened as it was quite flimsy and it did bend after only a couple of hundred yards of picking up "then" new scooter. Once that was sorted i never had any issues, previous to that i had another scooter on the back which was lighter at around 100kg and again no issues on a 3000 mile round trip. If i had not brought a Harley i would still have it now but have no need for it so it was sold a couple months ago to a member on here. It is a solid piece of kit and you dont really know it is there, of course you have to allow for the extra length on swing outs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. John745

John745 Funster

I concur with the two replies above, it's fixed to the tow bar so does not move side to side just up and down, and you don't know it's there on a MH just need to allow for the extra length on the back. This design means if you happen to take a wrong turn on your journey doing a three point turn is easy.
    NOTE: do not out one on the back of a car though, I had a Volvo estate (old heavy) and to say it was tail happy would be a gross under statement, in the wet you could win a drifting contests !

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

A side issue, have you had a good ride on the J300, that is double the weight that you are used to. Have you tried putting one on the trailer ?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

What tyre pressures are you currently using on the wheels of the easy lifter?

15. John745

John745 Funster

I run my tyres on the easy lifter at @26 PSI and all seems to work OK. If they are over inflated it will bounce up and down a lot and really sub 200Kg (100Kg per tyre) is not a lot for tyres of this type.

• Like Like x 2
  16. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

I have no experience of using a Hydratrail, but I'm curious as to how they perform considering they have no suspension or damping ?
    There are a couple of similar "trailers" of French design which are a lot more expensive but seem to perform very well, Google 'remorque' or check out youtube.

17. Teuchter

Teuchter Funster

Saw a homemade one utilising twin towing brackets in France - chatted to the owner he was delighted with it for his three wheeled scooter, seemed perfect to me. I have 2 electric bikes weighing 25 kilos each and currently have to lift them on to the cycle rack at about 4 feet off the ground!!
    At 73 I'm getting a bit old and doddery for this evolution and would welcome an easier method of transporting the bikes!
    I have discounted the regular tow ball mounted brackets though they would be ideal but with the fairly significant weight of the towbar assembly, the substantial carrier weight and due to licencing & current MoHo restricted to 3.5 tonne limit they are a non starter.
    However if the weight of the bikes and maybe some other "bits & Pieces" supported by the extra wheels all would be sweetness and light!! (pun intended) ;)

Two questions though:-

1. Ferry rules - is it a trailer and charged as such? is it a rear mounted cycle carrier? or do you just quote the overall length including hydratrail as part of the MoHo?

2. More crucially if stopped by the Police or VOSA and directed to a weighbridge what happens then? Is the Hydratrail classified as a trailer and removed before weighing ? (y) or classified as part of the vehicle and weighed as such? (n)

18. John745

John745 Funster

From my own experience and having a camera on the tow bar as well as up high both connected to an on/off switch so I can view both simultaneously on my screen, I can say the tyres follow the road surface very well, not bouncing around at all. Remember the bike has its own suspension which takes up the bumps in the road. If you try and tow with no bike on board then yes it bounces up and down like you would not believe because it's light.
    One can make the unit jump up into the air if you drive very vigorously but your MH will suffer it's contents as well so your unlikely in normal journeying to reach this level of ill advised driving.

• Like Like x 1
  19. zac

zac Funster Life Member

That seems very low,i was told by easylifter that it should be between 45-50psi, perhaps it has changed. Mine seemed ok on 45psi with 200kg on it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

The French version run with either two tow balls or on tow ball and a wide angle stabiliser bar, reducing the twisting action on the centre tow ball an close stabiliser as on the Hydratrail