Huawei mifi

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by stevec, Aug 28, 2014.

1. stevec

stevec Funster

I'm looking at mifi boxes for our trip to France. Has anyone an opinion on the Huawei E586. I know its an older unit but is anyone using one and is it any inferior to the E5220/E5330 that I see being offered?

2. voyagerstan

voyagerstan Read Only Funster

there all about the same

3. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

I still use the older one when away in the MH, works perfect though I cant say about abroad as we haven't been yet. :(

4. Clewsy

Clewsy Funster Life Member

Used a 586 for a few years always found it reliable but occasionally could not find a network. Bought a Netgear 763 and plug in additional arial a couple of months ago and it gets a better signal than the Huawei in marginal areas. Have kept the 586 as a spare / back up.

5. stevec

stevec Funster

I assume with any of these mifi devices I just buy a 3 data sim and plug it in. Do I need to register it or anything? And using it in France doesn't need anything special doing. I'm not familiar with this stuff at all.

6. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Having the ability to plug in an external aerial is a bonus, my mifi gets a much better signal with one but I am not sure the E586 has this feature.
    You have to configure the device by setting the correct APN for the network. The instructions should explain this and the 3 website should tell you what address to use.

7. DJA

DJA Funster

Hi

Is the mifi locked to anyone. If 3 then fine and will work in France as if you are in UK.

With a 3 sim you insert the sim then go onto 3 and set up a My3 account which is tied to the sim. You when can see roughly how much data you have used / have left. You usre the My3 account to add more data when you re running out.

Remember you need a Mobile Broadband Sim not a phone sim that has Data on it.

8. stevec

stevec Funster

I've been offered a used E586 at a good price so don't think there will be any instructions with it. I've got a 3 data sim from Argos (half price there). Hopefully the seller will be able to tell me what hoops to jump through. Do data sims have a mobile/device number?

I don't think the E586 has an external antenna port. But I've read on here that putting it in a sealed plastic bag and putting it on a flag pole (fishing rod) can get me more signal!! A recent thread I think.Not sure if I want to go to that extent.

9. Vinomog

Vinomog Read Only Funster

The 586E does indeed have an antenna port. I'm sitting looking at it at this moment and I've been using it attached to an external aerial.

10. Clewsy

Clewsy Funster Life Member

Where is the antenna port - I can't find one my E586 - mine is approx. 3 years old so they may have upgraded them since then.

11. stevec

stevec Funster

I have just bought said E586. There looks to be a minute connector in one corner under the battery. How you get a cable there is anyones guess. If it is a very low profile 90 degree connector and some modification of the "bodywork" is done then it looks like an external antenna can be added. Not as practical as a connector on the side though.

12. scotty1

scotty1 Funster

I have used e586 for last couple of yrs in uk no prob, but i got a couple of 3 data sims to take to france last wk and couldnt get them to work,even though i had good 3 signal.

13. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

dont forget the sim must be live in the uk for at least 2 full weeks before taking it to france etc

14. scotty1

scotty1 Funster

So if you have 1 month sim you only get to use your 1 gig allowance for 2 wks in france if you time it right? Cheers Scotty

15. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Back to op Q we have the E586 (unlocked) works perfectly well UK France Spain Portugal Germany Clogland Belgium can't say about other locations (y)

You may have to go into IP address 192.168.1.1 (from memory) password admin admin and tick the roaming box for it to work outside UK .long time ago when I did it

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  16. stevec

stevec Funster

I've activated the sim so 30 days has started. France in just over two weeks. I thought the sim could be used straight away as it is PAYG not contract. Not an issue for us as we leave two weeks this coming Monday. Do I need to set it for roaming.?

17. jollyrodger

Yes

18. stevec

stevec Funster

How is that done?

19. jollyrodger

With a 3 sim in the unit and on wifi (from it) or tethered via USB go into you my three dashboard or Google huawei E586 admin admin and look for links to it .when in dashboard full info there when signed in .look for roaming box and tick it .simples

20. DJA

DJA Funster

Hi

I too thought that if you take out a new monthly contract with 3 you have to have it working in the UK for 30 days before it will start to work in France as part of the Feel at Home Scheme they offer. However I understood that a PAYGO sim which lasts for a month or a particular quantity of data should work there straight away.

It could be that the Dongle or Wifi you have is old enough to not have European use switched on. I have had a 3 Dongle for years, but never used it abroad, and have just uprated the data allowance and received a WIFI. They advised me that the My3 account I have. which will have the new data allowance triggered shortly. is already set to allow overseas use.