How was our Motorhome stolen off my drive with no damage to lock or ignition (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Charlie9038
Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Relay theft is fine for keyless start and entry vehicles which the Fiat is not. https://www.timpson.co.uk/services/car-keys

If someone in possession of an original with a plausible story wanted to get a duplicate key, they can.

The motorhome was not really damaged, had been driven, had the steering lock intact

The keys were cloned, I cannot see any other scenario knowing all of the facts

Good to meet you both the other day btw @Charlie9038 (y)

Thanks for the confirmation on that Eddie, I can now sleep at night with the Growler & Non starter fitted.
That's unless they try again...It will wake the street up if they do, but at least they will be deaf & wont be able to start her up!
Thanks for all you help, great workmanship & expertise.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for the confirmation on that Eddie, I can now sleep at night with the Growler & Non starter fitted.
That's unless they try again...It will wake the street up if they do, but at least they will be deaf & wont be able to start her up!
Thanks for all you help, great workmanship & expertise.
Money well spent. Would be heading their way if I had the time.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Until you can get an alarm fitted I'd go for low tech, visible, make it harder to steal tactics.
If you have a swivel driver's seat, swivel it and padlock twice in place. Old fashioned "crook lock" on the steering wheel. Chain locks or wheel clamp. All delaying tactics making it less desirable to steal.
Oh and a "smile, you're in CCTV" sticker on the windscreen.
Sounds like my van plus i have internal Heosafe locks on front doors plus external heosafe on side sliding door,,plus alarm,,BUSBY..

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thank you, but Our street has parked cars exact reverse our residence, and the reason it was stopped would've been impossible, and furthermore the low fuel beam has been on when I picked it up, and I never run it that low. When we returned from our last trip, the gas had more than that amount of water in it.
Hi, please can you explain a little more about this post, your first. It is a little difficult to understand your point. Your avatar is “auto pro locksmith”, is this your business??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Hi, please can you explain a little more about this post, your first. It is a little difficult to understand your point. Your avatar is “auto pro locksmith”, is this your business??
How did you find out that he is a locksmith?

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Only asked as my son is a locksmith in Weymouth

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It said locksmith unti Annie asked about it.

Only asked as my son is a locksmith in Weymouth
It was a very weird first post. The avatar was just the words Auto Pro Locksmith and he/she referred to the auto pro locksmith website. However hiding behind a location flag that looked like Israel and the wording in the post, which still appears in my quote above in post #67 is odd even if english not first language.
Looks like Jim has removed the post and the references.

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Haven't read through the whole thread but a relative had his van stolen from under his bedroom window where he was sleeping. It had an alarm, tracker, steering lock and wheel clamp so shouldn't have been more secure. He also had CCTV coverage, what more can you do? Whole area is street lit.
Middle of the night low loader rocks up, the thieves have some sort of trolley system and they simply lifted the van up and wheeled it off down the road where it was loaded on to the truck to be never seen again. This was a Swift PVC so an A class may have been a bit more of a challenge.
The tracker was found thrown in a hedge a few miles away.
My question, is there an ultimate anti theft device, would/should an alarm have gone of in this case or is it just a matter of "If they want it they will get it somehow"

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Haven't read through the whole thread but a relative had his van stolen from under his bedroom window where he was sleeping. It had an alarm, tracker, steering lock and wheel clamp so shouldn't have been more secure. He also had CCTV coverage, what more can you do? Whole area is street lit.
Middle of the night low loader rocks up, the thieves have some sort of trolley system and they simply lifted the van up and wheeled it off down the road where it was loaded on to the truck to be never seen again. This was a Swift PVC so an A class may have been a bit more of a challenge.
The tracker was found thrown in a hedge a few miles away.
My question, is there an ultimate anti theft device, would/should an alarm have gone of in this case or is it just a matter of "If they want it they will get it somehow"
Surely the motion detectors should have set the alarm off?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back