How was our Motorhome stolen off my drive with no damage to lock or ignition (1 Viewer)

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
I woke up this yesterday at 0600 to find my Swift Bolero 2016 missing off my drive, the keys were in the hallway, how did this happen?
I reported it to the police, then contacted Tracker who said they will activate the tracking device.

I was really shocked and annoyed that the unexpected had happened and counting the loss as I was surely never going to see it again, when at 7.45 that day the police phoned me to say they are sitting in front of my motorhome..What a result I collected it that day.

On collection I am luckily surprised that the locks were intact, the ignition also intact, so how was this done without the keys?

I am in the process of fitting an alarm but curious as to how they managed to start it with the factory fitted immobiliser?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I woke up this yesterday at 0600 to find my Swift Bolero 2016 missing off my drive, the keys were in the hallway, how did this happen?
I reported it to the police, then contacted Tracker who said they will activate the tracking device.

I was really shocked and annoyed that the unexpected had happened and counting the loss as I was surely never going to see it again, when at 7.45 that day the police phoned me to say they are sitting in front of my motorhome..What a result I collected it that day.

On collection I am luckily surprised that the locks were intact, the ignition also intact, so how was this done without the keys?

I am in the process of fitting an alarm but curious as to how they managed to start it with the factory fitted immobiliser?

So pleased you got it back intact(y)
Locks can be picked and the vehicle started using equipment plugged into the vehicle diagnostics port....
Would think thats the most likely...
Im assuming the tracker worked well in this case...
May well have been parked up by the scrotes just in case it had a tracker..
Andy.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Check around the key escutcheons, there's a technique for getting into Sevels using a thin rod poked Just under the key surround.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Has it got remote central locking because there are scanners that can pick up the signal from the key fob when used, store it and reproduce it.
They can also be used on garage doors etc.

OP
OP
Charlie9038
Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Thanks for your replies, the locks are intact, no pin holes to open doors etc, the remote does open the central lcking so perhaps with the right software it could be copied but with the steering lock on and a key needed for the ignition how have they stolen it, perhaps an inside job from the dealer who copied the key and overrid the ducato cpu?
Or have the criminals got that techno? If thats the case everyone without an alarm and a tracker is a potentiol theft?

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
As previously said check the lock surrounds.

We met a couple in Spain who had their Fiat broken into.

This was the only damage. Look at the tiny indent in the plastic surround below the key entry. Poor isnt it. (n)

View media item 22801

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think it might have been Russian “ tourists”.

Glad you got it back ok(y)

OP
OP
Charlie9038
Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
I think it must be copied keys too, think i need to get an alarm from van bitz, but should i get fiat to change the lock & barrels or is there no point if the crooks have the tools and software to get in again?

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
What about those extra locks you can fit onto the door often advised fir tranis. Can’t remember the name! But somebody will know.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Move the obd port to a hidden place.
It’s worth changing the locks.
An after market alarm/imobiliser is worthwhile.

Good luck

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Look at deadlocks for cab and hab area.
Check out autowatch ghost. Can't be started even with keys.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Better to fit deadlocks and also check again for a tiny indent under the rubber surround of the drivers door lock. Like the white one above, ours was entered by this method but the mark far less noticeable. We have fitted pro plates to prevent access by this means again.
Never keep your keys in hallway as they can “read” them electronically. Won’t make any difference if you change the locks. I don’t know if you can get this code changed electronically by Fiat.
Anyone know this?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Please you got it back undamaged.
Always tend to think of Fiat's as quite hard to nick compared to Ford's so a bit worrying.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
curious as to how they managed to start it with the factory fitted immobiliser?

That is one HUGE question. If it can't be put down to an inside job duplicated key we are all going to pay once the insurers chew this over.

You did say "keys in hallway" but what about the second set ?

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Never thought of that, and will say no more for the moment.

OP
OP
Charlie9038
Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
That is one HUGE question. If it can't be put down to an inside job duplicated key we are all going to pay once the insurers chew this over.

You did say "keys in hallway" but what about the second set ?

Second set locked in the safe, main set on the key fob past the locked front door of the porch, 3 meters away behind another door, could tracer software get this far, For the sake of everyone else it must be a copy of the keys?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Glad you got it back undamaged.

We will all be watching this thread to find out how it was done but copied keys appears to be most likely.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
SWMBO says we now have to keep our keys in a tin to stop naughty people copying them from outside.
I reckon a much better solution is to remove a wheel........or do scrotes carry one around with them?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back