How to Refill AdBlue in Fiat Ducato? (1 Viewer)

May 9, 2023
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
Help please?
It's a Fiat Ducato and tells me I need to top up AdBlue soon. The dashboard looks like half empty. I've never done this before and I'm in France.
Can I top up at a filling station pump or do I need to buy a (probably plastic) can of AdBlue?
Or what?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure whoever refills your Adblue tank puts it in the correct filler - often they are side by side. Adblue in your diesel will kill your engine and must be drained straight away if you are to avoid very expensive repairs and rectification.
Good Funster friends of ours have just had to leave their M/H to be repatriated in France.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure whoever refills your Adblue tank puts it in the correct filler - often they are side by side. Adblue in your diesel will kill your engine and must be drained straight away if you are to avoid very expensive repairs and rectification.
Good Funster friends of ours have just had to leave their M/H to be repatriated in France.
As posted earlier maybe that was the thought process for the 2022 GMC Denali, the fillers are about 13" apart

"AdBlue/DEF is also on the diesel pick-up trucks but at 6.7L they are pretty much lorries. Not sure what the thought process was but watch a guy full up his GMC Dinali with diesel, drive off, turn round and come back to the DEF pump. Seems the fuel filler is rear left and DEF in under the bonnet on the right. Being short he had some trouble getting the nozzle into the DEF tank."

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I can understand that. My blue inlet is just below the diesel spout. In practise the ad blue and diesel nozzles are completely different but I could see how a distracted driver might put blue into the diesel tank.
I have some motorbikes, a petrol car, a diesel car and a diesel Moho. I actually do a double treble check before I stick any nozzle into anything.

Just ask Sally🤣🤣

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
I can understand that. My blue inlet is just below the diesel spout. In practise the ad blue and diesel nozzles are completely different but I could see how a distracted driver might put blue into the diesel tank.
I have some motorbikes, a petrol car, a diesel car and a diesel Moho. I actually do a double treble check before I stick any nozzle into anything.

Just ask Sally🤣🤣
Fuel Bingo, most stations only have Diesel - GREEN & 3 grades of Petrol - Black.
Racetrac in Florida have the FULL HOUSE
3 usual grades of Petrol BLACK except BP where it's GREEN & Chevron where it's BLUE, the same as AdBlue pump
E85 as sold in Europe is YELLOW
Ethanol free is Orange
Diesel is Green except BP where it's BLACK
Though having to select the fuel time with the buttons make miss fuelling harder.
But we have seen 3 drive offs with nozzle still attached and what should be a capital offence of leaving car at pump
and going into shop, longest we've seen is 20 minutes.
Fuel Bingo.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PlymBob
May 9, 2023
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks everyone. Filled up at Hyper U pump. Helpful French man showed me how payment system and pump worked, all good. Then surprised to see they had Grey water waste disposal AND toilet waste disposal AND high access jet wash so could wash roof of van as well as area around refuel nozzle.
It took 10 litres at €7.91. In store 10 litres in container was €18.99

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks everyone. Filled up at Hyper U pump. Helpful French man showed me how payment system and pump worked, all good. Then surprised to see they had Grey water waste disposal AND toilet waste disposal
Very common at Super U & Hyper U stores and Motorhome parking spaces.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Thanks everyone. Filled up at Hyper U pump. Helpful French man showed me how payment system and pump worked, all good. Then surprised to see they had Grey water waste disposal AND toilet waste disposal AND high access jet wash so could wash roof of van as well as area around refuel nozzle.
It took 10 litres at €7.91. In store 10 litres in container was €18.99
Well done and a good garage found. (y)

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
If a post is edits after original posting it is shown in the bottom right corner that it has been
"Last edited: Date : Time"
Only posts #26 has been edit relative to die/dye discussion.
This post has been edited as example to include Last Edit:.....
Presuming Poppercamper has reviewed posts, realised error and gone silent!

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
I am really confused now.....
Yes you did... however you changed it after my initial post so are you saying you can willy nilly change your posts, and then indicate that I am in the wrong....
Your first post quite clearly states "Die"
And then you say It changed it to Dye
Please let's not argue over this...
Suggest you go thru the thread and see timeline of what you actually posted..

If a post is edits after original posting it is shown in the bottom right corner that it has been
"Last edited: Date : Time"
Only posts #26 has been edit relative to die/dye discussion.
This post has been edited as example to include Last Edit:........
Having had 3 day and not response, guessing Poppycamper realised error(s)!

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2022
Holmfirth, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 135
When my adblu light came on in France, I bought some and added about 10 L. The light stayed on and I had read that failing to top up could cause the vehicle to refuse to start. I tried a few garages as there seemed to be a problem, but no one wanted to help. Three days and about 100 miles later, the light went out. Much to my relief.

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months
Help please?
It's a Fiat Ducato and tells me I need to top up AdBlue soon. The dashboard looks like half empty. I've never done this before and I'm in France.
Can I top up at a filling station pump or do I need to buy a (probably plastic) can of AdBlue?
Or what?
This what we carry and use
No chance of spilling and shuts off when tank full.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2023
Ely, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria 640 Twin
Exp
Since 2015
Help please?
Or what?
Fill up from the truck Adblu pump. The car one was too large for our Ducato filler.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2020
North Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free S 600
Exp
Extensively by motorcycle, now trying it with a little more luxury!
Arguments over spelling a word, I can see how civil wars start now. :LOL:

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2019
Stratford upon Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis 504
Exp
Since 2001
Help please?
Or what?
My Ducato holds 19 litres. Often difficult to top up from a can, much easier from a pump. Good luck

Upvote 0
Aug 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido V:68
Exp
Since 2013
Most bottles have their own spout.
Unless you are caught out on an Italian motorway ! First time I had seen light on so stopped at first station not knowing how long I had , 10 litre container bought , no spout ,an interesting fill to say least …..some spillage ! Keep a spout in van now.

Upvote 0
May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
I'm told the lorry AdBlue pumps have a higher flow rate which can cause lesser vehicles problems. I'm not sure I've ever noticed a "car" AdBlue pump in the UK. How do you tell them apart?

Dave

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Its better to fill at the pump. In France and Spain they are usually by where the lorries fill up. Lots of self service garages won't let you fill up with AD blue until they authorise your credit card. I always wear disposable gloves when filling up AD blue especially if I am forced to use a can. The best garage experience I have had came in Spain at garage Adrian just outside the La Manga campsite on the Valencia road where the attendant done the diesel, AD blue and my gas.

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Newbie here
The price of AdBlu in the UK can vary quite a bit, depending on where you buy it from.

According to my very limited research the cheapest place for a branded make of AdBlu is Aldi (when they have it in).

The current Aldi price in my area (Bury, Bolton) is £14.99 for 10l of Redex Adblu

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Benivan 120
Exp
since Feb 2018
My last (and probably only) trip to Fiat dealer, the tech said always wait for light to come on then fill with no more than 5 ltr! Anymore can create an error code! They dont like it full! I kinda follow that advice now and wont be told otherwise!

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
My last (and probably only) trip to Fiat dealer, the tech said always wait for light to come on then fill with no more than 5 ltr! Anymore can create an error code! They dont like it full! I kinda follow that advice now and wont be told otherwise!
I guess it depends on what size Adblue tank you have and what the warning level is set to but it makes sensr not to overfill. For info as mentioned previously my 2022 Heavy Chassis Ducato has a 19l tank and when the light comes on it takes 10l comfortably from a forecourt container no spills no dramas. (y)

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992

Conflicting advice from Fiat……website states top up with “at least 5 litres of AdBlue®”

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Never had Adblue vehicle.... and reading some of these comments, I don't think I want one...
However, please out of interest, what happens if you were to run out of Adblue?
And not just Ducato's, but vehicles in general??

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Never had Adblue vehicle.... and reading some of these comments, I don't think I want one...
However, please out of interest, what happens if you were to run out of Adblue?
And not just Ducato's, but vehicles in general??

They stop, won’t restart or do something like going into limp mode. Best avoided.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back