How to Refill AdBlue in Fiat Ducato? (1 Viewer)

May 9, 2023
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
Help please?
It's a Fiat Ducato and tells me I need to top up AdBlue soon. The dashboard looks like half empty. I've never done this before and I'm in France.
Can I top up at a filling station pump or do I need to buy a (probably plastic) can of AdBlue?
Or what?

OP
OP
PlymBob
May 9, 2023
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks, do you know how much the tank holds?
And can you pour in straight from the bottle, or will I need a funnel?

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
On my 2022 Ducato I was in the Highlands of Scotland when my light came on. No Adblue pumps so just called into the nearest garage and bought a 10l container of Adblue and it took the lot. Switched on the ignition without touching the brake pedal waited about a minute for the sensors to register, fired up and the dial Adblue registered full.
No mess no dramas just made sure the nozzle supplied was fully into the filler hole no need for funnel. Job done.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Thanks, do you know how much the tank holds?
And can you pour in straight from the bottle, or will I need a funnel?
I think the tank holds 19l. As I said above when light came on for me it took the 10l.

Edit. as David and Sally have said below the spout is supplied but just make sure it is pushed fully into the filler hole.(y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 4, 2019
North licolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
We bought adblue from intermarche in France once. Have also used the pump. Adblue is much cheaper from the pump.
From warning light you have still got 1000+ miles before empty, so google says. So don't panic. Just pick some up when you next see it.

Upvote 0
Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Lots of Super U supermarkets in France do AdBlue at the pump. Last time i filled at the pump in France a few weeks ago it was about 52 cents per litre. Seen it at lots of other service stations too.

Dead easy to use the pump and cheaper than buying it in containers.

Upvote 0

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
If you look inside the filler "hole" you will see a silver coloured shutter. This is forced open by the spout attached to the plastic bottle to allow the liquid in. Depending what year your van is, some have a gauge, some dont - just the symbol.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
From warning light you have still got 1000+ miles before empty, so google says. So don't panic. Just pick some up when you next see it.
The distance to empty is very dependant on conditions.
In Kon-Tiki 599 2.3 160bhp Max we have covered 61,000 miles, 53,000 in USA.
AdBlue/DEF comes in 9.5 litres containers in USA and between May 2023 and today the 9.5 litres has lasted between 600 - 2,400 miles. Pretty much only truck stations have pumps as diesel cars/vans are very uncommon.
Personally we carry a bottle as the van will, stop running if not topped up soon enough.
My searching suggests tank is 19L but from when the warning light comes on, no level indicator, we can only get about 4.5L in.
We had an issue with using the pumps in Spain, would not dispense, had to borrow a magnetic collar from
station to activate the pump. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2855772489...pid=5339023013&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1
No issue using pumps here in USA.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
PlymBob I would definitely use the pump, cleaner, safer from spillage and generally cheaper, especially abroad. When the first warning comes on my gauge looks about half full and I’ve put in around 11-12L. The mileage has varied between fills due to the driving conditions I believe. The tank is definitely a 19L one too

Upvote 0
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
Be ready to thoroughly wash any spillage from your vehicles paintwork or bodywork. It is highly corrosive however you fill.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Be ready to thoroughly wash any spillage from your vehicles paintwork or bodywork. It is highly corrosive however you fill.
AdBlue is not HIGHLY corrosive, it's high-purity urea (32.5%) and deionised water (67.5%), as mammals we excrete urea.
Don't panic, it has written labelled as an irritant, yes rinse spill & hands.
If it was corrosive, it would be labelled as such.
Corrosive.png

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
I'm surprised they have adblue in USA. Thought it was an EU green fudge thing.
The US might have only band the use of Chrysotile Asbestos/White Asbestos YESTERDAY (18th March 2024) but AdBlue or DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) has been mandatory in heavy diesel vehicles since 2010, yep surprised me.
Though saying band, manufacturers have 10 years to source and implement replacement material.

AdBlue/DEF is also on the diesel pick-up trucks but at 6.7L they are pretty much lorries. Not sure what the thought process was but watch a guy full up his GMC Dinali with diesel, drive off, turn round and come back to the DEF pump. Seems the fuel filler is rear left and DEF in under the bonnet on the right. Being short he had some trouble getting the nozzle into the DEF tank.

Walmart is the cheapest we've found $10 for 9.5L, cheaper than any pump price I've see.
They do another brand that is $23 why would you?
Going to bring back a couple of the containers and refill using pumps as that is the cheapest way I've seen it in Europe. Not seen pumps in UK but presume they'll appear at some point..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Ill informed I think..!

Ah too late.. again.. Jez1966 already cleared this up..👍👍
There are plenty of sites saying it is though:
Example the RAC: "Be aware that although AdBlue is non-toxic, it is corrosive and can cause irritation to the skin, eyes and lungs." https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/...hat although AdBlue,rinse the area with water.

Household vinegar is "corrosive", but we splash it on our chips.
As I say "careful what you read on the internet, you might die of a spelling mistake"

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Can I nick that, not written it before:

As I say "careful what you read on the internet, you might dye of a spelling mistake"
I Would give you an 🤣
But feel it needs a very personal and up close
Feck That Wuz Funny!!

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Suggest you check what you did write...
I see "DIE" what did you imagine you wrote , i never saw "DYE" !!
When I asked to nick it I changed it to DYE
Can I nick that, not written it before:

As I say "careful what you read on the internet, you might dye of a spelling mistake"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Best to use the pumped adblue. Nozzle fits in below the flap to prevent back splashes and stops automatically when full. Plus its cheaper at the pump.
If you buy a container you have to fit the supplied nozzle which is not the best fit and maybe not long enough to open the flap valve so will cause spillage. It's awkward to use from a canister. The pump is just like refuelling. And there is no waste no canisters to carry. Always new adblu, not stored on a sunny forcourt. (y)

Upvote 1
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
When I asked to nick it I changed it to DYE
I am really confused now.....
Yes you did... however you changed it after my initial post so are you saying you can willy nilly change your posts, and then indicate that I am in the wrong....
Your first post quite clearly states "Die"
And then you say It changed it to Dye
Please let's not argue over this...
Suggest you go thru the thread and see timeline of what you actually posted..

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
I am really confused now.....
Yes you did... however you changed it after my initial post so are you saying you can willy nilly change your posts, and then indicate that I am in the wrong....
Your first post quite clearly states "Die"
And then you say It changed it to Dye
Please let's not argue over this...
Suggest you go thru the thread and see timeline of what you actually posted..
If a post is edits after original posting it is shown in the bottom right corner that it has been
"Last edited: Date : Time"
Only posts #26 has been edit relative to die/dye discussion.
This post has been edited as example to include Last Edit:........

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
AdBlue is not HIGHLY corrosive, it's high-purity urea (32.5%) and deionised water (67.5%), as mammals we excrete urea.
Don't panic, it has written labelled as an irritant, yes rinse spill & hands.
If it was corrosive, it would be labelled as such.
View attachment 877868
Thanks didnt know as is obvious now

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back