How to mount an adult tricycle on a motorhome (1 Viewer)

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Simple question isn't it as a mobility scooter user I am trying to find something smaller that would allow me my mobility but without the weight of an 8mph scooter (mine is 75KG) and trikes weigh considerably less and are faster too

SO
are there racks available that can be adjusted to take a trike (and a bike for Steph)or do I have to make something to carry one ?

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
First climb up onto the motorhome, then up onto the trike ???
Sorry. VERY silly !!
Mitch. :rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
A few of the Quad racers carry them vertically on a Rack on the back of trucks , and the same inside so they can get 2 in the space that one takes up,

I am sure that if you hung it by the front wheel , high up, vertically , it wouldn't stick out much more than a 3 bike rack ... will look for pictures.

if you are clever , maybe you can fit the other bike across the middle of the trike.. without seeing pictures its hard to tell

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Isn't that funny, I'm just back from a walk, one of those low fast 3-wheelers-with-the-flag-pole-so-cars-can-see-you flashed by. I was very impressed and started thinking how could I hang one on the back of our van. I get back here and that very subject is being discussed on the forum!! Freaky. It must be the Halloween effect.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A few of the Quad racers carry them vertically on a Rack on the back of trucks , and the same inside so they can get 2 in the space that one takes up,

I am sure that if you hung it by the front wheel , high up, vertically , it wouldn't stick out much more than a 3 bike rack ... will look for pictures.

if you are clever , maybe you can fit the other bike across the middle of the trike.. without seeing pictures its hard to tell
Have you tried lifting one ?
At a rough guess...30kg to 40kg.
Being able to Lift the whole bike with the front wheel at maybe 7ft doesnt qualify as disabled.

Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
IMG_2727.JPG

Yep.. PWS do a trike trailer..

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Have you tried lifting one ?
At a rough guess...30kg to 40kg.
Being able to Lift the whole bike with the front wheel at maybe 7ft doesnt qualify as disabled.
I take it you are disabled.
What else makes you cross, you know, the things you see people do and make you sure they cannot really be disabled.
We have a guy who lives in the village and is known as '2 sticks', he has a trike and nigh on speed walks waving his sticks about! :cautious:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thule do a towball mounted rack that is flat and can be adapted for a number of uses - I mount a back box on mine. It's relatively light and should take a trike - in fact that was the original reason I got it as the wife is unable to ride a bike so I was thinking about a trike. Haven't progressed that idea though.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I take it you are disabled.
No, you're mistaken.
Could be my avatar which confuses things:LOL:

But I still get wound up by so called disabled shysters.
I'm not insinuating madcaravanner isn't disabled, I don't know him, but i was pointing out to heave a 30kg bike up the back of a van points to needing to be pretty able bodied.

We do have one joker reckons to be blind....walks with a white stick and wears a yellow reflective shoulder harness.
Saw him in sainsbury the other day with nothing more than a basket....he seemed to be able to see the goods on the shelves with no problem.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Simple question isn't it as a mobility scooter user I am trying to find something smaller that would allow me my mobility but without the weight of an 8mph scooter (mine is 75KG) and trikes weigh considerably less and are faster too

SO
are there racks available that can be adjusted to take a trike (and a bike for Steph)or do I have to make something to carry one ?
Look at DavidandGinnys post ,,,,,BUSBY,,

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
We have seen many able bodied, who carry a stick and get the "limp" wrong..
Hey Ho, It gives them money.
To anyone who IS disabled in any way, this must annoy them even more than it does me !!!!
Mitch.

It is not always easy to judge if some one is disabled,,they may have heart or respiratory problems or mental health issues,,,i always think there by the grace of god,,,,If you have good health embrace it a don't worry about the odd con merchant,,,,BUSBY:D:D:D

OP
OP
Madcaravanner
Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
No, you're mistaken.

I'm not insinuating madcaravanner isn't disabled, I don't know him, but i was pointing out to heave a 30kg bike up the back of a van points to needing to be pretty able bodied.

We do have one joker reckons to be blind....walks with a white stick and wears a yellow reflective shoulder harness.
Saw him in sainsbury the other day with nothing more than a basket....he seemed to be able to see the goods on the shelves with no problem.

:LOL:

Well I do try to do as much as possible but there is NO WAY I can lift my scooter into my Motability car although I can drive it up the ramps or my smaller one dismantles into around 7 parts
I have written about my problems on my intro page so won't repeat here but I agree with Pappajohn I hate those folk who claim disability but are not whilst I struggle to perform daily living tasks on a bad day but on a good day I can walk almost 30 metres

OP
OP
Madcaravanner
Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Going to note that I have seen a rear mounted rack that has a fixing to a tow bar but is fixed like the Thule bike racks and also has large castor wheels to take the weight of the load
It is apparently legal in parts of Europe (Spain) but I have yet to check abouts it's legality here in the UK unfortunately I have no images

OP
OP
Madcaravanner
Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Yes it is annoying and that's putting it mildly.
But sometimes a person can be carrying a stick just for balance, it does happen.......or because they can go into spasm without warning.

There is no such thing as a wrong limp as my physio pals used to say (the joys of being a nurse in Rehab Elderly care) just the wrong advice and you will see folk who just buy a stick and use it totally wrong even though they have been shown and a sudden cramp or spasm can put some of us on the ground or cause me to scream in pain

The biggest problem is invisible conditions you can't see the damage of a spinal injury of a stroke especially on a good day although some of them are few and far between I do enjoy more in warm weather (Southern France and Spain) than here in winter

And Yes you also see those who use a stick to milk the system or to go begging as in Spain when you see adults using a childs crutch to beg for money which is so false it makes me wonder why more people don't see through it

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Yes, in my case it's MS......even the experts can get that wrong.....'you do not have pain with MS'....really, tell that to someone who has it!
How are you getting on Mrsambulancekidd? As a carer for Sue who has PPMS I quite agree, most of the time it is invisible but very visible to her and to me. Keep well.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
To get back on topic.........................
We met someone with a folding electric trike a while back.
It looked really good. They folded it at night and kept it inside the MoHo.
I seem to think it was Italian and could have been called Zorro, or something similar.

Richard.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
No, you're mistaken.

I have a friend who is in a wheelchair who could lift me as high as he can reach,,The fact that he has propelled a wheelchair for years has made his upper body strength fantastic,,Never judge a book by its cover,,BUSBY:D2:D2:D2

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Dave and Ginny posted about this last year,,,he managed to mount one ok. BUSBY.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
To get back on topic.........................
We met someone with a folding electric trike a while back.
It looked really good. They folded it at night and kept it inside the MoHo.
I seem to think it was Italian and could have been called Zorro, or something similar.

Richard.
It is called a Broken Link Removed and the electric version costs about £2,500.

OP
OP
Madcaravanner
Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
It is called a Broken Link Removed and the electric version costs about £2,500.

OUCH!!!!

Don't think SWMBO would let me fork out that much it's bad enough doing so for a big scooter that needs new batteries every 2 years and they cost nearly £300 a pair been looking at a battery thread on here too wish Lithium ones were cheaper

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I've just had a brain wave, my new electric lift Bike Rack would lift a trike provided it doesn't exceed 60kg.

it out.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
We bought a TGA S3 Breeze a few months ago. It is brilliant for Sue, I love the idea of the Di blasi when her MS is modified enough to cycle again.
I have a TGA Breeze 4, have had it for a good few years now and it cost £1600 2nd hand, it was only 3 years old.
I have been down rocky lanes, through fords, up & down fields and all sorts of other places people are always surprised by when they see me. I have aside from taking the dogs out, lead horses along the road to another field, towed huge bags of hay...........................the list is endless.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back