How to contain a 1 year old in motorhome. (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
@Spawn_e_git I know that SWMBO has said no to the overcab, but our first motorhome adventure was in a rented Voyager 695EL, our little one was 18 months old at the time. We put her in the overcab with the cargo nets up, and had no issues at all. The net is really strong, and I seriously doubt a youngster could injure themselves on it.

Now she's 8, and she regards the overcab as her own private fiefdom, I'm not allowed to sleep up there even if I take the van away on my own! Mind you, I'm not entirely sure I'd fit, with all the fluffy toys that she stores up there! :D

OP
OP
Spawn_e_git

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Hi thanks for the replies (the sensible ones at least ). We have ordered a couple f small travel cots to see if any can be fitted in.

We have a couple of travel cot / play pens at home but they are far too big.

Over cab is not happening at the moment. Maybe when he is a bit bigger.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Ours have all used either a high up luton bed or bunk in the caravan, always secured by a net and we never had any issues. Most of the time they have shared the luton bed with us, loads of space up there.

We did try a travel cot but it took up lots of space and we could only position it in the centre of the van where we would typically have lights on in the evening.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The last time I took a child of that age (34 years ago) I made up a folding wooden cot rail, just one side and an end, made to measure to fit a dinette seat, with a thin cot waterproof mattress. Worked fine and took up little space when not in use. We have a folding cot at home for our 1 year old grandson, but although the cot folds up reasonable small the mattress doesn't.

edit. I could mention that he likes to go in our smaller collies crate with said collie, however we wouldn't leave him alone there with the dog.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I can't speak from experience about a toddler in a motorhome as we didn't get ours until our kids were old enough to not be invited! I agree that the over cab bed is definitely a non starter, I'd be worried that he would fall and hurt himself and if he's anything like my son he'd climb over any barrier put in his way! So I'd either make up the dinette with some sort of barrier like he temporary clip on cot sides or I'd find a small, collapsible travel cot that would pack away in the daytime.

From experience it always amazed us that our two boisterous, energetic and highly charged toddlers were tamed by 'the great outdoors' and all it had to offer and gave us and them the best nights sleep we ever had.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Hi thanks for the replies (the sensible ones at least ).

You are most welcome, some of the suggestions were just silly, a nail gun I ask you, just think of all the holes you would need to fill in afterwards and as for the electric fence, how would you keep the batteries topped up off grid. You would probably need to go to the extra expense of solar panels or worse a generator!! :rolleyes::whistle::)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
If a folding travel cot where your table normally goes is not an option, when our kids were very small we used one of these in our old trailer tent, on top of a normal bed - little'un in a baby sleeping bag and then on this airbed - stopped them rolling off the bed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kids-Trav...543031?hash=item3d2d17da77:g:X9UAAOSwux5YW9CJ

That could possibly go on your floor, so nowhere for little'un to fall? I would also not be happy with a kid that young in an overcab bed, the guard on ours is not very substantial. We took it off and now use it on the side of a dinette bed to make it slightly more difficult for our youngest to chuck his duvet off during the night! It's definitely not sturdy enough to stop a child falling out of bed.

This might be an option as well:-

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back