How much water?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by AL99, May 6, 2014.

1. AL99

AL99 Read Only Funster

Just been to Lowdhams getting a minor repair dealt with and this chap came in with a leak on his fresh water tank. The person he was talking to stated that all manufactures advised to run with no more than 1Ltr in the tank and the reason why he had the water on his floor was it was too full and that he may have made the long journey there for nothing, but they would look at it anyway.
    We run with anything from full to a third depending on how long we are away and fill as necessary. What do other Funsters think about this? It seems unreasonable to only run with a litre of water aboard.

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

what a load of tosh........

If the tank overflow is correctly routed to the outside then even running full wont cause a problem, but you may lose some water due to movement and overflowing.

• Like Like x 5
  3. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

Crazy, I travel with 100 - 200 litres in my tank

4. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

That is a pathetic answer! Water tanks are for carrying water! 1 litre wouldn't wet the bottom. I always run with empty waste tanks, and a full fresh water tank.

Craig

• Like Like x 7
  5. icantremember

icantremember Funster

We often travel with a full tank and have never lost any. However I know some m/h will loose water through an overflow while on the road but have never heard of only carrying 1litre ... doesn't sound right to me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. vectian

vectian Funster

Seems a bit pointless to me only having a litre in the tank. Surely you take as much as you think you'll need until you can fill up again. One litre wont last long if you're going wild for a few nights will it.

7. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

As others have said, that sounds like a load of rubbish! We usually travel with a full tank (140 litres)

Bill

8. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Usually travel with half a tank full, no problems, think the person telling you this needs a bit of retraining. :RollEyes:

9. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

talking out of his bum to be honest. the manufacturers quote a laden weight including fuel and fresh water tanks being full. not a lot of use having a tank on a motorhome if you cant use it to take water on the road with you

10. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

What a load of crap, just fobbing him off, typical of the larger dealers, treat customers like idiots. We regularly travel full of water 140 litres I think, and the only time we lost any was when I left the bathroom tap on and arrived with a empty tank :Doh:

11. Tincataylor

Tincataylor Funster

I never travel with a full tank.........I wait and sober up a bit first :thumb:

Tinca

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bellini

Bellini Funster

I just travel with whatever's left from the previous trip. In Udo's current case, that's about 3/4 of a tank.

I'd say you're either having your bell rung or your informant is clueless.

13. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

and from that we can assume your grey tank doesnt leak either. :Laughing:

14. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Never thought of that John :thumb:

15. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Come to think of it, I could use 1 litre of water just by brushing my teeth:Doh:

Margaret

16. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

Wot a big gob...:Wink::Blush::Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  17. flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken Funster Life Member

What a Knob this person is, he makes a dealer look very incompetent, wonder if the service manager knows what he said???. Motorhomes are designed to run with on board water, and to be used when you park up somewhere where there is no water to be obtained ie off site,,, he must be thinking about caravans???? and if this is the calibre of this person then I would not have any trust in the dealership or any of the other persons there,,, find yourself a competent dealership to carry out your repairs etc, and I would certainly not buy a mh from them with staff like that who know nothing by the sound of it and just trying to make himself look important instead of giving real good advice to a customer and treating a customer with the utmost of contempt. Members of staff like this can ruin a dealerships reputation even if they are good and don't deserve it Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

• Like Like x 1
  18. AL99

AL99 Read Only Funster

I think it was the service manager, it was certainly the person in charge of the office at that time and oh and it was a lady. I am quite new to motorhoming and lacked the confidence to interrupt.
    This shows the power of this forum and the value of experience.
    My van is still under warranty and I have to go there currently.

Thank you for all your comments.
    Thank you for all your comments.

• Like Like x 2
  19. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

Are you sure it was the "Fresh" water tank and not "Flush" water tank they were talking about as that would be the correct advice in the latter case

20. teknik155

teknik155 Funster

water

The only time I fill my water tanks is when I'm wild camping.Even going to the shows I only have 20 litres on board .why!! 100 litres of water is 100 kg more weight uses more fuel. Even the shows have taps and as I use a watering can to top up my water its not too much trouble. Also my old van dosen't have a great payload so I'd rather bring more beer.
    reference to debate my onboard water tank has an inspection hatch/entry for water pump wires and pipes and with full ta k it has been known to leak through there must get some new grommets. .