Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New with lots to learn
Just been to Lowdhams getting a minor repair dealt with and this chap came in with a leak on his fresh water tank. The person he was talking to stated that all manufactures advised to run with no more than 1Ltr in the tank and the reason why he had the water on his floor was it was too full and that he may have made the long journey there for nothing, but they would look at it anyway.
We run with anything from full to a third depending on how long we are away and fill as necessary. What do other Funsters think about this? It seems unreasonable to only run with a litre of water aboard.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
what a load of tosh........

If the tank overflow is correctly routed to the outside then even running full wont cause a problem, but you may lose some water due to movement and overflowing.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Crazy, I travel with 100 - 200 litres in my tank

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
That is a pathetic answer! Water tanks are for carrying water! 1 litre wouldn't wet the bottom. I always run with empty waste tanks, and a full fresh water tank.

Craig

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We often travel with a full tank and have never lost any. However I know some m/h will loose water through an overflow while on the road but have never heard of only carrying 1litre ... doesn't sound right to me.

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
Seems a bit pointless to me only having a litre in the tank. Surely you take as much as you think you'll need until you can fill up again. One litre wont last long if you're going wild for a few nights will it.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
As others have said, that sounds like a load of rubbish! We usually travel with a full tank (140 litres)

Bill

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Usually travel with half a tank full, no problems, think the person telling you this needs a bit of retraining. :RollEyes:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
talking out of his bum to be honest. the manufacturers quote a laden weight including fuel and fresh water tanks being full. not a lot of use having a tank on a motorhome if you cant use it to take water on the road with you

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
What a load of crap, just fobbing him off, typical of the larger dealers, treat customers like idiots. We regularly travel full of water 140 litres I think, and the only time we lost any was when I left the bathroom tap on and arrived with a empty tank :Doh:

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
I never travel with a full tank.........I wait and sober up a bit first :thumb:

Tinca

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I just travel with whatever's left from the previous trip. In Udo's current case, that's about 3/4 of a tank.

I'd say you're either having your bell rung or your informant is clueless.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What a load of crap, just fobbing him off, typical of the larger dealers, treat customers like idiots. We regularly travel full of water 140 litres I think, and the only time we lost any was when[HI] I left the bathroom tap on and arrived with a empty tank [/HI]:Doh:

and from that we can assume your grey tank doesnt leak either. :roflmto:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Come to think of it, I could use 1 litre of water just by brushing my teeth:Doh:

Margaret

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Just been to Lowdhams getting a minor repair dealt with and this chap came in with a leak on his fresh water tank. The person he was talking to stated that all manufactures advised to run with no more than 1Ltr in the tank and the reason why he had the water on his floor was it was too full and that he may have made the long journey there for nothing, but they would look at it anyway.
We run with anything from full to a third depending on how long we are away and fill as necessary. What do other Funsters think about this? It seems unreasonable to only run with a litre of water aboard.

What a Knob this person is, he makes a dealer look very incompetent, wonder if the service manager knows what he said???. Motorhomes are designed to run with on board water, and to be used when you park up somewhere where there is no water to be obtained ie off site,,, he must be thinking about caravans???? and if this is the calibre of this person then I would not have any trust in the dealership or any of the other persons there,,, find yourself a competent dealership to carry out your repairs etc, and I would certainly not buy a mh from them with staff like that who know nothing by the sound of it and just trying to make himself look important instead of giving real good advice to a customer and treating a customer with the utmost of contempt. Members of staff like this can ruin a dealerships reputation even if they are good and don't deserve it Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

OP
OP
AL99

AL99

Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New with lots to learn
What a Knob this person is, he makes a dealer look very incompetent, wonder if the service manager knows what he said???. Motorhomes are designed to run with on board water, and to be used when you park up somewhere where there is no water to be obtained ie off site,,, he must be thinking about caravans???? and if this is the calibre of this person then I would not have any trust in the dealership or any of the other persons there,,, find yourself a competent dealership to carry out your repairs etc, and I would certainly not buy a mh from them with staff like that who know nothing by the sound of it and just trying to make himself look important instead of giving real good advice to a customer and treating a customer with the utmost of contempt. Members of staff like this can ruin a dealerships reputation even if they are good and don't deserve it Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

I think it was the service manager, it was certainly the person in charge of the office at that time and oh and it was a lady. I am quite new to motorhoming and lacked the confidence to interrupt.
This shows the power of this forum and the value of experience.
My van is still under warranty and I have to go there currently.

Thank you for all your comments.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Are you sure it was the "Fresh" water tank and not "Flush" water tank they were talking about as that would be the correct advice in the latter case

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
water

The only time I fill my water tanks is when I'm wild camping.Even going to the shows I only have 20 litres on board .why!! 100 litres of water is 100 kg more weight uses more fuel. Even the shows have taps and as I use a watering can to top up my water its not too much trouble. Also my old van dosen't have a great payload so I'd rather bring more beer.
reference to debate my onboard water tank has an inspection hatch/entry for water pump wires and pipes and with full ta k it has been known to leak through there must get some new grommets. .

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I run about with the flush tank 3/4 full

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Have to file that alongside “ Oh, they all do that ” good old Liedhams, never dissapoint :shout:

OP
OP
AL99

AL99

Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New with lots to learn
Are you sure it was the "Fresh" water tank and not "Flush" water tank they were talking about as that would be the correct advice in the latter case

Definately fresh water tank, 1Ltr she said, carry just enough to make a cup of tea. A cuppa from the waste tank would be a strange brew:ROFLMAO:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I think it was the service manager, it was certainly the person in charge of the office at that time and oh and it was a lady. I am quite new to motorhoming and lacked the confidence to interrupt.
This shows the power of this forum and the value of experience.
My van is still under warranty and I have to go there currently.

We run with a full tank, even when going direct to a club site 'cos it takes an eternity to fill through the whale system. I've had the odd queue behind me before now particularly when a few check in at the same time. Allan, I should ask the same question next time you're there, hopefully a different salesman. If you get the same answer, well . . . .

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
We run with full tank from home and top up as we go,,,,we might loose a little from overflow at start but soon settles down and then no problems,,,,,if only supposed to travel with 1ltr you would be knackerd for washing up after a bacon butty stop on the way......:Eeek:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
BO**OCKS! A service manager who should not be in the job. I normally travel full (120 litres) - no problems in 7 years apart from once when there was a small leak around one of the pump pipe seals.

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
Basically run with all tanks empty or just enough to flush the loo and make a couple of drinks.
Cant really see the point of paying carriage for what is available at the destination or for something I want rid of anyway.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Basically run with all tanks empty or just enough to flush the loo and make a couple of drinks.
Cant really see the point of paying carriage for what is available at the destination or for something I want rid of anyway.

Well a full tank for us weighs about the same as a passenger .. When we first got 'in to' motor homing I repeatedly run tests and checks to try and get better mpg.
After months of tests and spread sheets full of numbers I concluded that it cost us less in fuel to carry the water around than a 10 minute head wind !
After that we just gave up and enjoyed the van :thumb:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Definately fresh water tank, 1Ltr she said, carry just enough to make a cup of tea. A cuppa from the waste tank would be a strange brew:ROFLMAO:
In that case she obviously knows nothing about the product they sell or are worried about the total lack of payload in most modern vans, by the way when I said flush tank I meant the toilet flush where it is advised to only carry a small amount of flush water whilst traveling.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back