How Long.. ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by old-mo, Oct 28, 2013.

1. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Our M/H has two 180 amp hour batterys...

Every thing that is electric, even the numerous power points, 240V on the fridge/freezer... etc runs through the Sine Wave 2000w inverter... :RollEyes:

How long would a 650 watt kettle take to boil approx. 1 litre of water.. ?

I`m not sure if the whole set up is set up right.. The ALDE wet central heating system works fantastic on gas.... and there is provision to put it through mains electric 1 - 2 or 3 Kilawats..

1 seems OK but 2 or 3 the inverter is struggling and on 3 a buzzer sounds... :Sad:

All the RV`s & M/Homes we have had in the past.... as soon as you plug into EHU it supply`s all the power points, and trickle charges the battery`s...... un hook and you loose power to the points..

We do have 3 large Solar panels, which are next to useless if cloudy or over cast...

Any suggestions, Please.. :thumb:

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Buy a Burstner, not a Rapido :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

And welcome to the Wind Up Hilda Club :Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 5
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

not surprised it struggles Mo.

2000watts is 2kw....bang on the inverters limit and add any other lightish load and will put it over.
    1kw = 50% load
    2kw = 100% load
    3kw....not a chance on a 2000w inverter.

if a standard 3kw kettle takes 3 minutes to boil, a 650w may take upwards of 15 minutes

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  4. tinkering

tinkering Funster

Old Mo,s sparks

I am not an expert:Smile:

A 650 kettle I have one, will take about 8/10 minutes to boil ( a house hold kettle is 2000 watts).

Although you have two 180 amp batteries, (owing to the 50 % rule ie you should never discharge a leisure battery lower than half its stated amps otherwise you damage them), you therefore only have, for any length of time 180 amps,I hope that makes sense .

A 2000 watt inverter will in theory only drive 2000 watts, the buzzer sounds because you are over loading it (it will overheat and cut out, you will then be buggered and if you do it too many times you will knacker not only the inverter but your batteries as well.

You are going to have buy a 3kva genny.

Les:Wink:

5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I would not swear to it as I know sod all about your particular MH, but it sounds very much as if it has either been got at ( someone who never uses hook up perhaps ? ) or it was wired oddly from the get go..
    Never known any other van that has all the 240v sockets wired through an inverter.. VERY limiting I should think....

6. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Morning Mo. All my sockets are wired through the inverter. BUT there are two switches that I have to throw to switch the inverter on. Its a good chance there is at least one switch somewhere that you can switch the inverter off.
    This is what I have to do when using the inverter.
    1) Switch AES fridge to gas, otherwise fridge will sense 220 volts and run off inverter.
    2) Switch battery charger off, otherwise it will run off inverter, no such thing as perpetual motion.
    3) Flick switch in wardrobe.
    4) Flick switch in kitchen.
    Its a good chance your van has a factory wired inverter like mine has, thats why all the sockets are live.

7. SteveandDenise

SteveandDenise Funster

Sokets

We have the very same van and our sockets are not wired to any inverter they are to be used on hook up or genny only

Steve

• Like Like x 1
  8. old-mo

Morning Dave...

Going to try plugging into EHU, and not switch the red Waeco switch with red light on...

And plug some thing into a socket and see if the socket is live..

Got an idea that is one of the things I tried,,, but will check just in case..

Is there a way round the using the electric plugs with out going through the inverter... Other than the Waeco inverter switch I cant find another switch..

It`s a pain not being able to use the electric kettle and toaster,,, because of the overload.. especially on a site with decent amps.. :Sad:

9. old-mo

Hi,,,, thanks for that... I have never had one like it either..

That`s why I asked..... as you say VERY limiting..:Sad:

Thanks for your input... :thumb:

PS... I think I can see why it has all been put through the inverter.... it has three (3) very large solar panels, and I presume the previous owner did a lot of wild camping..

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  10. buttons

buttons Funster

I would get onto Rapido support and request a set of wiring diagrams, put your query to them.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

It would be a fairly simple rewire Mo.. Any one who can use a screwdriver and has any sort of electrical know how will be able to do it for you if you are not happy to diy mate

12. old-mo

Cheers John... :thumb:

No.... I`m useless at electrics.... so I will get some one to do it... :thumb:

13. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Don't know the technicalities.
    My mains sockets , normally fed by hook up are also connected to the inverter which is manually switched on when not on hook up . It is obviously limited to supply by inverter/battery capacity.

14. old-mo

I have just plugged the EHU in, and the monitor shows on EHU, and the batteries are being charged... :thumb:

I plug a tester into one of the sockets, and nothing... :Sad:

Switch the Waeco inverter on, and the red warning light comes on and power to the sockets... :RollEyes:

That is how it has always worked, since we have had it..

I thinks, I will switch the switches down on the consumer unit in the garage...

Switches all three off or down and checked inside....... still showing on monitor that I`m on EHU and battery`s are charging... Which to my mind the Consumer unit is doing diddly squat... :cry::Doh:

I have looked every where just in case as suggested there is another switch...

Time to find a man that can I think... :RollEyes:

15. movan

movan Funster Life Member

:Smile::Sad:Sorry, don't want to steal your thread Mo, but someone posted about it always having been on wild camping and hence the problem. Can you help this dumbo please?

Are you saying that at some point you MUST plug into hook up and wild camping all the time is not ok despite having a solar panel? Hook up isn't something I would normally pay for. Am I going to damage my wiring bits?

16. old-mo

I may be wrong, Joy... but on this last trip to Wales our 3 solar panels could not keep up with what we used... very little bright sun...

So we had to on a couple of occasions fire up the genny...

Possibly if Paul was not watching TV and playing on the computer, we may have got away with it, only using 1 X 12 volt TV and a couple of LED lights... but doubt it.. :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

It will be the inverter sucking the power, even if nothing is switched on. If you have an AES fridge and its left on auto as opposed to gas when the inverter is switched on the fridge will run on mains through the inverter, flattening the batteries.

18. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I think "got at" is the wrong phrase. This is absolute top of the range plus every available extra thrown on irrespective of cost - includes sat broadband, full air suspension, the works.

So not "got at" as in bodged.

19. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

No. If you use more electricity than you solar panel can provide then your battery goes flat, simple as that. You can then hook up or run the engine for a quick recharge.

JJ has wild camped for the last 237 years using solar.

20. old-mo

It`s probably me, Brian... not the brightest star in the universe...:RollEyes::Sad:

But with my little knowledge I have exhausted all avenues to sort this problem out...

So will have to leave it to the experts..

Does any one know of anywhere in the south/West that can fix the above mentioned problems,,,,, and also I want a "FULL" service before we head off abroad...

It had a service when we bought it.... but for peace of mind I still want a full blown service done..:thumb:

Thanks.