LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Our M/H has two 180 amp hour batterys...

Every thing that is electric, even the numerous power points, 240V on the fridge/freezer... etc runs through the Sine Wave 2000w inverter... :RollEyes:

How long would a 650 watt kettle take to boil approx. 1 litre of water.. ?

I`m not sure if the whole set up is set up right.. The ALDE wet central heating system works fantastic on gas.... and there is provision to put it through mains electric 1 - 2 or 3 Kilawats..

1 seems OK but 2 or 3 the inverter is struggling and on 3 a buzzer sounds... :Sad:

All the RV`s & M/Homes we have had in the past.... as soon as you plug into EHU it supply`s all the power points, and trickle charges the battery`s...... un hook and you loose power to the points..

We do have 3 large Solar panels, which are next to useless if cloudy or over cast...

Any suggestions, Please.. :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
not surprised it struggles Mo.

2000watts is 2kw....bang on the inverters limit and add any other lightish load and will put it over.
1kw = 50% load
2kw = 100% load
3kw....not a chance on a 2000w inverter.

if a standard 3kw kettle takes 3 minutes to boil, a 650w may take upwards of 15 minutes

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

tinkering

Free Member
Feb 25, 2009
dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1972
Old Mo,s sparks

I am not an expert:Smile:

A 650 kettle I have one, will take about 8/10 minutes to boil ( a house hold kettle is 2000 watts).

Although you have two 180 amp batteries, (owing to the 50 % rule ie you should never discharge a leisure battery lower than half its stated amps otherwise you damage them), you therefore only have, for any length of time 180 amps,I hope that makes sense .

A 2000 watt inverter will in theory only drive 2000 watts, the buzzer sounds because you are over loading it (it will overheat and cut out, you will then be buggered and if you do it too many times you will knacker not only the inverter but your batteries as well.

You are going to have buy a 3kva genny.

Les:winky:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I would not swear to it as I know sod all about your particular MH, but it sounds very much as if it has either been got at ( someone who never uses hook up perhaps ? ) or it was wired oddly from the get go..
Never known any other van that has all the 240v sockets wired through an inverter.. VERY limiting I should think....

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Morning Mo. All my sockets are wired through the inverter. BUT there are two switches that I have to throw to switch the inverter on. Its a good chance there is at least one switch somewhere that you can switch the inverter off.
This is what I have to do when using the inverter.
1) Switch AES fridge to gas, otherwise fridge will sense 220 volts and run off inverter.
2) Switch battery charger off, otherwise it will run off inverter, no such thing as perpetual motion.
3) Flick switch in wardrobe.
4) Flick switch in kitchen.
Its a good chance your van has a factory wired inverter like mine has, thats why all the sockets are live.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Sokets

I would not swear to it as I know sod all about your particular MH, but it sounds very much as if it has either been got at ( someone who never uses hook up perhaps ? ) or it was wired oddly from the get go..
Never known any other van that has all the 240v sockets wired through an inverter.. VERY limiting I should think....

We have the very same van and our sockets are not wired to any inverter they are to be used on hook up or genny only

Steve

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Morning Dave...

Going to try plugging into EHU, and not switch the red Waeco switch with red light on...

And plug some thing into a socket and see if the socket is live..

Got an idea that is one of the things I tried,,, but will check just in case..

Is there a way round the using the electric plugs with out going through the inverter... Other than the Waeco inverter switch I cant find another switch..

It`s a pain not being able to use the electric kettle and toaster,,, because of the overload.. especially on a site with decent amps.. :Sad:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
We have the very same van and our sockets are not wired to any inverter they are to be used on hook up or genny only

Steve

Hi,,,, thanks for that... I have never had one like it either..

That`s why I asked..... as you say VERY limiting..:Sad:

Thanks for your input... :thumb:

PS... I think I can see why it has all been put through the inverter.... it has three (3) very large solar panels, and I presume the previous owner did a lot of wild camping..

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It would be a fairly simple rewire Mo.. Any one who can use a screwdriver and has any sort of electrical know how will be able to do it for you if you are not happy to diy mate

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
It would be a fairly simple rewire Mo.. Any one who can use a screwdriver and has any sort of electrical know how will be able to do it for you if you are not happy to diy mate

Cheers John... :thumb:

No.... I`m useless at electrics.... so I will get some one to do it... :thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Don't know the technicalities.
My mains sockets , normally fed by hook up are also connected to the inverter which is manually switched on when not on hook up . It is obviously limited to supply by inverter/battery capacity.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
I have just plugged the EHU in, and the monitor shows on EHU, and the batteries are being charged... :thumb:

I plug a tester into one of the sockets, and nothing... :Sad:

Switch the Waeco inverter on, and the red warning light comes on and power to the sockets... :RollEyes:

That is how it has always worked, since we have had it..

I thinks, I will switch the switches down on the consumer unit in the garage...

Switches all three off or down and checked inside....... still showing on monitor that I`m on EHU and battery`s are charging... Which to my mind the Consumer unit is doing diddly squat... :cry::Doh:

I have looked every where just in case as suggested there is another switch...

Time to find a man that can I think... :RollEyes:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Smile::Sad:Sorry, don't want to steal your thread Mo, but someone posted about it always having been on wild camping and hence the problem. Can you help this dumbo please?

Are you saying that at some point you MUST plug into hook up and wild camping all the time is not ok despite having a solar panel? Hook up isn't something I would normally pay for. Am I going to damage my wiring bits?

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
:Smile::Sad:Sorry, don't want to steal your thread Mo, but someone posted about it always having been on wild camping and hence the problem. Can you help this dumbo please?

Are you saying that at some point you MUST plug into hook up and wild camping all the time is not ok despite having a solar panel? Hook up isn't something I would normally pay for. Am I going to damage my wiring bits?

I may be wrong, Joy... but on this last trip to Wales our 3 solar panels could not keep up with what we used... very little bright sun...

So we had to on a couple of occasions fire up the genny...

Possibly if Paul was not watching TV and playing on the computer, we may have got away with it, only using 1 X 12 volt TV and a couple of LED lights... but doubt it.. ::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I may be wrong, Joy... but on this last trip to Wales our 3 solar panels could not keep up with what we used... very little bright sun...

So we had to on a couple of occasions fire up the genny...

Possibly if Paul was not watching TV and playing on the computer, we may have got away with it, only using 1 X 12 volt TV and a couple of LED lights... but doubt it.. ::bigsmile:

It will be the inverter sucking the power, even if nothing is switched on. If you have an AES fridge and its left on auto as opposed to gas when the inverter is switched on the fridge will run on mains through the inverter, flattening the batteries.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I would not swear to it as I know sod all about your particular MH, but it sounds very much as if it has either been got at.

I think "got at" is the wrong phrase. This is absolute top of the range plus every available extra thrown on irrespective of cost - includes sat broadband, full air suspension, the works.

So not "got at" as in bodged.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Are you saying that at some point you MUST plug into hook up and wild camping all the time is not ok

No. If you use more electricity than you solar panel can provide then your battery goes flat, simple as that. You can then hook up or run the engine for a quick recharge.

JJ has wild camped for the last 237 years using solar.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
I think "got at" is the wrong phrase. This is absolute top of the range plus every available extra thrown on irrespective of cost - includes sat broadband, full air suspension, the works.

So not "got at" as in bodged.

It`s probably me, Brian... not the brightest star in the universe...:RollEyes::Sad:

But with my little knowledge I have exhausted all avenues to sort this problem out...

So will have to leave it to the experts..

Does any one know of anywhere in the south/West that can fix the above mentioned problems,,,,, and also I want a "FULL" service before we head off abroad...

It had a service when we bought it.... but for peace of mind I still want a full blown service done..:thumb:

Thanks.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Mo, The more I think about this the more I am convinced its a simple mains trip switch problem. The mains trip should be with the rest of the consumer trips but sometimes one is somewhere else. I have 3 trips on mine, 2 by the battery charger under the wardrobe and one in the garage.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It`s probably me, Brian..
Thanks.

If only we'd had this conversation a few days ago :Doh:

You say you tripped all the circuit breakers and it still said on EHU and all the sockets were live. That's really odd.

You may be right in saying the original owner had a target of wild camping and just enough 240V to run entertainment, under those special conditions diverting the 240V supply to the sockets to the inverter would make sense.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I dont think that your van has been "got at" I suspect that there is a simple solution.

As I explained previously my system has "power assist" so my appliances are in series with the inverter/charger.

If I :)Rofl1: I, We :RollEyes: try to use the hairdryer at the same time as everything else) the Waeco unit will recognise that the "demand"(hairdryer) is greater than the "supply" (hook up available)

In that instance the unit, which is a 100Amp multi stage battery charger, in addition to being a pure sine wave inverter, (which will run continuously at 2000w and peak for about 20 minutes at 3600w) switches from being a battery charger and reverts to an inverter.

So the "supply" is 10 amp and the "load" is 16amps the inverter/charger will invert to supply the missing "6amps" Once the temporary excess has passed, the unit will switch back to being a charger and replace the battery power that it has used making up the shortfall.

The unit also has the ability depending on installation to prioritise circuits. It may for example be beneficial in the short term to turn off some AC appliances to divert more power to a certain point.

I would track down the installers and if their worth their salt they'll be able to explain what they have done and why

Cheers

Eddie

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
It`s probably me, Brian... not the brightest star in the universe...:RollEyes::Sad:

But with my little knowledge I have exhausted all avenues to sort this problem out...

So will have to leave it to the experts..

Does any one know of anywhere in the south/West that can fix the above mentioned problems,,,,, and also I want a "FULL" service before we head off abroad...

It had a service when we bought it.... but for peace of mind I still want a full blown service done..:thumb:

Thanks.
Mo I am not sure if I have it correct....But I have one of the new Rapido's...and ours only has 2 110ah batteries with 1 solar 120w panel....NO INVERTER...NO INVERTER fitted from Rapido.....so that must have been done by another body....we have the same problem running out of battery power when not on hook...so sometimes we have to put the genny on NOT many times and it is usually late and early season like now.. we also have Alde heating...and we find over here in Europe many of the small sites Aires and winter sites only a low amp ehup...6amp some may have 10amp and not many have 16amp....and also many of the French want to spaghetti junction you even though you have only a 6 amp socket :Doh::Doh:....
So we find the electric 1..2...3 on the Alde...1kw is just background heating and you may need to boooost with the gas to get it warm first it takes anything from a hour to an hour and half to warm the rads....and not many times can you use the 2 and 3 settings over here
All our electric sockets runs off the 220v 230v electric hookup or our genny..and the 12v runs off the batteries that are charged from either solar or the charger on EHUP..
We contacted Rapido to ask why we was showing such a low charge reading from 12.5 to 12.8 to 13a.....when most other people was getting 14 to 14.5....I was told by Rapido who fitted the panels Mine was reading correctly....also I struggle with not many items on batteries seem to be going down very quickly....but all seem correct...I have since put a volt meter straight onto the batteries though a fuse and I now go by that and I take the reading on read out above the door as what is coming in not what is in the batteries.

John and Brian I think are correct you are asking too much...
I only use small inverters for charging 75w for my shaver...laptops and pads...
I run as much off there own batteries then charge.
Maybe I am on the wrong track..
Plus you will have a few extra toys than mine in the 12v dept many I find is not needed.

MO there is one problem we found ...the switch's at the door entrance...4 of them..kept getting switched on by accident...the outside light from Rapido had ..20w:Doh: ..bulbs in NOT LED .....and we could see our battery going down as we had left them on after coming when dark or left on by accident.or left on all night :Eeek::Doh:.I removed them and fitted 4 x 0.8 to 1.0w LED what a difference ...check those.

Last edited:
OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Mo I am not sure if I have it correct....But I have one of the new Rapido's...and ours only has 2 110ah batteries with 1 solar 120w panel....NO INVERTER...NO INVERTER fitted from Rapido.....so that must have been done by another body....we have the same problem running out of battery power when not on hook...so sometimes we have to put the genny on NOT many times and it is usually late and early season like now.. we also have Alde heating...and we find over here in Europe many of the small sites Aires and winter sites only a low amp ehup...6amp some may have 10amp and not many have 16amp....and also many of the French want to spaghetti junction you even though you have only a 6 amp socket :Doh::Doh:....
So we find the electric 1..2...3 on the Alde...1kw is just background heating and you may need to boooost with the gas to get it warm first it takes anything from a hour to an hour and half to warm the rads....and not many times can you use the 2 and 3 settings over here
All our electric sockets runs off the 220v 230v electric hookup or our genny..and the 12v runs off the batteries that are charged from either solar or the charger on EHUP..
We contacted Rapido to ask why we was showing such a low charge reading from 12.5 to 12.8 to 13a.....when most other people was getting 14 to 14.5....I was told by Rapido who fitted the panels Mine was reading correctly....also I struggle with not many items on batteries seem to be going down very quickly....but all seem correct...I have since put a volt meter straight onto the batteries though a fuse and I now go by that and I take the reading on read out above the door as what is coming in not what is in the batteries.

John and Brian I think are correct you are asking too much...
I only use small inverters for charging 75w for my shaver...laptops and pads...
I run as much off there own batteries then charge.
Maybe I am on the wrong track..
Plus you will have a few extra toys than mine in the 12v dept many I find is not needed.

MO there is one problem we found ...the switch's at the door entrance...4 of them..kept getting switched on by accident...the outside light from Rapido had ..20w:Doh: ..bulbs in NOT LED .....and we could see our battery going down as we had left them on after coming when dark or left on by accident.or left on all night :Eeek::Doh:.I removed them and fitted 4 x 0.8 to 1.0w LED what a difference ...check those.

Thanks for that Mel...

That's what is bugging me, not being able to use Site EHU to the full... even when I know the batteries are full..

And as said previously,,,,, the consumer unit with the two switches and a master with a trip check.... don't seem to do a thing... when switched on or off,,,, all power points still work through the invertor and with the consumer unit switched off... the battery is showing as being charged and I have the icon of being hooked up to mains..

Another little poser... :RollEyes: I have just plugged the "Gennie" in, and it shows on the panel as being on EHU... "BUT" it does not show the battery charging icons...

Plug mains from the house back in and the Battery charging icons come on... work that out.. :Sad:

Unless it`s an automatic switchover device or there is a hidden switch some where... I have exhausted all avenue`s to find hidden switch..
:cry:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
I dont think that your van has been "got at" I suspect that there is a simple solution.

As I explained previously my system has "power assist" so my appliances are in series with the inverter/charger.

If I :)Rofl1: I, We :RollEyes: try to use the hairdryer at the same time as everything else) the Waeco unit will recognise that the "demand"(hairdryer) is greater than the "supply" (hook up available)

In that instance the unit, which is a 100Amp multi stage battery charger, in addition to being a pure sine wave inverter, (which will run continuously at 2000w and peak for about 20 minutes at 3600w) switches from being a battery charger and reverts to an inverter.

So the "supply" is 10 amp and the "load" is 16amps the inverter/charger will invert to supply the missing "6amps" Once the temporary excess has passed, the unit will switch back to being a charger and replace the battery power that it has used making up the shortfall.

The unit also has the ability depending on installation to prioritise circuits. It may for example be beneficial in the short term to turn off some AC appliances to divert more power to a certain point.

I would track down the installers and if their worth their salt they'll be able to explain what they have done and why

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks Eddie..:thumb:

Would this be sortable by you... ?

And do you do full services...

On both the problem and the service... I cant go back to the dealer, as every thing works,,, but not to my way of thinking... and they did do a full service, and as said I want one for peace of mind... I could go back, but it`s heck of a trek to have some thing put to right that is right to the way it was installed, if you get my drift... :RollEyes:

Thanks.:thumb:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Thanks Eddie..:thumb:

Would this be sortable by you... ?

And do you do full services...

Hi Mo

Anything is sortable:winky: And we do specialise in motorhome electrical installations, especially more complex systems like this.

We don't touch servicing at all, too dirty and oily for our liking:ROFLMAO:

The only problem we have is time, as we talk we couldn't change a light bulb until about the third week in November.

You have, from the sounds of it a good sophisticated system but there is just either something slightly wrong, or your doing it wrong.

I would happily spend half an hour or so, FOC, walking over the system with you to see "what's what" if you feel that that would help

Eddie

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Thanks for that Eddie... :thumb:

Your only an hour or so up the motorway from me...

If you can give me a time and date to put it through your work shop... and I`ll fall in line with you... no hurry anytime...

Do you know of any Fiat recognised work shops in this area...

I only know of "Essanjay" at Poole.... and if I have to leave it, it`s a bit of a drag..

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Sounds a bit like my system except my inverter only powers the sockets, not the fridge and heater/water heater. I have 4 solar panels but would not expect to be self sufficient in lecky in Wales, though fine in the summer in France/Spain.
There should be a way of switching over when ehu is available. In my case I usually do it manually though it can be set to do it automatically. The reason for doing it manually is because once when it was set to do it automatically there was a power cut and I was running a fan heater, which wouldn't have done my batteries much good if it had continued.
The difference is, I did my system myself so I know how it works.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Thanks for that Mel...

That's what is bugging me, not being able to use Site EHU to the full... even when I know the batteries are full..

And as said previously,,,,, the consumer unit with the two switches and a master with a trip check.... don't seem to do a thing... when switched on or off,,,, all power points still work through the invertor and with the consumer unit switched off... the battery is showing as being charged and I have the icon of being hooked up to mains..

Another little poser... :RollEyes: I have just plugged the "Gennie" in, and it shows on the panel as being on EHU... "BUT" it does not show the battery charging icons...

Plug mains from the house back in and the Battery charging icons come on... work that out.. :Sad:

Unless it`s an automatic switchover device or there is a hidden switch some where... I have exhausted all avenue`s to find hidden switch..
:cry:

Mo on this ( Plug mains from the house back in and the Battery charging icons come on ) mine does the same...mine also shows the electric icon connection plus 5 digits and 13amp and battery fully charged..

Now when I plug the gennie in......I think it does exactly the same as ehup..show's electric icon connection and fully charged with the 5 digits and 13amp battery fully charged....BUT as I do not use the genny that often I can not be 100% and neither can madam the missus...

Also on our's when there is not enough lecky say on 6amp, say you are using other items and you are on the limit...our fridge clicks to gas...so you know when the electric power is on it's limit as you keep hearing the fridge clicking to ignite the gas until it lights and working on gas...

Also Mo when on 16amp electric hookup....the Alde is set at 3kw its great...and on Gas is also great...but when the heating is set on 1kw setting is mainly hot water, and when set on 2kw is background heating ...
(i said 1kw was background heating when I should have said 2kw in my first reply sorry)

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back