Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
cv.jpg Another pic of the same bike, minus fairing.

OP
OP
Enword

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Ok a little info Hillclimb for the championship you have 2 practice run's & then 2 timed runs that count for points simple, If you get red flagged because someone has crashed (maybe 2 or more bikes on the hill at one time) you go back down & have another run. So back in the 90s we are at Prescott Hillclimb, we've (I have) chucked it at the scenery in the first practice so we are on the back foot, only one practice. lining up for our run & getting closer to the start line, I notice a Rider in the vintage solo class cant start his bike One Stu Stoppard now Stu was quite capable of chucking it at the scenery! We get to the start line just about to be chocked up & Stu pulls up alongside bike now running & asked if he could jump in our place, normally I'd say no! I'm ready to go, heads in the right place etc etc, But I said fine jump in Stuart, My passenger who knew me all to well pushed us back lifted his visor & said "you bar steward" & laughed. you see I'd thought if he's wound up he might crash & we would get a red flag & another run, as soon as he'd gone off, we lined up as fast as possible, the light changed off we went, just as we are exiting the second to last corner, Red flag Oh no we are going to have another run:rolleyes: Ps Stu didn't crash he forgot to turn on the fuel tap.

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
View attachment 134715 Another pic of the same bike, minus fairing.
I that a A65 bsa engine-lovely looking bike!Used to watch the bikes in the late "60"s at Malory my favourite was "sideways sid "on the BMW until he piled up big time at the hairpin-they took no prisioners then!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Enword

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
A rough & ready solution

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
dmu-340-fd-m1-jpg-data.jpg

The guy that runs this at work reckons the inside is bigger than his living room.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I that a A65 bsa engine-lovely looking bike!Used to watch the bikes in the late "60"s at Malory my favourite was "sideways sid "on the BMW until he piled up big time at the hairpin-they took no prisioners then!

Do you mean Fritz Scheiddegger? If so i was there that day as well. Unfortunately he was killed and passenger John Robinson seriously injured.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Just read this thread, does anyone remember Pip Harris. He had a garage in our village and when we wandered past we would often see his bike in the garage.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
The foot print is probably bigger than my workshop :ROFLMAO:

Its bigger than mine as well.. the temperature soak room here is bigger than mine.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Looks like a Large CNC Machining Center
Can do work like this

It could , but not easily , stuff like that is much easier on smaller 5 axis machines. To be fair , the CAM software now is that good, its deskilled the job,i know guys that can program , but cant work a machine lol, but when you watch how they do it , an old school guy would be ploughing material off for fun with a big cutter , which the new guys would be using a 10mm ballnose for , with a gazillion passes.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I was watching a yank on youtube the other day, and he was saying that we can't beat the chinese on labour rates, we have to beat them by working smarter, and one way with machinery was by taking as few cuts as possible. Made sense to me, when I was on bonus we had the speed and feeds whacked right up, especially with brass and cast iron.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Just read this thread, does anyone remember Pip Harris. He had a garage in our village and when we wandered past we would often see his bike in the garage.

Pip was probably the first British driver to campaign a RH Rennsport BMW outfit. Always immaculately turned out but usually the first of the rest behind the likes of Max Deubel on the works BMW.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
BTW when I say RH outfit, I mean right hand drive, ie bike on right, chair on left. Deubel really used to struggle at Mallory with the chair on the right and the long right hand Gerrards and the hairpin.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Yes, I used to come home with nylon shirt and socks looking like the moths had been at them.

Ever use a chipstream box dave? Link Removed you could get a continuous length of swarf coming off yards long with EN8, snaking about on the floor. One of the amusements us apprentices got up to, who could get the longest length of swarf. :D

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Health and safety go nuts at stuff like that now, everything has a proper chip breaker built in, much safer and you dont lose time having to try and clear the machine all the time.

OP
OP
Enword

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
The stuff we did years ago!! we had at work a large Wolf drill (similar to the one in the Photo But morse taper ) it was 2 man job really but some time's you would use it on your own with a 3ft piece of tube pushed over the handleo_O if you got it wrong & the tube flew off with a large drill bit it would spin you over & slap you on the ground:whistle:

MINI1LC55DSOS-large.jpg

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I was using on of them at Manganese when the bit grabbed, tore out of my hands and wound the lead around itself until it tore it in two.:)

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Do you mean Fritz Scheiddegger? If so i was there that day as well. Unfortunately he was killed and passenger John Robinson seriously injured.
Yes me and a couple of mates were there-think his front brake snapped on aproach to hairpin.

OP
OP
Enword

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Just in case your missing the capstan @olley, Some pegs I had to tap 10mm :xThumb: CNC has not got to Devon yet :xrofl:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
That brings back some memories, :)
made similar things like that, but would have had a 10' ? length of bar, so as you undid the collets it slid through onto a stop on the capstan, and when your done part it off, and then repeat 500 times.:xblink:

I hope your testing them with go and not go gauges.:xgrin:

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I used to marshal mainly at Snetterton in the sixties, became friends with some of the sidecar racers, Pat Millard always used to borrow our mallet to drive in his tent pegs, we helped Camathias working on his outfit before racing commenced, Chris Vincent, Colin Seeley, Terry Widdecombe and Pip Harris were all regulars in those days, we would camp in our tent in the paddock alongside them regularly. Happy. days. The mixed aroma of Castrol R and frying bacon is still one of my favourites.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back