Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Haha No 170, after 20 plus year's BSB couldn't count above 99 so we had to change to 17:mad:
1876_1026677620711976_6693627643023769509_n.jpg
12794766_1023337717712633_610544858208711728_o.jpg

OP
OP
Enword

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Not an action shot but one of my favorite Photos, But not my favorite bit, Waiting (Assen) to go out the worst bit for me always!

10619978_775599319153142_170466815656269519_o.jpg

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
We run an open class, so no need for that, luckily.

The second season we did in Germany, they altered the rules on licensing, so even though I was riding the National Class, if we did well enough , we could run the International Class races in the main program on sunday afternoon , like the locals could. We had Swiss , Austrian and Dutch guys to , so usually 8 of us got to run with the 25 International guys for 2 races. We got 25eu for each race start money, from a 70eu entry fee, so raced 4 times for 20eu, plus an hour of practice and qualifying.. however , the first time , we were on a ferry at 10pm, and had a 5 hour drive to Dunkirk, the race finished at 4.48PM and I was on the road out at 4.52, which included getting out of my leathers.. we made the boat , thanks to clear roads and no speed limits, but it was close.. missing the 10pm would have been a mare as the next boat wasn't till 2am.

I managed points in the IDSM twice, both in the wet , but had some great races, but the level is so high, that being a hobby racer, only seeing the bike the day before and zero testing made it a tough job, and my sponsor was feeling the pressure too.. and at the end of 2013 we got an entry into the U40 cup, which is riders over 40.. 57 riders registered , and we manage to run with the front guys , with the odd win for good measure. Its a hard schedule, and I don't have to prep a bike, I dread to think how much work you do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Enword

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
That was good value racing, As you move up the competition gets so tough especially when your 60:whistle: At Anglesey a few year's back I think we'd qualified 10th & in parc ferme there was a lot of banter at my expense that I was the oldest driver there that weekend, not being that quick witted I just laughed it was all good natured, the paddock manger came to send us on our way & asked "they taking the piss out of you? even them back there?" Oh yes say's I "Don't know why he's in front of you on the grid" he said, Now why couldn't I have thought of that quip:rolleyes:

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Not an action shot but one of my favorite Photos, But not my favorite bit, Waiting (Assen) to go out the worst bit for me always!

10619978_775599319153142_170466815656269519_o.jpg

The block paving gave it away. I dont get nervous to be honest, have my routine, just get pissed off with people trying to rush me.. everything runs to time, when they say the holding area closes at 11.55, you get there at 11.53 . at 11.40 i wont even have my leathers on lol, i'll just get ready, and as soon as my boots are done up , the helmet goes on, and thats it.

As soon as the helmet goes on , im in the zone, and thats it. Folk who have never done it will never get the buzz, and why you cant stop. I have met some great folk, travelled the world , and still keep going back for more,because sundays are for racing, not piddling about in garden centres.

OP
OP
Enword

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Do you have to put your kit on in a specific order???? I dont get nervous at British like that but once I'm in the bike I want to go, May sound dumb but I get really nervous if we do a club round feel the pressure is on to win then, old & ugly enough to know I cant at the British I spose.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Do you have to put your kit on in a specific order???? I dont get nervous at British like that but once I'm in the bike I want to go, May sound dumb but I get really nervous if we do a club round feel the pressure is on to win then, old & ugly enough to know I cant at the British I spose.
i thought getting dressed kind of sorted itself out.
Im not OCD , just have everything ready and in its place, in my dreams i miss loads of races cos i cant find a boot.

Have to have 4 pairs of goggles ready to go though, but thats just being organised.

I dont do any clubby stuff, there isnt any here at all , one club calls itself 'British Championship' , and i have been there and done it , when i was fast, and 2 seconds off pole was called non qualifiers... 2 secs off now and you can still be on front row lol.

I was lucky enough to be reasonably good, but not, good enough to ever think it would lead anywhere, but have made a career out of pushing mediocrity.. won a few things along the way, and had some good sponsors who enjoy it for what it should be .. which is fun.

OP
OP
Enword

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
No sure I'm OCD:D But Mrs D laughed when I said I'm not superstitious about racing, then went on to describe my routine when getting ready, Leather's on left leg in first, pull up left leg, put on left boot, then right leg & boot, back protector, put in left arm then right,zip up, Then helmet after being fussy over the visor, then left glove followed by the right, She said it is always the same ( the left is always first) I hadn't noticed, so the next time I put my right boot on first!!! that'll show her:sneaky: Nope it wernt right :rofl: Just a routine that I do.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
thing is, it has to go on in the right order, else you cant get it on. Its not OCD, its just the fact that you cant bend down to do up your boots with a full back protector on, and you dont want to be walking round barefoot either.

After 10 years of riding a bike with no fuel tap, i do check it about a gazzilion times now im back on a 2T .

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Meanwhile.. in the office20161122_212732.jpg

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Is that your own picture. I went to Cadwell in 70 to watch my dad race, but this is earlier than that, maybe 1950's even

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
What a lovely thread this is,embracing all the stuff that us long term bikers love,helpful,interesting and no bickering,keep it going chaps!
Who invited you ?? :giggle:

I'll get my coat.... which I will put on after my helmet , but before my gloves :LOL:

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
no leaves, miserable weather so it must be Easter Monday. checked a few programmes and number 34 Easter Monday 1961 was D A Jennings of BAV Vincent famer from Colchester. The outfit behind looks like 132, which would be S Evans on another Vincent. can' be much earlier or the outfits would not be so low-slung and can't be much later or the tower would be in the photo.....

From alex hodgkinson.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
At £140 a pair I should hope so... I have some neoprene ones that a wear in the wet , you just have to remember to slide on your elbows.

Can't be a lot of good if they wear in the wet, must be a chinese neoprene. :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
Enword

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Got to be some racer's/ex racer's/Fan's with some stories/(Fun),Photo's out there, I have some I cant put in print:p

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Got to be some racer's/ex racer's/Fan's with some stories/(Fun),Photo's out there, I have some I cant put in print:p

Most of ours involve drink and women.. one road trip in the US resulted in a mate of mine hooking up with a rather tasty South American girl for the trip, who after standing him up on the Friday night dinner date, came round first thing Saturday to apologise, saying she didn't come because she had to get married.....

We spent 10 days out there, all of which were crazy, on day 5 we were in a parts dealers in LA ( Pro Circuit) My mate was buying a load of stuff , but all of his cards were declined, apart from one , which his wife didn't know about. Turns out he never told her he was coming , he just left for work in the morning and came with us.. in Monterrey , after the WSB round , we were all playing touch rugby on the beach in the dark, and then when we came back up everywhere was shut, we were stood round drinking (as you do) .. only for 3 cop cars to pull up and try and arrest us for drinking in the street.. Luckily Neil Hodgson was with us , and one of the cops recognized him, which meant we got a police taxi ride back to the hotel, and not to the cells.

Then there was the time at Mettet, when the same guy who left and said nowt , turned up in the Café du Circuit at 11pm, and did a 'last orders' burnout that filled the place with smoke that took over an hour to clear ..

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Come a long way since this shot at CadwellView attachment 134540

Chris Vincent sold this outfit to Charlie (Chic) Jones about 1966, was his passenger twice, once at Brands and once at the Palace, it had a very high sidecar platform.

Courtesy of Peter Rutterford..on FB

So in a day , not only do we now know the who and the when, we also have a guy that actually raced on that outfit telling us what it was, all from 'an unknown pic' in a box , that wasnt even posted on a racing forum.. i love the internet,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back