House Price Negotiations (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We're currently in a very nice villa on a trial run with a view to buying it. We love it and want to put in an offer tmrw.

But, we've discovered a legal problem which makes the house slightly less valuable. Some may ignore it but we're trying to keep our nose clean. It's not important what the problem is.

So, do we put in a low offer and explain the legal thing made us bid low. Or just put same bid in and mention the problem when he comes up with a counter offer.

Don't want to insult him with a daft offer. But maybe good to keep something up our sleeve.

What say the Funster brains?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I'd go lower and don't worry about insulting him I'm sure he's been insulted before and lived and if you then make a better offer hell think he's beat you.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I go lower and explain why; in case, if you don't explain why, he doesn't come back to you having been insulted by your very low offer and won't speak to you again!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Is it being sold because of the,"Minor" legal problem ? Our first house here in Portugal,had a "Minor" legal problem,that some of the houses here do,in that it had a building on it that had not had planning permission. it was a ...Bungalow... with a garage door at the roadside end. We declared it as "Garage/storage",took the measurements and sent them in,these were passed and it cost very little.(Portugal remember)
If the property is in England/Britain,i don't think any,"Minor" problem is an easy fix,so i would seek proper advice before parting with our hard earnt. You do hjave a very strong bargaining position. Best of Luck.
Tea Bag

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
At the moment one of my sons is trying to buy his first home and has found that, where we live, houses are selling quickly at the asking price.

He's viewing another on Tuesday, looks good - if it is he will offer asking price

You have to decide how important the new house (home) to you....

Good luck, whatever you decide

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Depends on the demand for the property...

We put our house on the market. We had 3 viewings on the same day. One couple bid 10 under the asking. Two hours later we had a full asking price offer and accepted it.

Couple number 1 were gutted and offered us 5 K over the asking to secure it. But we don't play those games.

If a house is sat for ages then bid low. If it's new to the market and it's what you want don't arse around. If you really want it and can afford it then why risk loosing it.

Yorric are you abroad ? If so the questions and relevant advice could be entirely different to here in the UK.

The market is raging round here just now with property selling in days not weeks. Some are removing property from the market and putting it back on after a month or so at 15 to 20 percent more than previously asked. Mad or what !

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Keep a very wary eye on ANY PROPERTY in Spain, minor legal problems might mean built without entitlement and that could be a bulldozer driving through the house in a month AFTER you buy it.. Have an honest lawyer???? look at it BEFORE you make any moves at all, you would not be the first to lose all there.

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Keep a very wary eye on ANY PROPERTY in Spain, minor legal problems might mean built without entitlement and that could be a bulldozer driving through the house in a month AFTER you buy it.. Have an honest lawyer???? look at it BEFORE you make any moves at all, you would not be the first to lose all there.
Our lawyer is shit hot. There's no problem with legality of the house. Sorry to keep the problem quiet.

Just want to know when to play our trump card.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I go lower and explain why; in case, if you don't explain why, he doesn't come back to you having been insulted by your very low offer and won't speak to you again!

Agree with that.... Explain why the low offer or the vendor might think you are taking deeeeeeee peeeeeess . That was me speaking Spanish by the way (y)(y)

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Depends on the demand for the property...

We put our house on the market. We had 3 viewings on the same day. One couple bid 10 under the asking. Two hours later we had a full asking price offer and accepted it.

Couple number 1 were gutted and offered us 5 K over the asking to secure it. But we don't play those games.

If a house is sat for ages then bid low. If it's new to the market and it's what you want don't arse around. If you really want it and can afford it then why risk loosing it.

Yorric are you abroad ? If so the questions and relevant advice could be entirely different to here in the UK.

The market is raging round here just now with property selling in days not weeks. Some are removing property from the market and putting it back on after a month or so at 15 to 20 percent more than previously asked. Mad or what !
We're in Lanzarote.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
If it was me I would ask your lawyer how small is the legal problem

Good luck hope you get it at the right price

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
If it was me I would ask your lawyer how small is the legal problem

Good luck hope you get it at the right price
Thanks. The problem is really quite small. Just a negotiating tool.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
always offer low anyway . specialy abroad . most of the properties are way over priced in the beginning .
cvertainly many uk folk paid far too much and value property way too high.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Legal problem abroad? I would be loathe to buy. It is amazing the number of people whose perfect English disappears after a sale has been made. There have been tv series about buying dodgy property abroad and I assume no one on here is qualified in buying property abroad. Get them to sort it then negotiate. I have known sellers to walk away when offered a derisory bid (not me) even when the prospective buyer has returned with a full offer. Presumably you were willing to offer something near the price if you went to view.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If the small legal problem concerns the sellers solvency - take care as below value sales by bankrupts may be challenged at a later date

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
If the small legal problem concerns the sellers solvency - take care as below value sales by bankrupts may be challenged at a later date
The problem is actually no biggie. Just really want to know when to play our trump card.

The seller is in UK so won't know the problem, yet.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What about holding a retention and once the problem is sorted you pay the balance, or is it possible to get indemnity insurance against the problem.

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
What about holding a retention and once the problem is sorted you pay the balance, or is it possible to get indemnity insurance against the problem.
It can't be fixed, but we can live with it, just a bargaining tool.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I'm intrigued now.

Go and make your offer tomorrow, but don't keep us in the dark forever I beg of you! LOL

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I'm intrigued now.

Go and make your offer tomorrow, but don't keep us in the dark forever I beg of you! LOL
Sorry, it would have been the same if we'd found a problem with the pool that he didn't know about.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
He can only say no, go low and hold for a bit, unless your desperate for it, then if he says no give him what he wants.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Once offered the asking price for a property in Mallorca to be refused.........

"We want more"... but don't know how much....... British sellers !

....bankers............(polite term) ............. rhyming slang

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
We're currently in a very nice villa on a trial run with a view to buying it. We love it and want to put in an offer tmrw.

But, we've discovered a legal problem which makes the house slightly less valuable
Think you already know what you want to do(y)
Good luck with your purchase.

?

Deleted User
So have you found her then?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread