Hose Pipe

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by The Old Man, May 19, 2016.

1. The Old Man

The Old Man Funster

Do you carry a length of hosepipe and an assortment of fittings with you?

I ask because I needed to fill my water tank whilst on a 'farmer's field' type of campsite, all of the facilities were there including a lot of standpipes around the field. However only one had a length of hose fitted and therefore the only one I could use.

It occured to me that my own hosepipe would have been very useful.

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We do carry a hose but rarely use it, normally only if we need to top up on arrival. We also have an aquaroll which we use for any top-ups needed whilst staying somewhere (using a submersible pump) rather than drive close enough to a stand pipe.

3. big map

big map Funster Life Member

We carry both a hose a massive range of fitting. Asda have got something called a X hose in at the moment. Hubby bought one of those the other day and was impressed when he coiled it back up and it went back in the box. 100ft for about £50 but there was a free gift with it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Treeeev

Treeeev Funster

I always use my own hose (as I know where it has been), rather than use a hose that I have no idea of how clean it is, or what it has been used for. I also carry a water container and submersible pump to use for topping up if I don't want to move the van.

Cheers

Trevor

• Like Like x 2
  5. travelling wilbury

travelling wilbury Funster

we carry two hoses, a joiner piece and an array of fittings for just about all taps....virtually always close enough to a tap to fill without recourse to other aids, although i do keep a 10ltr container for 'emergencies'...

6. icantremember

icantremember Funster

We carry a 20m flat through feed hose + a 20m flat hose (both rarely used) + a short 3m length together with a box of every possible hozelock type fitting.
    However, apart from the initial fill-up on site the most usefull thing we carry is a 10L garden water can.

7. nelly

nelly Funster

We also carry a watering can which is very useful for filling from a tap
    Neil

• Like Like x 1
  8. mpdcymru

mpdcymru Funster

Own hose and variety of fittings for us. Like Trevor above, we like to know where the hose has been!

9. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i do carry a hose and fittings but really cant remember the last time i used it . possibly find its split if and when i do need it . like others a watering can or a ten or 20 litre container works for most instances .
    bit like ehu lead never used it . bought solar and have never looked back.

10. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I never use any hose I find attached to taps on site .... I have seen too many misused to flush cassettes and by dogs cocking their legs!:eek:

• Like Like x 2
  11. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  12. wingman

wingman Funster

@The Old Man . Like Travelling Wilbury and others above, I carry various lengths of hose. The main one that I use now is the expandable type. It curls up into a small bag and takes up little space and weight. However, when the hose is 'charged' it's over 50' long! Great piece of kit. It also has a cut-off valve at the end, so no more scarpering back to the tap when the waterfall starts! I also carry a cassette type, but haven't used it for ages because you have to evacuate the water from it prior to winding it back into the cassette.

Yep, like others, a vast range of connectors and adaptors too. I have used them all!

In addition, I carry a 20litre food grade plastic can with a flexible long spout for when I'm too lazy to move the van to the water source :D

13. Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK Funster

Having only just done our first trip, I would say make sure you have a screw on male hozelock connector to fit to a tap with threaded outlet as part of your various connectors suggested (and possibly an extra spare - will explain.)

Our motorhome dealer threw in a starter kit which proved very useful with a flat hose in a cassette with two connectors (hozelock female and rubber tighten up type for traditional tap.)

When we arrived at the New Forrest site we went to fill up with water plugged in using hozelock connector and thought no more.

Next time we needed more water went back to tap and no plastic male hozelock connector just the thread on the end of the tap waiting to have mine screwed on to it (which sadly I did not have.) Much to my wife's amusement I got thoroughly soaked trying to use the rubber connector to push on to end of tap which was far to big.

It sounds like some sites have a hose but this may not be the only site with limited water equipment so I would say moral of story have two connectors as plainly some one had left theirs behind on the tap and driven off so I now keep a spare in the glove box.

Thankfully at another tap I found a kind motorhome family that lent me their screw on connector so we could fill up.

Paul

14. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

3 pieces of hose that join together if required plus various fittings

15. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Our selection, the roll flat one only been used twice in the last eight years, 3m & 7m always in use. Do also have 2 x 20Lt containers and submersible pump not for filling but to carry extra water as we only have a 100Lt tank.
    Hoses collection.jpg

16. The Old Man

The Old Man Funster

Thanks for the useful replies and sorry I missed the previous threads.

17. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

On a Scottish campsite a few years back the only tap had a square nozzle. I later emailed them and asked if they could suggest an appropriate fitting for my next visit. Their response was to change the tap. Result :).

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Tootles

Tootles Funster

We carry one of these. Very versatile, (very compact), and sits nicely into the side locker (y)

Hozelock Pico Reel.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Eddystone

Eddystone Funster

That's my take too.
    I don't have space for much else. We always carry a couple of 2ltr milk bottles for drinking water and have used these to top up if desperate.
    It is easier to store a hose than a watering can when you don't have a garage.

Brian

20. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

We carry a long hose on a reel. Also have an aqua roll and pump.