wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I use all the lanes under take, over take, tail gate speed at a great rate of knots cos I can:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:I`m a white van man

OP
OP
S

Shuggy68

Banned
Apr 25, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
i year
UU

I use all the lanes under take, over take, tail gate speed at a great rate of knots cos I can:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:I`m a white van man
(.)(.) :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Its time they stopped people hogging the middle lane as I have to travel in the outside one all the time to pass them all:Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
Let's restrict all vehicles to 56 .... and most of problems above go away!

My Sprinter is capable of 90+ but happy to sit amongst the truckers and enjoy the journey. 56, actually 60 ish on the speedo does not actually lengthen even a long journey by very much at all and saves a fortune in fuel ... hence the haulage companies fit limiters :thumb:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thinking about it, that will make the problems much, much worse. Bad enough with a couple of vehicles with slightly differing speeds overtaking each other and the "train effect" of speed limited vehicles - currently HGV and some vans (56/70). Just imagine the chaos if every vehicle had a speed limiter of 56........ in theory a reasonable idea, but in practice there would be an incredible amount of tailgating causing accidents, no matter what the law says about it. Tailgate cameras - the next big government moneyspinner.

Things that wind people up on the roads:

1) Mr Trilby Hatt in his Honda Jazz in the middle lane at HGV speed
2) The above driving at less than HGV speed in the inside lane
3) Tailgaters
4) Mr Trilby Hatt in his Honda Jazz driving at 38 MPH everywhere including 30 limits and past schools
5) Foreign register trucks that just pull out, ignoring blind spots (have to say that most are OK)
6) People who do not use the slip road to accelerate to traffic speed
7) The same people who do not look and see where the suitable gaps are
8) Aggregate lorries that spill stones, shattering your windscreen - happened twice and failed to get number each time as going other way
9) Aggressive undertakers in heavy traffic, weaving from lane to lane
10) People who zoom up the outside at roadworks, barging into the single lane at the last second - I love HGV drivers who pull out a bit to stop them doing this

There are more but that is my top 10. If they could enforce even half of the above then the roads would be a better place. Note I did not include speed limited trucks overtaking each other, since this is merely frustrating and truckers have a job to do and usually some unreasonable schedules - all explained in earlier posts

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Own up.... Who hit the submit button too soon? :winky:

Can guess the rest of the post though and thanks for pointing it out:thumb:
Yes I did hit the submit button too early, I was in a hurry to get out and do some tailgating and hogging while its still legal
Eric :ROFLMAO:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have issues with cars with white trilby sun hats on the rear shelf.

What is that all about?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think it must be some form of fashion statement.

"Oh hang on, just need to put my stupid white trilby on the rear shelf":Doh:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

For trilby users, can you think of a better place to keep it without getting squashed.:winky:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We use Panama hats (made in Ecuador.......) here in the sunny East of England - trilby hats are just so 20th century:winky:

....and they are squashable! I sit on mine.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now

I have a fun sticker on my back window--

Does this mean i am excused for any cock up i make :thumb:

Driving 30 years ago was good fun, now it`s a chore with a recipe for a heart attack.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
No, Motorhomers wear Tilley hats and very comfortable to wear they are, even if expensive:Cool:

i sit on mine as im driving save me stopping for a c**p :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
What do you think the Panama hat was for. I must own up and admit that both Dawn and I have Tilley hats and they are simply first class, if not that cool........

I use mine for sailing and although it makes me look utterly gormless, it does keep the sun, rain and spray off. The only hat I have ever used for dinghy sailing that does not get knocked off by the boom when tacking

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
What do you think the Panama hat was for. I must own up and admit that both Dawn and I have Tilley hats and they are simply first class, if not that cool........

I use mine for sailing and although it makes me look utterly gormless, [HI]it does keep the sun, rain and spray off[/HI]. The only hat I have ever used for dinghy sailing that does not get knocked off by the boom when tacking
Isn't that what hair is for:winky:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

I use mine for sailing and although it makes me look utterly gormless, it does keep the sun, rain and spray off. The only hat I have ever used for dinghy sailing that does not get knocked off by the boom when tacking

Perhaps its a panama hat I am thinking of.

Do you drive around with them on the rear parcel shelf of your car?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Perhaps its a panama hat I am thinking of.

Do you drive around with them on the rear parcel shelf of your car?

Nope - it was given to me, I look stupid wearing it, so gave it to my daughter in law who looks simply great in any hat.

The Tilley hat is mostly to keep the sun out of eyes and also the spray. Sunglasses get salty water all over them. Plenty of hair, but my mother died of skin cancer caused by too much time in the sun so am ultra careful and do not expose myself when sailing (oo-er, missus:ROFLMAO:)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Post deleted - Flickr not behaving.... sorry

Last edited:

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Hoggers....

To get back to the original point of this thread (not that discussions about novelty millinery isn't fascinating!) I would suggest that the recent announcement about increasing possible fixed penalty charge amounts for certain offences (which are already offences, not creating new offences) is merely one of the latest 'smoke & mirrors' announcements.

A fixed penalty notice needs to be issued by a real person or by an automated device (camera). Relatively easy for straight speeding matters, where you either are or aren't over a set limit. I'm guessing that with a number of pictures over a set distance you could also deal with some middle lane hoggers by this method, but all of them, and what about tailgaiters?

The real person who might issue a FPN would have previously been a police officer..... have you all noticed how much traffic police numbers have been slashed in recent years? The few that are left are now increasingly used for all sorts of duties, not just traffic law enforcement, and especially not on motorways. That leaves.... Highways Agency Traffic Officers? They don't have the power at the moment (I don't think but stand to be corrected) but it wouldn't take many strokes of the Secretary of State's pen to give them it. Is that what we want?

Simon

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yes, that is true, but the fact is that now, it has to go to court. There is still that option but a default FPN will cut out a lot of bureaucracy and free up police time for something more serious.

Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
We use Panama hats (made in Ecuador.......)
(by wrinkly old ecuadorian grannies)

I have the self same hat. Although mine is the cheaper non-squashable version. Panama hats are cool.

I have taken to rather than the traditional hand-waving gesture to other MHs, doffing my panama hat.

Sorry, off topic. Yeah middle lane hoggers. Grrr.

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
That is much, much cooler than waving at other [STRIKE]middle lane hogging[/STRIKE] motorhomers....... I might get mine back, even though I look stupid in any sort of head gear:thumb:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
How things change but still manage to remain the same.

On british roads, how oft is heard
the honking of the weaver bird
the weaver bird has little brain
he weaves about from lane to lane.....

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Putting on a different hat, what would you do if accused of lane hogging. While there are lots of cameras on our road network will they pick up your circumstances. There are cameras in some police vehicles, but many do not have them.

If ever there was a case for your own scam cam then this is it - good defence to produce your own video (if it proves your innocence or even reasonable doubt).

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
DUXdeluxe the French are poor drivers I run my trucks over there every day they come up behind u flashing there lights smelling of garlic and onions :ROFLMAO:

THEY MUST BE CLOSE IF YOU CAN SMELL THEIR BREATH::bigsmile: BUSBY.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I would be more concerned about letting them get a safe distance away. By the way, I work with our French colleagues every day of the week (a major part of my business is there) and surprise, surprise they don't smell......

Can't post actual picture, but here is the Tilley Hat - I was hogging the middle lane in this particular race

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0092009/photos/duxdeluxe/8683571460/

Last edited:

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I must admit to driving in the middle lane if the traffic on the near lane is heavy with lorries .I was driving on the M6 some years ago on the inside lane, lorries to the front lorries to the rear and i ran over a piece of timber that punctured my front and rear ofside tyres .The bang was frightening and was very lucky to get onto the hard shoulder safely .When the police arrived they told me that section was always bad for timber packers ect,falling off backs of wagons.He had a boot full of rubish.Now if i can see well ahead i,m on the inside if not i,m in the middle .:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back