Hit whilst stationary

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ericonabike, May 25, 2013.

1. ericonabike

ericonabike Read Only Funster

Parked up in huge car park in Belgium, with space all around. All of a sudden: bang! Car has reversed into the front of us. Crack in plastic bumper of Autocruise Starburst on Peugeot Boxer, roughly two inches long. Have completed EU claim form thingy, but wondered if anyone has experience of cost to repair/replace? This will affect how I proceed in terms of insurance I think, as I have a £250 excess. Apologies if I don't get back to you immediately as using cafe internet and going home tomorrow!

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Not your fault so claim against other driver or insist your insurance company does.

Peter

3. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Rear panel damage

I reversed into a pile of bricks on my drive the 1st day I bought the van home.:Doh::Doh:

Deeply embarrassed and the £200 was cheap to end my wife's "mike'y taking" remarks.

I mean it's well know girls can't reverse:Wink::Blush::Wink::Blush:

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  4. Terry

Terry Funster

You claim off the other drivers insurance so no excess to stand
    terry

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

years ago I reversed my car into a skip on my drive.......and i knew it was there :Blush:
    lovely crease right across the tailgate :Angry:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Hi Ericonabike.....Mmmm well a similar thing happened to us in a French Aire in south Brittany. 3 to 4 years ago ..this happened while we was fast asleep in an Aire 2.00am in the morning:Eeek:....a local drunk had parked his car in the Aire/motorhome park out of site of the police.....and carried on drinking all day long.....he reversed into me twice also hit another motorhome of a French family on the opposite side...no lighting totally black dark...lucky for me the other van he hit was ex French army and was out well before me and dragged the drunk out of the car, while I was taking all the car details under torch light.
    a must is to take witnesses statements, phone numbers and address as many as you can....in France we must notify the insurance company within 5 days!!!!! and then carry on with the holiday..
    Our rear grey plastic valance was cracked in two to three places....this cost 2300 euros to be repaired under the insurance....

NOT the from drunk's insurance.... as he did not have insurance , or a MOT, or a driving license....nothing.... also he gave a false address (lucky the wife had found his identity card in the car door pocket....his car a HONDA aero deck looked like it had just come back from the crusher rear and front windows half in half out held by black gaffer tape, bonnet and boot was rust rotten, what bit of paint it did have held it together..nothing fitted or closed..door's never closed...what a SH*T HEAP..
    It took just over 12 months to get it sorted:Doh:

Mel

Last edited: May 25, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  7. wasp

wasp Funster

When we got bumped in France the insurers claimed off each other cos thats the way they do it an I lost me no claims, barstewards:Angry::Angry::Angry:

8. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

The bump we had in France from "The drunk in the night".....although it took just over a year...(one of the reasons was, the insurers kept contacting the the Drunk for his insurance details "which he did not have") .....Cost us nothing and also we did not loose any no claims bonus as it was not our fault.......I would imagine they dipped into the multi european pot they have when accidents like this happen for un-insured drivers :thumb:

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  9. jaygee

jaygee Funster

We got hit in Croatia by a parked car when a kiddy opened the door as we went past.
    Clipped our wing mirror but didn't damage it too much but broke the awning bracket & took off one of the fiamma security locks.
    We concluded that it wasn't worth claiming as our excess was £250 , repairs only about £75.
    I thought you only don't pay the excess if it is recovered from the other driver?
    Also it goes down as a claim on your history even if it's a non fault claim.

10. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

By the sound of your description ,it should cost around 150 to £200 to plastic weld/repair/colour.All done in a day.:thumb:

Insurance recomended repairer will charge 500 to cover hire/cleaning/collecting/delivering/ booking in/estimates----

oh and to repair it:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  11. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

My tip: Always have your camera handy. Take pictures of the other guy, his car, his number plate, the damage and position of vehicles. Do this before you think of moving anything.

I also took a picture of his driving licence and insurance documents. Because of language difficulties you might not know which bits of an insurance certificate are very important. If you take a pic you will have all of it.

Be aware, some insurance companies, think you will get fed up if they delay long enough. We had to threaten court action to make any progress.

• Like Like x 3
  12. B-well

B-well Funster

i believe Jaygee is correct that it goes against a claim on YOUR insurance even though not your fault

13. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

Hope you get It sorted Eric ,:Smile:
    Claim away all you can
    because it never ceases to amaze me how much repair shops charge,
    and Insurance companies can be trickier than Weasels.

14. ericonabike

Thanks folks. just got back after cutting holiday short [non-related!]. Thinking a bit clearer now, perhaps. We have NCD protection, so shouldn't lose hard-earned NCD. We have all the other driver's details - to be fair, he was upset over what he'd done and was anxious to make amends and do the right thing. And although he could have written 'all their fault' in Flemish on the form, I'm pretty confident he didn't! So, assuming, things work across the EU as they do here, if I make a claim I should get the £250 excess back. BUT have just thought - I'd have to declare that on the two other cars that I'm insured to drive. and that would presumably put those premiums up...hmmm, more thinking required.

15. Terry

Terry Funster

You should tell your other ins just for info purposes and declare the accident as a none fault.It should not affect your ins at all
    I am just renewing my pick up ins on Tuesday/Wednesday after being in court for DWDCAA last Thursday and insurers said because I was found not guilty means not at fault as well so no difference to my premium :thumb:
    On the flip side the broker AUTONET are saying the renewal invitation is only valid if I take same cover as is on renewal but because I don't want there own Motor legal expenses policy at 39 quid they will not renew without it I.e. take 39 quid off which in my mind is wrong:Angry:The MLE is sold as a extra and is not a requirement so AUTONET are simply trying to rip me off---we shall see what tomorrow or Wednesday brings but I will not be blackmailed by the robbers at AUTONET:Angry:
    I informed the insurers at Aviva back in January so they were aware of it when the renewal was sent out to AUTONET it is simply a case of AUTONET being greedy bar***ds :Angry:
    Terry

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  16. ericonabike

Thought I'd update this as it has had a somewhat surprising result...I had the van repaired, at a cost of £250 and contacted the guy who did the damage in Belgium to see if he was up for simply paying that amount to me, rather than involving his insurers. He advised that he had already passed the EU accident form on to them, but that he would also send on the copy of the bill and receipt that I'd sent him. I assumed that was the end of the matter, and wrote it off. But about 6 weeks ago I got an email from his insurers to say they would refund me the £250 and asking for bank details...

It's taken a little while to come through, but they've now paid me the £250, and I am one happy bunny! No claim on my insurance, no excess, no need to inform insurers of my car that I have made a claim. Sorted, although I'm not sure if there's a moral to the story...

• Like Like x 2
  17. Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam Funster

I crashed my car into my own sycamore tree, whilst turning into my drive. My wife wondered how I could possibly have done it.

I thought it prudent not to mention the young lady in the very short skirt.

• Like Like x 10
  18. JJ

JJ Funster

The moral of the story?

The moral is...

HOORAY FOR THE EU. :Rofl1:

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 2
  19. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Why, was she in the car with you :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 3
  20. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Once, :Doh:In my wilder years:Laughing:

I spent a weekend building a windbreak, 5 100mmx100mm posts, and four 2400x 1200 cement sheets.

On The following Monday it lashed down with Rain, so H&S Ruled we could not work in the Forest Felling Trees, too dangerous. We hung around until 1100hrs (as our work agreement stated, if we left the site before, we would not be paid for the day!) Then went to the Pub:Doh:

At 5pm I got home, reversed my truck (a Bedford J1) into the Drive , AND, demolished the Windbreak:Doh:

The temperature in our house that night was "Ice Age":cry:

• Like Like x 2