Hit whilst stationary (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Parked up in huge car park in Belgium, with space all around. All of a sudden: bang! Car has reversed into the front of us. Crack in plastic bumper of Autocruise Starburst on Peugeot Boxer, roughly two inches long. Have completed EU claim form thingy, but wondered if anyone has experience of cost to repair/replace? This will affect how I proceed in terms of insurance I think, as I have a £250 excess. Apologies if I don't get back to you immediately as using cafe internet and going home tomorrow!

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Rear panel damage

Parked up in huge car park in Belgium, with space all around. All of a sudden: bang! Car has reversed into the front of us. Crack in plastic bumper of Autocruise Starburst on Peugeot Boxer, roughly two inches long. Have completed EU claim form thingy, but wondered if anyone has experience of cost to repair/replace? This will affect how I proceed in terms of insurance I think, as I have a £250 excess. Apologies if I don't get back to you immediately as using cafe internet and going home tomorrow!

I reversed into a pile of bricks on my drive the 1st day I bought the van home.:Doh::Doh:

Deeply embarrassed and the £200 was cheap to end my wife's "mike'y taking" remarks.

I mean it's well know girls can't reverse:winky::Blush::winky::Blush:

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You claim off the other drivers insurance so no excess to stand
terry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I reversed into a pile of bricks on my drive the 1st day I bought the van home.:Doh::Doh:

Deeply embarrassed and the £200 was cheap to end my wife's "mike'y taking" remarks.

I mean it's well know girls can't reverse:winky::Blush::winky::Blush:

Mike
years ago I reversed my car into a skip on my drive.......and i knew it was there :Blush:
lovely crease right across the tailgate :Angry:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi Ericonabike.....Mmmm well a similar thing happened to us in a French Aire in south Brittany. 3 to 4 years ago ..this happened while we was fast asleep in an Aire 2.00am in the morning:Eeek:....a local drunk had parked his car in the Aire/motorhome park out of site of the police.....and carried on drinking all day long.....he reversed into me twice also hit another motorhome of a French family on the opposite side...no lighting totally black dark...lucky for me the other van he hit was ex French army and was out well before me and dragged the drunk out of the car, while I was taking all the car details under torch light.
a must is to take witnesses statements, phone numbers and address as many as you can....in France we must notify the insurance company within 5 days!!!!! and then carry on with the holiday..
Our rear grey plastic valance was cracked in two to three places....this cost 2300 euros to be repaired under the insurance....

NOT the from drunk's insurance.... as he did not have insurance , or a MOT, or a driving license....nothing.... also he gave a false address (lucky the wife had found his identity card in the car door pocket....his car a HONDA aero deck looked like it had just come back from the crusher rear and front windows half in half out held by black gaffer tape, bonnet and boot was rust rotten, what bit of paint it did have held it together..nothing fitted or closed..door's never closed...what a SH*T HEAP..
It took just over 12 months to get it sorted:Doh:

Mel

Last edited:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
When we got bumped in France the insurers claimed off each other cos thats the way they do it an I lost me no claims, barstewards:Angry::Angry::Angry:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
When we got bumped in France the insurers claimed off each other cos thats the way they do it an I lost me no claims, barstewards:Angry::Angry::Angry:

The bump we had in France from "The drunk in the night".....although it took just over a year...(one of the reasons was, the insurers kept contacting the the Drunk for his insurance details "which he did not have") .....Cost us nothing and also we did not loose any no claims bonus as it was not our fault.......I would imagine they dipped into the multi european pot they have when accidents like this happen for un-insured drivers :thumb:

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We got hit in Croatia by a parked car when a kiddy opened the door as we went past.
Clipped our wing mirror but didn't damage it too much but broke the awning bracket & took off one of the fiamma security locks.
We concluded that it wasn't worth claiming as our excess was £250 , repairs only about £75.
I thought you only don't pay the excess if it is recovered from the other driver?
Also it goes down as a claim on your history even if it's a non fault claim.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
By the sound of your description ,it should cost around 150 to £200 to plastic weld/repair/colour.All done in a day.:thumb:

Insurance recomended repairer will charge 500 to cover hire/cleaning/collecting/delivering/ booking in/estimates----

oh and to repair it:ROFLMAO:

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
My tip: Always have your camera handy. Take pictures of the other guy, his car, his number plate, the damage and position of vehicles. Do this before you think of moving anything.

I also took a picture of his driving licence and insurance documents. Because of language difficulties you might not know which bits of an insurance certificate are very important. If you take a pic you will have all of it.

Be aware, some insurance companies, think you will get fed up if they delay long enough. We had to threaten court action to make any progress.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
i believe Jaygee is correct that it goes against a claim on YOUR insurance even though not your fault

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Hope you get It sorted Eric ,:Smile:
Claim away all you can
because it never ceases to amaze me how much repair shops charge,
and Insurance companies can be trickier than Weasels.

OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks folks. just got back after cutting holiday short [non-related!]. Thinking a bit clearer now, perhaps. We have NCD protection, so shouldn't lose hard-earned NCD. We have all the other driver's details - to be fair, he was upset over what he'd done and was anxious to make amends and do the right thing. And although he could have written 'all their fault' in Flemish on the form, I'm pretty confident he didn't! So, assuming, things work across the EU as they do here, if I make a claim I should get the £250 excess back. BUT have just thought - I'd have to declare that on the two other cars that I'm insured to drive. and that would presumably put those premiums up...hmmm, more thinking required.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You should tell your other ins just for info purposes and declare the accident as a none fault.It should not affect your ins at all
I am just renewing my pick up ins on Tuesday/Wednesday after being in court for DWDCAA last Thursday and insurers said because I was found not guilty means not at fault as well so no difference to my premium :thumb:
On the flip side the broker AUTONET are saying the renewal invitation is only valid if I take same cover as is on renewal but because I don't want there own Motor legal expenses policy at 39 quid they will not renew without it I.e. take 39 quid off which in my mind is wrong:Angry:The MLE is sold as a extra and is not a requirement so AUTONET are simply trying to rip me off---we shall see what tomorrow or Wednesday brings but I will not be blackmailed by the robbers at AUTONET:Angry:
I informed the insurers at Aviva back in January so they were aware of it when the renewal was sent out to AUTONET it is simply a case of AUTONET being greedy bar***ds :Angry:
Terry

Last edited:
OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Thought I'd update this as it has had a somewhat surprising result...I had the van repaired, at a cost of £250 and contacted the guy who did the damage in Belgium to see if he was up for simply paying that amount to me, rather than involving his insurers. He advised that he had already passed the EU accident form on to them, but that he would also send on the copy of the bill and receipt that I'd sent him. I assumed that was the end of the matter, and wrote it off. But about 6 weeks ago I got an email from his insurers to say they would refund me the £250 and asking for bank details...

It's taken a little while to come through, but they've now paid me the £250, and I am one happy bunny! No claim on my insurance, no excess, no need to inform insurers of my car that I have made a claim. Sorted, although I'm not sure if there's a moral to the story...

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
I crashed my car into my own sycamore tree, whilst turning into my drive. My wife wondered how I could possibly have done it.

I thought it prudent not to mention the young lady in the very short skirt.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
snipped...

It's taken a little while to come through, but they've now paid me the £250, and I am one happy bunny! No claim on my insurance, no excess, no need to inform insurers of my car that I have made a claim. Sorted, although I'm not sure if there's a moral to the story...

The moral of the story?

The moral is...

HOORAY FOR THE EU. :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I crashed my car into my own sycamore tree, whilst turning into my drive. My wife wondered how I could possibly have done it.

I thought it prudent not to mention the young lady in the very short skirt.

Why, was she in the car with you :ROFLMAO:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Once, :Doh:In my wilder years:roflmto:

I spent a weekend building a windbreak, 5 100mmx100mm posts, and four 2400x 1200 cement sheets.

On The following Monday it lashed down with Rain, so H&S Ruled we could not work in the Forest Felling Trees, too dangerous. We hung around until 1100hrs (as our work agreement stated, if we left the site before, we would not be paid for the day!) Then went to the Pub:Doh:

At 5pm I got home, reversed my truck (a Bedford J1) into the Drive , AND, demolished the Windbreak:Doh:

The temperature in our house that night was "Ice Age":cry:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Years ago when we were in France, we were towing a caravan, a French driver cut us up, tore off the wingmirror and scratched down the car and caravan, we was going to drive off, until we stopped him, an older lady in the back seat started shouting in French, and getrurung with her arms, at that time my French wasn`t that good, my husband just shouted shut up, it`s nothing to do with you, at this point she did, must have got the message, after swopping details, we went off to catch the ferry home,
Later on we had a letter saying that our car had clinged to his , my hubby had already taken photos at the time also the road, signs and road makers,anyway he had someone he worked with who was French, drafted a letter in French, sent letter with photos and time etc. never did hear anymore, had to pay for our damage, didn`t claim on the insurance. couldn`t do with the hassle. he always carries a camera.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
i believe Jaygee is correct that it goes against a claim on YOUR insurance even though not your fault

I did not loose any no claims when my van was written off in Germany. Safeguard claimed full amount £27000 including my excess. No increase on my insurance since BUSBY::bigsmile:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Thanks folks. just got back after cutting holiday short [non-related!]. Thinking a bit clearer now, perhaps. We have NCD protection, so shouldn't lose hard-earned NCD. We have all the other driver's details - to be fair, he was upset over what he'd done and was anxious to make amends and do the right thing. And although he could have written 'all their fault' in Flemish on the form, I'm pretty confident he didn't! So, assuming, things work across the EU as they do here, if I make a claim I should get the £250 excess back. BUT have just thought - I'd have to declare that on the two other cars that I'm insured to drive. and that would presumably put those premiums up...hmmm, more thinking required.

As said earlier my claim in Germany in 2009 has had no impact on any other of my insurance. BUSBY::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It is still a claim and must be reported when you renew your insurance.. Whilst some folk may be lucky, it could end up costing you WAY more than the excess.

There are lots of firms about who do a repair at you home \ convenience average price is usually less than a £100

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i clipped a concrete bollard in a carpark damaging my own 4x4 a couple of years ago. replacement plastic bumper and spraying cost over £1000 through insurance. have since found out it would of been half the price privately not involving insurance. wish i had gone that way as i keep getting pestered by ambulance chasers saying i could claim or my passengers for injury. i also have to mention the claim for 5 years when insuring any of my vehicles. a very expensive dented piece of plastic in the end

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
In my experience the insurance company of the other driver adopts the tactic of "I'm sure you will get fed up before we do."

Luckily for me I had pictures of the damage, his car, his documents, his face, the scratches on his bonnet where he hit my bikes.

After a year I started legal proceedings and they realised I was not going to let it drop. They paid up straight away after that.

Remember, take pics of everything, documents, faces, damage, time, other close by cars.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our mirror replacement, hit by a lorry in Scotland was over £1k but we paid it without claiming on insurance as a claim would almost certainly increase premiums for our four vehicles, so not cost effective to claim.
Why four vehicles, I know it sounds daft, but thats my car, her car, the motorhome and the Toad. We have had discussions on rationalising this but never come to any satisfactory conclusion:Doh:

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
My son's car was shunted on a motorway just outside of Paris. A young French woman admitted it was her fault, she told him she was 'texting on her phone and didn't notice him stopping'. :Blush:

He phoned me as he wasn't exactly sure of where he was and I said to take lots of photos of the scene and he also took pics of the young lady - she did ask him not to place on 'You Tube' though!

Most photos taken on mobile phones have 'Geo Tag' information logged - so makes it very easy to pinpoint exact location as to where accident occurred. He had to pay his excess initially but eventually this was refunded with no impact to his insurance.

Rob

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
A new bumper would cost around £80 - £140 depending on where you get it.

You can claim on his, or just take the equiv cash/pay yourself when you get home as it would be cheaper than excess and won't put any extra on next years premium.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back