Hi there everyone Looking for advice on changing my motorhome without being fleeced. (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
KPM

KPM

Free Member
Jan 31, 2022
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
since September 2019
These replies are amazing. Thank you so much everyone for your superb sensible and honest answers. This is definitely food for thought. I now how a few leads so I will make a few more enquiries . thanks everyone once again.
KPM

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I sold my motorhome last week to Shane at "webuyanymotorcaravan" and have to say he was more than fair. A decent bloke, gave us more than any PX dealer would give us turned up on time and done the deal. He was sensitive to how much we were likely to be losing (only had it 6 months) and also gave me pointers on finding a new one.

OP
OP
KPM

KPM

Free Member
Jan 31, 2022
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
since September 2019
Many thanks, now that's an idea . I have used Motorhome depot a few years ago to help me sell a VW T^ conversion that I had produced. The problem there was they still took £2k for their efforts which when you sell for £34k felt a lot at the time. did "Weanymotorhome " take a % or a fixed amount ? Thanks again

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
KPM

KPM

Free Member
Jan 31, 2022
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
since September 2019
Yes the Island bed thing is interesting isn't it . We were all geared up to try a Chaussan 788 Titanium Premium . Went to Lowdham Leisure world near to us in Nottingham, Lovely looking MH from the outside, but once inside the story changed. We felt that the compromises were too great . Could hardly get by the foot of the bed, on the left side, kept brushing the light switch with my body ( I am not a big chap and only a medium build. Then the partition door to the bedroom was thin, bent and damaged. The kitchen had very little workspace and the drop down bed seemed quite low, also reducing the amount of cupboard space. We would have preferred to see inside one that didn't have the drop down bed. Then there was the access to the drivers seat etc . So we ended up going back to SMC in Newark and as soon as we went inside their P740FC you just knew it was right. Having said that , Brownhills had an Autotrail I believe with an island bed which again seemed to compromise getting past the bottom. Yes it had a clever tilting section for during the day, but at night how you were supposed to get past the bottom of the bed , I don't know. If anyone else has thoughts on island beds please point me in other direction if you feel it may help

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Hi. No we paid £64k for our Pilote P710P by the time we had paid SMC for the tracker, Alarm , bike rack etc. As it was the Sensation it had many extras like the Comfortmatic gearbox, the air assist rear suspension, undersealing and then the Diamondlite paint and fabric protection treatment . SMC have done all the Han services and trouble shooting on things that stopped working. They are now offering me £50k as part exchange against a new P740Fc which they say I will be available in December for £68.5k
50k sounds a suspiciously nice round figure to me. I'd get another quote but another dealer. I forget where SMC is, but are you in reaso able distance of Brownhills.

OP
OP
KPM

KPM

Free Member
Jan 31, 2022
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
since September 2019
SMC is within 1 mile of Brownhills also in Newark. In fact SMC have massively expanded their premises in the last year ( £1.75M) , according to an article in MMM sept 2021. Why do you mention Brownhills? We went there last week where we looked at an Autotrail F70

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
When we sold last year Brownhills offered 7k less than we got for it privately Simon-Alan Kerr offered to buy it at the same price we got for it, but we had already accepted a deposit, which shows he is a trader you can trust to make a fair offer.

OP
OP
KPM

KPM

Free Member
Jan 31, 2022
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
since September 2019
Thanks I will look into Simon myself later. Thanks

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
further to my [post above and your request for suggestions, have you thought of getting single beds and a bathroom right across the back of the van? Its a layout we were totally against, but when we viewed the Adria 670SLT that we bought, we were surprised by how much we liked it, how much extra space it gave us. we originally wanted an island bed (with drop down bed for when the grandchildren were with us) as we were fed up of climbing over each other to get into or out of bed (including night time bathroom visits!!) and thought the island bed would meet our needs, but the single beds on the same level as the rest of the moho and the large bathroom across the back soon changed our minds. i wouldnt be too concerned re kitchen space/worktop space - how much time is actually spent in the kitchen, compared to time spent in the rest of the van?

i think youre doing the right thing by trawling the internet and visiting as many dealers as you can, in your search for a moho that meets all of your actual needs even if it means compromising on the things you 'like/would like'

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
If course if you go to a dealer or other professional sales organisation you are going to take a bit, the need to make a profit and it will be at your expense whether you sell or part exchange. The best way if for you to private sale but that's not easy at these prices. People like the assurance of dealer support (even if that term doesn't mean much once they have your money!)

If you do go through a dealer I think it's a case of ring as many as possible and play one off another to get the best deal.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
If course if you go to a dealer or other professional sales organisation you are going to take a bit, the need to make a profit and it will be at your expense whether you sell or part exchange. The best way if for you to private sale but that's not easy at these prices. People like the assurance of dealer support (even if that term doesn't mean much once they have your money!)

If you do go through a dealer I think it's a case of ring as many as possible and play one off another to get the best deal.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

• Thanks
Reactions: KPM
Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Look at Peter Roberts www.peterrobertscaravans.co.uk based in Honley, West Yorkshire. Tel 01484 662774. Great company to deal with and they should be also at the NEC as they are both caravan and motorhome dealers 👍

• Thanks

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
With less common models, it is hard to give a definitive trade in price, generally it can be agreed by using an average of a couple of similar vans. But every dealership will be looking to make £8-10k on the deal. Yes there is a big shortage of decent second hand vans right now and nearly all the new stock vans for this year are already presold. If you can be without your van for up to 8 months, sell it privately for £5k under dealer retail and order your next van to be built in the autumn

Some people have been very lucky this year with the exaggerated prices caused by staycations and have got back very near to the price they paid last year new. Be aware that new van prices have leapt up accordingly too

• Thanks
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
They are now offering me £50k as part exchange against a new P740Fc which they say I will be available in December for £68.5k
I would expect it to have a value of what you paid for it when you consider the amount the market prices of second hand mh's has increased in the last 2 years.

OP
OP
KPM

KPM

Free Member
Jan 31, 2022
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
since September 2019
I really appreciate your time , experience and wisdom thank you. that is exactly what we were thinking some interesting points .

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think it's going to be worth what someone will pay. I'd try selling it privately first. But I doubt whether diamondbrite or fabric protection will add much to the resale value or most of the extras.

• Thanks

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I think it's going to be worth what someone will pay. I'd try selling it privately first. But I doubt whether diamondbrite or fabric protection will add much to the resale value or most of the extras.
But it's the extras that just might make it stand out from similar priced moho's with similar layout or price. I would make sure you list every additional feature it has and if you get chance, add them to any handbook that you leave with the Moho when you sell !!

• Thanks
OP
OP
KPM

KPM

Free Member
Jan 31, 2022
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
since September 2019
thanks a good idea I dont know that I would pay for them a second time, for exactly that reason

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Pilote p710 sensations are pretty rarely up for sale.

It’s what I am looking at. but as has been said, and as tempting as it is, I wouldn’t part with that kind of cash on a private sale for my first van. Too much of a risk to take.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
A few notes:

1. SMC will want to make as close to the £15,000 profit margin on your van as humanly possible so expect to see them re-advertise it for the same price you paid back in 2018/9.

2. You've mentioned a price for a new P740FC of £68,500 (i.e. the 2021 to 2022 list price) but that should be adjusted to over £72K once you've added a few extra goodies. I would also opt for the 160BHP engine and heavy chassis if you have the necessary C1 license.

3. If SMC has mentioned 'Dec-22' as the proposed delivery date then the van should come in the MY23 guise. If so, has SMC quoted the increased price of a 2023 model.

4. I would give Simon a call at Alan Kerr Motorhomes as he will appreciate the value of your van. However, he's still in business to make money so allow him a chunk for his margin too.

5. Either way an offer of £50,000 for your van is a low ball attempt by SMC to achieve its £15K target margin. We've bought multiple vans from them so we have an idea of their processes. The last offer by them to us was so insulting that I won't ever go back.

Hope you get it all sorted out soon,

Andrew

Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
Hi. No we paid £64k for our Pilote P710P by the time we had paid SMC for the tracker, Alarm , bike rack etc. As it was the Sensation it had many extras like the Comfortmatic gearbox, the air assist rear suspension, undersealing and then the Diamondlite paint and fabric protection treatment . SMC have done all the Han services and trouble shooting on things that stopped working. They are now offering me £50k as part exchange against a new P740Fc which they say I will be available in December for £68.5k
Which gives you the true valuation.
The retail value is near as dam-it what you paid for it.
I’d be wanting 57.5k for it in px

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Yes the Island bed thing is interesting isn't it . We were all geared up to try a Chaussan 788 Titanium Premium . Went to Lowdham Leisure world near to us in Nottingham, Lovely looking MH from the outside, but once inside the story changed. We felt that the compromises were too great . Could hardly get by the foot of the bed, on the left side, kept brushing the light switch with my body ( I am not a big chap and only a medium build. Then the partition door to the bedroom was thin, bent and damaged. The kitchen had very little workspace and the drop down bed seemed quite low, also reducing the amount of cupboard space. We would have preferred to see inside one that didn't have the drop down bed. Then there was the access to the drivers seat etc . So we ended up going back to SMC in Newark and as soon as we went inside their P740FC you just knew it was right. Having said that , Brownhills had an Autotrail I believe with an island bed which again seemed to compromise getting past the bottom. Yes it had a clever tilting section for during the day, but at night how you were supposed to get past the bottom of the bed , I don't know. If anyone else has thoughts on island beds please point me in other direction if you feel it may help
Agree its a compromise. After getting fed up with making up the albeit massive rear bed on our AT Scout we went for the "luxury" of an island bed (hence the Burstner). Now we are not large by any means but found ourselves having to really squeeze past the end of the bed (shower one side and toilet the other). We ended up stepping back onto the very fragile tambour breaking a number of the clips at the bottom. V annoying.
Now waiting for our 1st A class with drop down bed and having realised that whereever we are, if one needs a quick trip to the loo at night, the other invariably does too, we don't expect this compromise arrangement being an issue.

OP
OP
KPM

KPM

Free Member
Jan 31, 2022
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
since September 2019
A few notes:

1. SMC will want to make as close to the £15,000 profit margin on your van as humanly possible so expect to see them re-advertise it for the same price you paid back in 2018/9.

2. You've mentioned a price for a new P740FC of £68,500 (i.e. the 2021 to 2022 list price) but that should be adjusted to over £72K once you've added a few extra goodies. I would also opt for the 160BHP engine and heavy chassis if you have the necessary C1 license.

3. If SMC has mentioned 'Dec-22' as the proposed delivery date then the van should come in the MY23 guise. If so, has SMC quoted the increased price of a 2023 model.

4. I would give Simon a call at Alan Kerr Motorhomes as he will appreciate the value of your van. However, he's still in business to make money so allow him a chunk for his margin too.

5. Either way an offer of £50,000 for your van is a low ball attempt by SMC to achieve its £15K target margin. We've bought multiple vans from them so we have an idea of their processes. The last offer by them to us was so insulting that I won't ever go back.

Hope you get it all sorted out soon,

Andrew
Thank you Andrew for all this helpful and insightful information I am very appreciative. I had wondered if I would be in a stronger bargaining position with my MH as a part ex or in fact cash My gut feeling is they can make money on my van as well as profit on the nee one

Clive Mott

Funster
Nov 12, 2012
New Milton
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
There is a shortage of motorhomes in Europe. Prices are high. Demand is high. Advertise it privately to get the best price. Dealers need to make a profit to survive, they aint a charity!! But dont expect to get a good discount on your next van and do expect a long estimated delivery date. Thats were we are at the moment. Enjoy what you have is the best option.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back