Hi there everyone Looking for advice on changing my motorhome without being fleeced. (1 Viewer)

KPM

Free Member
Jan 31, 2022
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
since September 2019
Hello everyone. I joined as I love to do my research especially when buying a new vehicle. We have a 2 year old Pilote P710 auto with a French bed. Once you use a motorhome you learn a lot more about it and wonder if there are some improvements we could make. We have realised that there may be a better layout for us, yes the Island bed layout of the P740 FC. and the new 9 speed properly automatic gearbox. Having now convinced ourselves we find ourselves in a situation where there appears to be none available in Britain. SMC are our local dealers and yes we have visited them, but there seems little they can do just yet . Sop I am trying to find out as much as I can about how to sell ours, or part exchange it. I don't want to loose more money than necessary to change so hence joining this forum I want to see if there are alternatives ie other dealers , people who really want to buy ours.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I recently part exchanged my 5 year old vehicle for a brand new one at Alan Kerr.
You will have others on here recommending them.
Simon-Alan Kerr will be along at some stage, but I would be tempted to give them a bell and see what they can offer especially if youre buying as well.
Best of luck

OP
OP
KPM

KPM

Free Member
Jan 31, 2022
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
since September 2019
Thanks so much yes we are heading to the show at NEC to see other dealers. I have written emails to some to try and get some vauge idea about the value of ours . I am sure its quite high as its only about 2.5 years old and with the lockdown we have only covered 4200 miles . Any ideas how to get an honest valuation at the moment?

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Hello and welcome!

I can’t help with your valuation but I’m sure someone here will be able to help 😊

Reactions: KPM
OP
OP
KPM

KPM

Free Member
Jan 31, 2022
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
since September 2019
many thanks You know with cars there are various websites like we buy any car .COM

OP
OP
KPM

KPM

Free Member
Jan 31, 2022
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
since September 2019
I know what your saying but I will do my best thanks

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I think there are so many variables with motorhomes which makes them unlike other vehicles to place value on.

You’re not alone in deciding that a different layout would suit you better. We sold the first two motorhomes we owned very quickly, they just weren’t what we needed. We got it right on the third attempt!

Good luck

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
There will always be someone who has bought a better motorhome for less than you paid.

Accept this, and you'll be a happier person.
Concentrate of getting a motorhome with as few issues as possible at a price within your budget, and have a contingency fund.

Layout, layout and layout are the priorities.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Welcome to the forum. Have you looked at Autotrader Motorhomes where you may be able to compare prices of the same or similar models to your own, good luck.

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Welcome to the site , I also was looking at downsizing from my 5 berth Adria to a van conversion type van like an Adria twin , or autosleeper make but trade in prices are not good or at least they want to pay as little as possible I even offered mine for a straight swop for a van conversion same age as my motorhome. But they were not interested

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Try 4Front for a start.Gave me top price and easy to deal with.Used only dealers so seem to always be keen to buy even with about 100 in stock

OP
OP
KPM

KPM

Free Member
Jan 31, 2022
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
since September 2019
Well , thanks ladies and gents for your positive comments I have looked at Auto Trader as well as |Motorhome Depot and Caravan Finder to get some idea of similar age Pilote. Again this was to see if SMC were being fair or not. Seems until anyone can say " Yes we have a Pilote P740FC in stock now," then its like trying to nail a jelly. I wonder if £18.5K to change is perceived a big difference for 2.5 years of use .

Jul 20, 2018
Bridport Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 655
Exp
Trailer tent for 10 years Motorhome since 2018
Welcome, I have read through most of the thread, are you saying your new Motorhome after 2 years of use will loose £18.5k? Surly that can’t be right unless you paid £20k over the odds when you bought it?

OP
OP
KPM

KPM

Free Member
Jan 31, 2022
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
since September 2019
Hi. No we paid £64k for our Pilote P710P by the time we had paid SMC for the tracker, Alarm , bike rack etc. As it was the Sensation it had many extras like the Comfortmatic gearbox, the air assist rear suspension, undersealing and then the Diamondlite paint and fabric protection treatment . SMC have done all the Han services and trouble shooting on things that stopped working. They are now offering me £50k as part exchange against a new P740Fc which they say I will be available in December for £68.5k

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Hello !

Welcome to Fun...
:WelcomeFlag:
Cheers

Red, Chris and Bannock

OP
OP
KPM

KPM

Free Member
Jan 31, 2022
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
since September 2019
Thanks. T if says what I am wondering. We heard stories recently that the dealers were so short of stock they were quite desperate to get hands on newish low milers people were being offered big money for their nearly nee cans Friends of ours 8 moths ago got a brilliant trade in deal so we thought we’d investigate. Trouble is once you start looking it’s as iff nobody has actually got brand new Motorhomes available to buy.

Jul 4, 2021
North Dorset
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
not in the same league… but we bought a second hand MH 6 months go from a dealer. The layout didn’t work for us so we approached a few dealers to get an idea of value. All of them offered us £10,000 less than the typically advertised price in the market.

We thought we would give a private sale a go and it sold within a week at almost the national dealer price. Ours was loaded with extras that the others didn’t have so it stood out from the rest but still, we sold it.

We agreed a price with the buyers, they transferred the money before collection and we issued a receipt of sale and they took the motorhome away.

We didn’t loose any money. Obviously you you have the hassle of having people come to look but for us this was worth the £10,000.

Jul 4, 2021
North Dorset
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Looking in the market, there are no 2020 versions of yours for sale. The 2015/6 that were for sale (all sold) were advertised at £46-£56k.

Either they are very rare, or are selling very quickly.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
5k a year loss sounds about right to me , BUT prices have went up since you bought it so I would try selling it private for about 58k plus , you have nothing to loose

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Put it up for sale in the classified on here for a price that is acceptable to you and then find what you want, but you are very likely to have to wait a long while for a new one. We have changed twice in past 2 years, not lost an awful lot of money (both 2nd hand) Think we now know the layout we want and have ordered new, but will be a near 1 year wait.
Incidentally, we thought we wanted an Island bed (last one) but didn't get on with it, found it too narrow for us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back