Hi there everyone Looking for advice on changing my motorhome without being fleeced. (1 Viewer)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Made contact with a broker yesterday. Motorhome Depot may be a good halfway house. Certainly safer than selling totally privately

That sounds like a good idea (y) especially when there is so little Pilote stock coming to market.

OP
OP
KPM

KPM

Free Member
Jan 31, 2022
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
since September 2019
wow, that is astonishing! Good for you , I wouldn't mind being as lucky as you . I had heard some anecdotes amounting to the same thing, getting more for it after 2 years than one had paid for it . I was hoping for maybe just a couple of grand down or even break even . I'll keep looking thanks

Monkeynuts2215

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 6, 2020
Ashford Surrey
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 600
Exp
Hello everyone. I joined as I love to do my research especially when buying a new vehicle. We have a 2 year old Pilote P710 auto with a French bed. Once you use a motorhome you learn a lot more about it and wonder if there are some improvements we could make. We have realised that there may be a better layout for us, yes the Island bed layout of the P740 FC. and the new 9 speed properly automatic gearbox. Having now convinced ourselves we find ourselves in a situation where there appears to be none available in Britain. SMC are our local dealers and yes we have visited them, but there seems little they can do just yet . Sop I am trying to find out as much as I can about how to sell ours, or part exchange it. I don't want to loose more money than necessary to change so hence joining this forum I want to see if there are alternatives ie other dealers , people who really want to buy ours.
We used Harbour Creek Motorhomes on Hayling Island Paul is very genuine give him a call and see what he can do for you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
Hi

Unless your lucky🙃🙃🙃, not the best time to buy
But it should be a good time sell! Dunno about MoHo’s but car dealers currently selling year old cars with low mileage for higher price than waiting 5/6 months on delivery of new one!What would you have to lose advertising it at price paid & see if you get any enquiries then take it from there? Nothing ventured nothing gained 😀

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
But it should be a good time sell! Dunno about MoHo’s but car dealers currently selling year old cars with low mileage for higher price than waiting 5/6 months on delivery of new one!What would you have to lose advertising it at price paid & see if you get any enquiries then take it from there? Nothing ventured nothing gained 😀
I bought a Range Rover in 2019. I could sell it for £5,000 more today.

Terry Gill

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
These replies are amazing. Thank you so much everyone for your superb sensible and honest answers. This is definitely food for thought. I now how a few leads so I will make a few more enquiries . thanks everyone once again.
KPM
If you really want to sell then sell it privately. You’ll get a better price as there is quite a demand from first timers out there. As for a new van wait 18 months until supply eases and you’ll get a good no part exchange discount. It’s just right now it’s a sellers market.

• Thanks
Reactions: KPM
Jan 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I would try and sell privately through the classifieds of you could sell through the MOTORHOME DEPOT where they do the advertising for you .
Dealers never want to give you the true value as they have to make a profit and cover any warranty issues .
We wanted to sell our Autosleeper Nuevo last year to potentially buy a van conversion with a different layout. After calling in at a large dealer in Derby we were offered a very low value for the Nuevo against a new van as the salesman said it was too old for them to sell,but he did say we would be better off selling privately.
Sure enough we sold the Nuevo on Gumtree within an hour of the advertisement going live for 7K more than he offered and 2K more than we paid for it 9 years previously .
Still no new van yet as there is a delay with the manufacturer due to Fiat van shortage . Delivery was supposed to be March but looks like September now.

• Thanks
Reactions: KPM

Batmobile

Free Member
Apr 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
Pilote 696D
Have some recent and similar experience to this. Last year we traded our VW Campervan for a 2014 Dethleffs which turned out to be a pup. The dealer Pullingers took it back and we "upgraded" to a 2019 Pilote G781 that they had in. It was larger than we had planned for, but we thought we would give it a go as they did not have many alternatives in stock and it was a great spec. Ticket price was £80k for 2019 model with every extra you can imagine. We used it for the summer and it was great, but just too big so decided to trade down to a P696D - which is a layout we liked. Phoned a few dealers and explained what we were trying to do. Signature Motorhomes in Preston suggested they sell the G781 for us on commission. We knew prices had risen and we said out bottom line was what we paid (£80k). We took it to them and provisionally reserved a new P696D. They sold ours in about 8 weeks, taking a px Hymer and returning us our full £80k. They had a ticket price of £90k, which sounds high - but as a dealer I think they will always get more than a private seller. Although I could have tried to sell privately I know many buyers will want to px, so I felt dealer was best placed to do that. So we now have a 696D due within next couple of weeks. Can't recommend Richard at Signature highly enough. He came up with a great solution and delivered on his promise.

OP
OP
KPM

KPM

Free Member
Jan 31, 2022
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
since September 2019
Thank you for sharing this , it is encouraging to hear that there are helpful dealers out there willing to actually try to help and not just going all out to worship the dollar. I also appreciate that they are a business and have to return a profit so cant just give things away. I have heard from Pullingers myself. still waiting to hear back from them but Signature sound like a decent outfit too, Many thanks for your time.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Have some recent and similar experience to this. Last year we traded our VW Campervan for a 2014 Dethleffs which turned out to be a pup. The dealer Pullingers took it back and we "upgraded" to a 2019 Pilote G781 that they had in. It was larger than we had planned for, but we thought we would give it a go as they did not have many alternatives in stock and it was a great spec. Ticket price was £80k for 2019 model with every extra you can imagine. We used it for the summer and it was great, but just too big so decided to trade down to a P696D - which is a layout we liked. Phoned a few dealers and explained what we were trying to do. Signature Motorhomes in Preston suggested they sell the G781 for us on commission. We knew prices had risen and we said out bottom line was what we paid (£80k). We took it to them and provisionally reserved a new P696D. They sold ours in about 8 weeks, taking a px Hymer and returning us our full £80k. They had a ticket price of £90k, which sounds high - but as a dealer I think they will always get more than a private seller. Although I could have tried to sell privately I know many buyers will want to px, so I felt dealer was best placed to do that. So we now have a 696D due within next couple of weeks. Can't recommend Richard at Signature highly enough. He came up with a great solution and delivered on his promise.
well done

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back