Herpetology

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Fireman Sam, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam Funster

I’m considering the viability of acquiring a TOAD as an additional car. My existing car is far too big (Volvo 850 T5) to be pulled behind the MH. Problem is that I Have very little spare drive space to accommodate the proposed Toad. A Smart would fit, but occasionally we would need four seats. Any suggestion for small slim cars that might be suitable?

My other dilemma is my concerns re' the on-going debate on Fun about the future legality of Toads here and abroad. All your wise thoughts and suggestions, as always, will be much appreciated.

Mike (AKA Sam)

2. Phill D

Phill D

i recently did an exercise for myself on the cost feasibility of a TOAD; :Blush:

this is where i ended up:-

TOAD ( reasonable smart car ) £3000
    tow bar and electrics for van £750
    A Frame costs £1000

total so far £4750...

now without considering,

TOAD depreciation, slight reduction in fuel economy on van, extra ferry costs, Tx, mot, insurance on TOAD, tyres maintenance all of which are ongoing..... and annual cost extra to initial outlay.

avarage cost of a small hire car in France during off seasons.. £22 - £30 / day depends where and when and includes DW.

Outlay £4750, so thats a minimum of 158 days i could hire a car in France for the same outlay without counting annual costs.
    to me thats around 5 - 6 years worth of car hire assuming 30 days a year over a period of 60 days a year across the water.

i like the thought of having a TOAD but dont think it viable for me... but each to our own:thumb:
    maybe i'm tooooo skingy and mean....:Eeek:

• Like Like x 9
  3. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Clever thread title :thumb:
    I had to look it up :Blush:

Buy a trailer to be on the safe side.
    Any small four seater would then do, the choice of car would be up to your personal preference then.
    You are really restricted by the towing capacity of your MH, so do your homework on trailer and car kerb weights.

• Like Like x 1
  4. neilydun

neilydun Read Only Funster

We had the same problem. We have an Insignia estate, far too big.
    I have just bought a Fiat Panda, on an 07 plate. We went for the 100hp one, which is actually really fun to drive, and now the Insignia gets left on the drive, unless the all three children want to come out with us (which is pretty much never).
    Pretty good on fuel, over 40 mpg, cheap insurance £200.
    Not sorted the a-frame yet, but i`m looking at this type of system http://www.unibrake.co.uk/

• Like Like x 1
  5. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

We have a Peugeot 107 5door with car a tow a frame , small economical and nippy, same as Toyota Aygo and Citroen C1 :thumb: much better than the restrictive Smart car .

• Like Like x 2
  6. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

BTW, thought this thread was about STDs :Eeek:

• Like Like x 4
  7. neilydun

Some toads do have warts !

• Like Like x 2
  8. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

We looked at towing about a year ago and decided it wasn't for us.

We looked at a Toyota Aygo (840Kg) and a Smart Trailer (275Kg) as a suitable setup.

Decided to go down the road of hiring a car when we need one.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam Funster

Thank you all for this helpful info’. I think that I will be looking at the narrowest four seaters available.
    Trouble is, all fairly modern cars seem to be so much wider than I can accommodate.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Mike

10. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

I suppose the obviously answer is thr forfour.

The c1/c2 also is worth a look in a four doors (looks like a two door)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

We use a Chevrolet matiz, small and light but can carry 4 adults and a medium dog if needed. :Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Phill D

Phill D

Had an Aygo a while back, tiny outside big inside, like a mini tardis :Rofl1:

just watch the rear lights leak rain water like a preverbial sive on these earlier models:Sad:

• Like Like x 1
  13. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

It's a crazy idea - you need on site transport - you propose to tow this, possibly illegally - you pay two lots of wear and tare, tax and insurance.

You need a caravan. One lot of tax and insurance. Huge space for little money.

14. neilydun

Maybe not. For me, we have a fairly large family car, which is not that great on mpg. We seem to have the three children with us, less and less, these days.
    The op has a Volvo t5, also not great for mpg I would assume.
    If a small, lightweight car, which could have free or £30 road fund, be very cheap to insure, and run could be bought, it might be cheaper than running a big heavy uneconomical car around all the time.
    Plus, you get to take it away with you.

• Like Like x 1
  15. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

A very valid point.

However, cars that can tow a caravan can be surprisingly economical these days.

16. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

We were toying with the idea of doing away with the "Toad" and "A" Frame and Trailer...

And going down the route of hiring,,,, but thought if we only want to stop in one place en-route to Spain - Portugal - or Italy or where ever......... Could be a problem/hastle getting one for just a day or two..

So decided to keep as we are.... that way we have it with us what ever...

And as with us a few years ago.... we had to get back to the UK in a hurry, and didn't` want to drag the rig back, and couldn`t get a flight for love nor money.. so ended up driving back in the Toad,, and then driving back to Spain to carry on our trip... :Smile:

17. Trikeman

Trikeman Read Only Funster

Now just the Wife, the dog and myself, did the hiring thing but what a nightmare. Sometimes it took an age to find the hire car companies, and then to get it back - some didn't want to deliver them to sites or pick them up, 'you want to carry a dog' :Eek!: so we decided the Wife's car needed changing - we bought this..... does both jobs now.

[​IMG]

I agree that these 'little' Peugeot 107's (or the Ayego or C1 - same car - ish) are mini tardis's,,,,, we cann get everything we need in and it tows superb, just don't forget it's there :Laughing: If you have a rear window get a fresnell lens and you can keep your eye on it.
    £79 insurance (had to go direct as most of the brokers said "not worth giving you a quote as there's nothing in it for us") £20 12 months tax and around 60 to the gallon.......:thumb:

Go for it.

Trikeman. :Wink:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  18. lee52

lee52 Funster

Ive been thinking about this as well my car is a vec vxr and have no intentions of changing it for a smaller car, cant justify buying a second car for the MH, dont want to be fitting a dedicated aframe system to my vec, so basically I cn car trailer (big n bulky ) so whats the legality on using a towdolly (braked one ) http://www.mobilestructures.com/Car Tow 05.html

and am I right in thinking the recovery type aframes would not be Legal? due to not having a brake system

19. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

[/HI]

Only to be used by RAC & AA or breakdown company...

Car must have independent braking system... :Smile:

20. schojac

schojac Read Only Funster

I have a toad; it is illegal because it does not match exactly the requirements of the road traffic act ****** done and dusted. The whole saga regarding toads is a one that has been discussed at great length before and there are always pros and cons. As with most things in life you make the decision that is best for you at that time. Allegedly, the whole issue regarding towing four wheeled vehicles will be resolved sometime in 2014. personally I would wait to see what happens at this alleged day as converting any car is not cheap.

My toad - best thing I've bought except for my Autotrail :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2