Help please

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Frederick, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Frederick

Frederick

Hi, Just purchased my first camper van {auto sleeper warwick duo}parking it up for winter on my drive and not sure what I should do about leaving electrics on. I can plug in on mains but don't know whether I should leave control panel and fuse box on or off regarding keeping the batteries charged. I have had a caravan for about 12 years now, so understand about draining the water off, which I have done already, and taken all the cushion etc. out, any more advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Hi Frederick

Congratulations on purchasing your first motorhome. My personal advice is to treat it like a car. Ensure you have anti freeze etc in and to start it, slightly move/drive it every so often over the winter.

We tend to use ours throughout the year so it doesnt sit for months on end but I am sure those who regularly put their motorhomes to bed for the winter will soon be along with good advice

3. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

I would just hook it up every couple of weeks but also be sure to take it out for a drive every 4 weeks or so to keep everything working as it should be. Unused vans seem to be the ones that develop issues........ Hope that helps and congrats on a very nice van

4. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Why not join us at the Essex Mersea Island meet this weekend at Waldegraves

come and meet some funsters xxxx not too far for you. If you dont want to bring the motorhome you could always drive down saturday afternoon and stop a while xxx

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    Thats a reply to warm the cockles of your heart,fair play to you,how to welcome people aboard,M/fun.
    Tea Bag

• Like Like x 1
  6. Frederick

Frederick

Hi, Ourcaravansbeentrashed, Thanks for the invite, afraid cant make it this weekend a bit busy,hopefully another time.

7. Frederick

Frederick

oops sorry I misread should be campervan not caravan, Sorry.

8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

another bit of good advice given to me years ago by a mechanic uncle. always try and keep the diesel tank topped up over winter. damp air in the top of a diesel tank will allow a type of algae to grow on the top of the diesel and on the walls of the tank. this gunge that grows in there then gets sucked into the fuel line when you next use the van and the levels drop causing major problems

its much cheaper in the long run to just keep the tank full

9. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

If a fuel tank is full it Oslo helps to avoid condensation build up
    Half empty tanks tend to draw in moisture and result in problems with water in filters
    Even more so in in spring and a fall when you get big temperature changes overnight

10. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster