Help please (1 Viewer)

Nov 7, 2013
Gt Dunmow, Essex
Funster No
MH
adria
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, Just purchased my first camper van {auto sleeper warwick duo}parking it up for winter on my drive and not sure what I should do about leaving electrics on. I can plug in on mains but don't know whether I should leave control panel and fuse box on or off regarding keeping the batteries charged. I have had a caravan for about 12 years now, so understand about draining the water off, which I have done already, and taken all the cushion etc. out, any more advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hi Frederick

Congratulations on purchasing your first motorhome. My personal advice is to treat it like a car. Ensure you have anti freeze etc in and to start it, slightly move/drive it every so often over the winter.

We tend to use ours throughout the year so it doesnt sit for months on end but I am sure those who regularly put their motorhomes to bed for the winter will soon be along with good advice

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I would just hook it up every couple of weeks but also be sure to take it out for a drive every 4 weeks or so to keep everything working as it should be. Unused vans seem to be the ones that develop issues........ Hope that helps and congrats on a very nice van

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Why not join us at the Essex Mersea Island meet this weekend at Waldegraves

come and meet some funsters xxxx not too far for you. If you dont want to bring the motorhome you could always drive down saturday afternoon and stop a while xxx

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Thats a reply to warm the cockles of your heart,fair play to you,how to welcome people aboard,M/fun.
Tea Bag

OP
OP
F
Nov 7, 2013
Gt Dunmow, Essex
Funster No
MH
adria
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, Ourcaravansbeentrashed, Thanks for the invite, afraid cant make it this weekend a bit busy,hopefully another time.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
another bit of good advice given to me years ago by a mechanic uncle. always try and keep the diesel tank topped up over winter. damp air in the top of a diesel tank will allow a type of algae to grow on the top of the diesel and on the walls of the tank. this gunge that grows in there then gets sucked into the fuel line when you next use the van and the levels drop causing major problems

its much cheaper in the long run to just keep the tank full

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
another bit of good advice given to me years ago by a mechanic uncle. always try and keep the diesel tank topped up over winter. damp air in the top of a diesel tank will allow a type of algae to grow on the top of the diesel and on the walls of the tank. this gunge that grows in there then gets sucked into the fuel line when you next use the van and the levels drop causing major problems

its much cheaper in the long run to just keep the tank full

If a fuel tank is full it Oslo helps to avoid condensation build up
Half empty tanks tend to draw in moisture and result in problems with water in filters
Even more so in in spring and a fall when you get big temperature changes overnight

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back