Help needed please re: Fiamma ultrabox and bike rack

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Hel999, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Hel999

Hel999 Funster

Does anybody have any ideas how best we can fix the Ultrabox 500 we have bought to the existing bike rack on our MH. The bike rack is a Fiamma carrybike pro c compact. As it isnt one of the very tall bike racks we are struggling to find the best way to secure it.

Attached Files:

2. Hel999

Hel999 Funster

The box came with clamps but they arent long enough to go round the bike rails.

3. androidGB

androidGB Funster

Please excuse me if this sounds obvious, but have you Removed/spun around those clips that hold the rack in the upright position.?

How long are the clamps?

Andrew

4. Hel999

Hel999 Funster

IMG_0927.JPG IMG_0929.JPG IMG_0928.JPG

clamps are only 3 1/4 inches

5. androidGB

androidGB Funster

Found this in another thread

"That's just the issue DBK, the Ultra Box can be attached to the Carry Bike Pro C, but only the bottom U bolts can be fitted, while the fitting instructions (which are basically diagrams) show that the top U bolts must always be fitted. The retailer 'agentfiamma' have asked for clarification from the importers, and have told me that there is a Q & A article which is on the websitehttp://www.fiamma.com/EN/service/faqs/ and add 'It is just unfortunate the the Fiamma instructions don't match this advice'. The website says:-
    "All three Ultra-Box for Carry-Bike (320, 360, 500) can be mounted on all Fiamma Carry-Bike apart for the ones with the non-aligned rails, or not centred in the Carry-Bike (VW T5 D, VW T4 D, DJ 200, 200 D, Renault Trafic D).
    This implies that Fiamma do not recognise that the Ultra Box cannot be fitted on their Carry Bike Pro C in accordance with their own instructions.
    The retailer agentfiamma further inform me that this matter is to be raised at the German Conference in late August.
    In the meantime agentfiamma are making arrangements to recover the Ultra Box from me. "

Could this perhaps point to the problem

Andrew

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. The Wino

The Wino Funster

If you loosen the red clamps on the top bit of the bike rack and tilt the top back to meet the box will the clamps the not reach?

7. Hel999

Hel999 Funster

That sounds like the problem. Looks like we are having to make do with bungees but im just not sure if it will be secure enough.

8. bubble63

bubble63 Funster

Remove the bike rails?

9. Hel999

Hel999 Funster

if i tilt the top any further forward the box lid doesnt open as it catches. Think i will buy some extended u bolts for the bottom but Im a bit stuck about the top.

10. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

I have a Fiamma 500 box attached to a Fiamma bike rack. here is a photo of the bike rack the installer said would be suitable:
    03 172.JPG

When my gmail allows me to I'll post a pic of how the box is attached to the rack.

11. Hel999

Hel999 Funster

Hubby wondered that. Will give it a try tomorrow when its stopped raining.

12. Hel999

Hel999 Funster

@Mack100 We will probably need to change the bike rack in the end to one like that, but unfortunately we go away on Tuesday and wrongly assumed the box would fit the rack that was already on our MH. Ah well, its all part of the fun i guess.

13. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

Sadly I think you're right. The box will have to clamped to rack very firmly indeed to avoid flexing of the rear panel.

14. travelling wilbury

travelling wilbury Funster

what are you planning to carry there.....heavy stuff, bulky stuff or both...

the other thing is, do you carry bikes.....as bikes and the box cant be carried together....

if you really just want to carry extra external storage, perhaps a tow bar mounted affair might do the job....or even mounted on chassis extensions....

the thing is, the mounting brackets for your bike rack dont have much distance between them height wise, so a large box full of stuff will be applying quite a force on those brackets.....with mack100's rack, the spacing is far greater so the 'downward twisting force' is more easily dealt with....

if i were planning to carry anything too heavy id be looking at something more substantial attached to the chassis......extensions or towbar......

i had one of these boxes, i did work out how to fix it on, but as we used the bike rack, i sold the back box....

15. Dave K

Dave K Funster

When I took my storage box off to fit a bike rack the bottom guides for the bike wheels were removed, it was fixed at that point to the box with nuts and bolts, from memory it was also fixed through the back

• Like Like x 1
  16. Badknee

Badknee Funster

What would help is a couple of Munson rings and a length of screwed rod. They are used to hang pipes in a plant room and you can get rubber lined ones but I couldn't find any images but they do exist I have used them.
    Clamp round bike rack. Cut rod to length, fasten base plate to box with big washers inside box or a plate and job done. If this doesn't make sense pm me :)

image.jpeg

17. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

I've finally got the photo!
    This is how we attach the box to the rack, as you see your rack does not extend far enough upwards for both sets of clamps to engage.
    IMG_0086.JPG

18. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Can you not unbolt the top hoop that the bungies are clipped to.

Turn 180 degrees - re-bolt it back on - would that not crank it towards the box a bit better?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Badknee

Badknee Funster

There you go.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  20. Eddystone

Eddystone Funster

I'm like travelling wilbury in considering what you put in it.

The bike rack has a 50kg limit, as far as I can remember, and that relates to the way the whole rack is attached to the Mo ho back panel.

Brian

• Like Like x 1