Help needed for a newbie!

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by adam1234, Jun 19, 2013.

1. adam1234

adam1234 Read Only Funster

Hi,

Im hiring a motorhome in a couple of weeks with a couple of friends for the 1st time!

We are slightly confused on the electric side of things - we wont have electric hook-up at any point of our trip so we just have a leisure battery and a solar panel fitted according to the hirers.

What would we be able to put into the plugs to use? Can we use things iphone chargers, hairdryers etc??

Will the fridge run off the leisure battery. We are setting up camp on Wednesday afternoon and leaving Monday morning - will the battery last?

Thank you for your help in advance!

2. laneside

laneside Funster

Oooooer I suspect you may get enough answers to confuse you and I suggest you ask the question to the person hiring it to you.

But as a generalisation none of the three pin plugs will work when off hook up neither will the fridge work of battery when the engine is turned off but it should be possible to run it off gas

It is possible to run the other bits off the 12 volt circuit with inverters but I doubt you will want to go to this expense.

Basically anything you could already charge using the cigar lighter socket you will still be able to use

3. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

As laneside says - run the fridge on gas, cheaper and less drain. Hairdriers will kill you battery life, even with inverters. You may need to be resourceful as far as drying your hair goes. Have a look at where you are going and check out truck stops or similar that may have mains power.
    The battery should last you four days, especially with the solar panel and some good weather. Try not to waste power though!

4. adam1234

Thank you for your replies! The hirer company dont really answer my questions very well!!

We will have to purchase a 9v hairdryer.

Iphone chargers wont work either in the sockets? Will that have to be 9v too?

5. laneside

laneside Funster

Hey not 9 volt 12 Volt required

6. adam1234

That's what I meant! Not sure why i wrote 9v!

7. adam1234

8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

looks like you're on the right track, you need to buy in car chargers for your phone/s. if you look around you can get a universal one with various tips, so could use this to charge a few phones but one at a time.

forget 12v hairdryers they're useless and would take a week to get hair dry

9. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

and still run the battery flat. Go swimming and then dry off in the sun. Don't expect the water in the van to last a couple of weeks especially if you all like a shower every day. A) you will run out of water and B) you will flatten your battery. Off site for 2 weeks you will have to plan where to get water and where to empty your grey tank as well as the cassette I suspect you may need to visit a site every other day to fill up and empty out with three of you. wild camping or off site camping is not easy to the beginner when you have no idea how long anything lasts. Plus if off site in a public place you will not be able to drink if you value your licence.
    But it's still an adventure enjoy and let us know how you get on.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  10. adam1234

Hot water

Thank you for all your replies.

Just wondered how the hot water works when you are not on hook up. Can i get hot water still ??

11. laneside

laneside Funster

Yes you should be able to warm the water with a gas heater if that fails it's boiling the kettle jobbie