Help Motorhome battery DEAD....can you help please?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Miss Daisy, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Miss Daisy

Miss Daisy Funster

Hi please can some one help?

Nuevo Autosleeper Peugot Boxer van 2014

Our motor home appears to have no battery power at all. Everything has stopped working. Although this morning after plugging in electric hook up the Leisure battery is now showing up and has power. We are parked at home, thankfully

Nothing else is working, ignition etc

Does any one have any idea what may be wrong?
    Thanks

2. Badknee

Badknee Funster

How long has it been stood? Days, week, months? It will help to understand if indeed there is a fault.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Get a multimeter direct to see if you have 12.5v or higher on the battery. 12 i would say is low. are you even getting a click from the starter solenoid? Bit of luck you left a light on and battery is flat. Slightly less luck battery is 100% dead and even less luck is you have 12.5v and its something else (Could be a fuse((Fingers crossed)) If you dont have a meter you can get them in B&Q or halfords for around £8

• Like Like x 1
  4. Miss Daisy

Miss Daisy Funster

since Christmas, but we did have a run out about 3wks ago, all was ok then

5. WillH

WillH Funster

3 weeks is about how long my chassis battery would last before needing a charge, okay now since I had a solar panel fitted.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Due to current drain and the cold weather your batteries are flat.
    Best solution to stop this happening again is to have a solar panel
    and a Battery Master fitted.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. glenn2926

glenn2926 Funster

Sounds like your vehicle battery is discharged. Mine did that a few weeks ago. If you are on hook up at home plug a battery charger into one of the sockets ( I used my motorbike one) and charge up the vehicle battery. This will require leaving at least 24 hours. Should then be good to go. I have since wired in a system where by the vehicle battery is charged whilst on hook up. Can't remember what make it is but it was recommended on here.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Speve

Speve Funster

If your charger trickles the vehicle battery it's a good idea to leave on hook up when parked up at home but sounds like you need to get a new battery

9. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

10. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

Wouldn't a battery master put excess charge into the leisure battery but would need the engine running a solar panel with a regulator that charged both batteries would be better

joe

11. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

The solar panel charges the leisure battery. Once the leisure battery is charged the Battery Master allows the charge, which is no longer needed by the leisure battery to go to the engine battery if needed. There is no need to have the engine running.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Miss Daisy

Miss Daisy Funster

Thank you for your replies. We do already have a solar panel, which as far as I understand feeds the Leisure Battery. I have no idea if it feeds the Vehicle battery

13. Badknee

Badknee Funster

As far as I know we have a relay on ours that when our starter battery is full the alternator switches over to charge the leisure batteries. I don't thing this works in reverse so your solar panel may or may not be of help but at this time of year it won't be working flat out anyway.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Teamsaga

Teamsaga Funster

Hi Miss Daisy,
    on autosleepers you can charge the vehicle battery from the hook up cable by selecting the vehicle battery on the panel. my Autosleeper also switches between batteries automatically.
    I have owned 3 autosleepers and none of them would last 3 weeks without charging. the built in operating discharge is about 0.3 amps/hr. this is approx. 50 amp/hrs per week, enough to kill a battery in 2 weeks. leaving a battery flat can kill it permanently.
    Regards Phil

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. campa cola

campa cola Funster

Can you say What is causing that kind of discharge ?

16. campa cola

campa cola Funster

If you get a multimeter there are some more indepth but easy to do tests as outlined in post 11 in this thread http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/solar-batteries-wild-camping.124933/#post-1747488

17. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

Thought it worked of alternator

18. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

You need to understand how your electrical system works otherwise you are in danger of repeating this problem again. (if you always do what you've always dome you will always get what you've always got!). You have a modern motorhome so you should have an up to date sophisticated electrical system and I strongly suggest you read your operating manuals so you know how to ensure your batteries are being charged when in use and more importantly when not in use.
    Your flat battery may be recoverable after charging so do not replace it until you have established if a, it's buggered and b, you know what to do to prevent this from happening again.

• Like Like x 1
  19. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Just Cut and Pasted this from another Post earlier this evening. (my Post).

ALL. Modern Vehicles have "Ghost" current drain. Things like. Clocks, ECM`s, Alarm systems?. even the fridge "memory", And a myriad other small drains, which will take down a Battery. The solutions are as diverse as Keeping it on an EHU. Fitting sufficiently sized Solar charging Panels. Taking it out REGULARLY , Not just once, now and again!. Using a Battery master, type device will ONLY delay the inevitable as eventually you will have 2 (or more) flat batteries.

In the "Olden days". I would keep two batteries. One on the (then) Caravan, one at home Charging. Swap them over every week or two. That was for an early day Alarm / Tracker.

Pete

20. WillH

WillH Funster

My solar panel has 90% of the charge going to the leisure battery and the remaining 10% to the chassis battery. This more than adequate. One tip, when not using the van switch off the control panel that cuts 'ghost' discharge right down. Also, if you have rear view camera, check where the supply comes from, ours was permanently on powered from the leisure battery, now fitted with a flick switch in the dash. I only noticed it one night when walking round the back of the van and noticed the infra-red LED's were glowing.

• Like Like x 1